Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dmoz.org Reorganisation affecting Irish sites

Options
  • 12-02-2004 3:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭

I've just been looking over the latest Dmoz (http://www.dmoz.org ) rdf files (the raw data used to generate the Dmoz directory) and it appears that Dmoz is reorganising the Irish section. It has apparently reintroduced localities and has also moved around a few other listings.

A lot of Irish sites are listed in Dmoz and most of the major search engines, Google included, use it as spider fodder. I can see the logic behind the Dmoz activity but I don't particularly agree with it because it makes a mess of some smaller counties. On the upside, the latest update has removed some of the dead sites.

Regards...jmcc

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭jmcc

Originally posted by daveirl
    I've been waiting 3 weeks for them to add my site! Could the editor of the section be AWOL?

A lot of the sections seem to have no editors at all. As a result, any inclusions seem to be bumped up to the next editor up.

The main problem with this 'reorganisation' is that it is dividing down an already depleted dataset. Some counties do not have a high number of entries in Dmoz. When I saw that the internet listings for Waterford was zero, I knew something bad was happening. It seems to be reverting to that fscked up local.ie idea of localities. This is a bad idea because businesses tend to be pitching to a whole area and not just a locality. Thus the main area of operations for a Waterford internet business is Waterford not some bloody "locality" that appeals to the happy-clappies.

Google has not switched to the new structure yet but I am wondering if the new structure will have an effect on the PR of sites. If say a website is moved to a lower PR "locality" site then the PR of that new listing will be lower. I just checked a few of the lower level locality pages and they are not ranked by Google.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Terminator

As a DMOZ editor of a small category (Irish/Business/Internet) I agree with your point - sites should ideally be put into the main category first and then listed in localities too if the site owner requests it or the editor thinks its relevant.

However, I don't think pagerank is to big an issue though - being listed anywhere in Dmoz is a good thing and even if the most relevant category for your site is pr 0 - a link from a related page is more valuable than a link from a PR8 page that has nothing to do with your site.

Advertisement