Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

wheels wrecked by crap road

• 12-02-2004 6:25am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 622 ✭✭✭

- I live in Edenderry and have to go to work via Carbury and Clane. This stretch of road is a complete shambles as it is, but now has been augmented with a rake of potholes you could nearly fit a sack of spuds into. Had a blowout last Wednesday as a result of going into one of these. The wheel had a big dint as a result and with the new tyre on was causing the steering to rattle like f*ck and making the odd thumping sound at low speeds. Brought the car to a garage today and they say that ALL my wheels are f*cked, along with a bushing on the front axle. The wheels were perfect when I moved down 2 MONTHS AGO.
    I know there's no compensation to be gotten from these incidents. However, its a joke that we pay motor tax if this is what we are getting in return. Has anyone else complained about similar problems to Co.Councils/TD's etc and gotten any kind of positive response i.e. one which resulted in someone getting off their hole to fix the problem?

Cheers
    Neil

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭Fudger

yea, have had a very similiar problem myslef. I spend alot of time on the road all over the country and my car is falling apart, the roads are crap everywhere. You don't even have to be travelling at any great speed, some of the pothoes are so deep even rolling into them will damage the wheel rim. Its crazy the money we are paying, VRT and car tax and nothing seems to be done about it. About 6 months ago I was driving past a certain Co Council office in Kilkenny and there was a pothole as big a crater outside the office's entrance in the middle of the public road. Goes to show how much they care really.

Ended up getting rid of my alloy's their just not practical driving around the country and cost a bloody fortune to get dints taken out.

I blame the bloody trucks, overloaded and overspeeding.................

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Problem with Ireland is the number of roads we have to maintain. It would make a lot of sense to stop maintaining lane ways and bohereens in many parts of the country conentrating on the R, N and M routes. Unfortunately, our unstainable policy of on off housing in rural parts means there is invariably a 2 car family living on any given bohereen. They of course expect their roadway to maintained to national standards. Thus to keep these voters happy the council are forced to spend money on repaiing these roads taking away from the over all roads budget.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

where I lived in Canada they had this sort of thing. Main roads great. Back roads gravel- packed. got as cold as -30 there so weather was way worse.

When the tour was over here, they did up the roads to top irish standard. Some of the cyclists were still complaining. these lads race over cobbles in belgium :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The usual ****e eh? Tonight I drove part of the way home on back roads to avoid the traffic on the Cork Road and Inner Ring Road in Waterford so I took off down to Six Cross Roads and across to the Tramore Road. The Six Cross Roads area has always been ****e but even when they try to do something with it, its just half the job. The City Council will say they dont have the money which is true. Whatsmore you can't sue a local authority for bad roads due to lack of maintainence.

Mike.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

one pothole at less than 30mph - one puncture, two damaged rims, font suspension arm, engine mounting brackets (which meant the exhaust had to be replaced later on).

• Advertisement

Unfortunately, you can't sue the council for not fixing the road but you can sue them if they fix it incorrectly and damage your vehicle!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

So it's actually in the councils interest to NOT fix roads..
    Explains a lot.

"a good deed never goes unpunished"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Occidental

Originally posted by BrianD
    Problem with Ireland is the number of roads we have to maintain. It would make a lot of sense to stop maintaining lane ways and bohereens in many parts of the country conentrating on the R, N and M routes. Unfortunately, our unstainable policy of on off housing in rural parts means there is invariably a 2 car family living on any given bohereen. They of course expect their roadway to maintained to national standards. Thus to keep these voters happy the council are forced to spend money on repaiing these roads taking away from the over all roads budget.

I'd be interested in seeing some of these lane ways and bohereens which are maintained to national standards. Maybe they're in Howth or Dalkey.

Sorry for the confusion. I was saying that there is an expectation from one-off house dwellers that their bohereen will be maintained to national standards. It is obviously not the case. At the same time, the council have to send a road crew with a tar truck to fill in the holes on a regular basis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,511 ✭✭✭✭Victor

The Edenderry to Dublin road is being upgraded this year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15 wisp

I frequent many dubious 'roads' in my local vicinity also. It has become blindly clear that the local authorities are ignorant and generally very stupid regarding the reasons for these potholes to occur, namely the complete lack of draining. Drainage of the roadside would greatly reduce the occurrence of potholes. Why cant they carry out this simple task?

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭ai ing

Unfortunately, you can't sue the council for not fixing the road but you can sue them if they fix it incorrectly and damage your vehicle!

It seems that you can sue the local authority if the damage to the road (pothole) has been reported and since that report a given amount of time has lapsed which should be adequate for the council to have repaired the damage. If the damage occours after this time the council are liable for damages incurred to your vechile.

Of course the councils set their own standards for the length of time in which repairs should have been carried out so you havent really got a hope.:rolleyes:

Advertisement