Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To achieve anything substantial we need to raise money

Options
  • 12-02-2004 11:17am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 605 ✭✭✭

I doubt that the ISS will achieve anything substancial or in a reasonable time frame without money.

Do we even have a fund raiser?

I suggest the following:

We create a new membership type/class called “Corporate”. This type of member pays say €200 per year or even €500, perhaps in 4 payments. Individuals who want to or can afford to pay this will do so. The only suggestion is that these corporate people have a separate vote at the AGM to elect a single representative to sit on the committee to basically oversee their “investment”.

As the work of the ISS is to promote to the public rational thinking and Science then we can approach organisations that might support the work of the ISS and there are many that do. Scientific organisations, universities, private companies, rich individuals, scientists, pharmaceutical companies, even the dept. of education, the EU (certainly) etc..

Needless to say all the donors and their donations would be published on the web site. No donation would be accepted from what would be called an unethical source such as Tobacco Companies.

With the money raised we can seriously do work such as creating a decent web site that is full of up to date information, issue press releases, hire full time staff including a press officer, issue booklets, pamphlets, attract more members etc.

The current €35 membership probably only pays the postage.

Naturally enough some of you reading this will be sceptical, but it is possible to raise large sums of money for “good causes”. You would be amazed how many people out there with money will donate to a cause like this and it’s cheaper than paying for Acupuncture or Reflexology sessions and far more satisfying!

Vote yes if you agree and no if you do not.

I support the financial expansion of the ISS 1 vote

Yes - let's raise money and kick ass
    0% 0 votes
    No - I want us to remain a talking shop
    100% 1 vote

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭davros

What's the point of making this a poll if you are going to load the question?

No harm floating the idea though. Hiring staff sounds very expensive but I would like to see a set of leaflets that can be left in doctors' offices and hospital waiting rooms. And press releases most definitely. Beginning immediately.

Now if we could figure out a way to sell tiny bottles of water at €10 a pop...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 605 ✭✭✭williamgrogan

Don't most polls have loaded questions?

:)

Is it loaded?

At €35 per year per member and allocating half the membership fee, we would need approximately 3,000 members before we could hire one person with an office, phone and PC. If we had a corporate membership (or maybe call them Financial Supporter) we would need 100.

To be effective we would need a secretary/researcher, fund raiser & press officer with a science background/degree and a budget for advertising and the the printing of leaflets which could be left in public places.

Would we get 100 people in Ireland to put up €500 each for one year? Ask people would they pay this only IF another 99 pledged to do so and that the money would be used for a designated purpose. Maybe an intermediate membership with a €100 yearly fee would also help.

Maybe the bottle of water idea is a good one. €10 for a bottle with the following label.

Water Cure All

This amazing water cures headache
    (estimated to work in 66% of cases),
    re-hydrates the body, improves blood
    circulation by increasing blood supply,
    aids in digestion etc..

Contents: Tap Water

Manufacturer: ISS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Egalitarian

I am pleased to see some ambition to increase the presence of the ISS. The suggestions of corporate membership seems wise, corporate sponsorship of public meetings may also pay off.

The ISS needs to think carefully about who its target audience is. Leaflets in doctors' surgeries doesn't seem to be the best idea. I think that patients are at their least receptive when personally anxious about ill-health. There is a niche for ISS in the Irish media to respond to health scares. Obesity, passive smoking, biotechnology are all subjects where the media are unable to find skeptical comment. Such activities depend more on the personal commitment of members to seize authority in specific areas of irrationalism. If members are prepared to represent the ISS in these areas, then it is feasible to employ someone for administration. But this individual commitment is key.

Advertisement