Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone using Desknow for personal email/webmail server?

Options
  • 12-02-2004 1:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭

I've been playing with desknow and I am impressed ... VERY easy to install and configure and a shitload of features ...
    I'd recommend it to anyone who wants to have a dabble at making their own email server.... (to all the budding email server admins: you need a domain, I know most peeps in this forum will have one, but some wont and will encounter the question: "type in your domain" and they will say to themselves WTF?)

My question though is: how the hell to disable the secure login ..the reason is that it starts off a seperate daemon for it (you can start the app in console mode ... can see all processes starting and even watch emails being sent/received, watch people logging in etc) and I have this running on a old laptop at home with only 64MB of ram, (the laptop is nice and quiet so I leave it always on connected to Netsource, so I can read my email anywhere anytime), the problem arises when a few people are actively using it at the same time, it kills the poor old laptop and brings the application to an almost halt ... I'm trying to lighten the application and reduce the number of unwanted threads/sub-processes ....

I'd be very slow to disable zonealarm and avg antivirus, but I seriously thinking about it to increase performance .... and before people start going offtopic about the merits of firewalling and viruscanning: STOP ...

I'll be looking at having a go at editing up the login_default.jsp file so I can host a small website as well :D ...... (make a page out of it with links to other files and the webmail login in the top right hand corner ... or something like that)

The only downside is that after 30 days users wont be able to self-register for email ... some other functions will disappear as well.. not entirely sure which ones :(, but its still a fabulous application for what it costs (€0.00 :D) ... but the most important email/webmail and collaboration tools will keep on humming along ....

Advertisement