Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best pub in ireland!

Options
  • 12-02-2004 11:32am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭

On this we have people from all over ireland . I'm thinking of leaving my boring little town for a night out so tell me where is the best pub in ireland
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭MidnightQueen

Da best pub i definetly no of is Cottrells in Newmarket, Co Cork. u gotta love da place. Its got the best jukebox in Ireland and a real cool DJ 2. Its probably my favourite place in da world!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D :cool: :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭cannonballkid

Hey i was going to go to cork in two weeks time . Thanks kittykat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭Fudger

hmmmmmmmmmmm..................... hard one, so many pubs so little time.

to be honest for the sweet caress of the yellow frothy honey nectare that is beer to pass my drying throat I would drink with satan himself in the pits of hell.............. but i'd never go to Q-BAR (i mean 'The Harp') or 'Fibber Magees' oh the memories, underaged and drunk. where does the time go?

*jasus i need a beer*

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

The absolute coolest for style has to be the Bodega in Cornmarket St, Cork. Just so cool, but nothing special in terms of prices I'm afraid. For cosier pubs head to the Oval on Tuckey Street, or Denneheys across from the Bodega. Or Tom Barry's on Barrack Street, Small pubs with lots of style.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

The Towers in da The Mun, no question

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭rocco

The Penthouse in the Mun beats the towers easy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭cannonballkid

Oh my god i want a drink as someone said al ready in this post So many places so little time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭IronMan

John Patricks in Loughrea, a remarkable pub in a decidely unremarkable town.

1) Jukebox has everything from Dean Martin to Napalm Death, mostly metal/punk/rock though.
    2)The guinness is majorly good.
    3) Its full of old country characters in the daytime, real rough diamonds, very funny,
    4) The toilets dont flush and have no locks or toiletpaper.
    5) The owner is the most vicious thick man in Galway.
    6) Its stays open till 3.30 am most saturday nights.
    7) You can smoke a sneaky j down the back with no problems.

Its a strange, wonderful, smelly, dark, grotty, place. i hate that town, I love that pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

i'm a fan of the porter house on a quiet night. Lovely beers, they have a menu for chris'sake, and the food is decent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭KlodaX

:D Spirit Store Dundalk

... different pubs are good for different occasions .... a night on the town? ... ye want a pub in de city somewhere .... quiet pint and game of chess .. the fore mentioned ...

the best pub for what?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

Its hard to say a best pub. For me it would have to be

A pub where the music volume isnt high. You want to be able to have a conversation without haveing to raise your voice or struggle to hear.

A Pub that has a late bar.

A pub that is quite large.

Neer a Taxi or bus terminus

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭pigeonbutler

Originally posted by User45701

A pub where the music volume isnt high. You want to be able to have a conversation without haveing to raise your voice or struggle to hear.

A Pub that has a late bar.

A pub that is quite large.

Coming from the midlands (Athlone) I wouldn't know what big city pubs are like but in my experience a pub with those criteria will be nigh on impossible to find. Unless it's a rural pub with an "unofficial" late bar, but in that case your transport requirement would be a problem. Because big late bars I've ever been in are so loud you can't hear yourself and so packed you can't find a seat.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

weir's in dun laoighaire.....

only because emma the best looking lounge girl ever works there

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Without a doubt, Ashe's in Dingle - it's a long trip down from Dublin but well worth it.

Florrie Bat's and The Square Pint are both worth a look if you're ever in Kenmare.

In Dublin it's gotta be Mulligans, although it's been spoiled a bit after appearing in Bachelor's Walk - full of tourists wanting a gawk. Close behind are Kehoe's in South Anne Street, McDaid's and Bruxelles (upstairs only) in Harry Street and the Dawson Lounge (the original Ron Black's, not the poseur's bar a couple of doors down).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Seáns Bar in Athlone.
    The oldest bar in Ireland, and damned good beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

i like the white horse, i prefare pubs where a conversation can take place, i also like my local which is kavanaghs in stoney batter upstairs when its open

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭BeatFreak

The Stag's Head on dame lane in Dublin. Downstairs on a saturday night, with your mates and a pint of guinness. It may be falling down (literally) but it's got more than enough atmosphere to make up for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I like Teach Dolmain in Carlow. Its generally not too loud to talk over and the pints are good.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

Cullens (Corkies) in Sligo.
    The Cottage in Letterkenny.

Great Guinness in Both!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 573 ✭✭✭The jock

You should go to O ' Neills Pub in a small village called BALLYNEALE near Carrick-on -suir.Co.tipp.
    Its one of the cheapest pubs in ireland and its my local.

T.L sucks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Skorzeny

Connollys of Leap in West Cork is great. Good pints, chilled out and live music all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Originally posted by zaph
    Without a doubt, Ashe's in Dingle - it's a long trip down from Dublin but well worth it.

Think I've been to that place... Very nice from what I remember.

John

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭Blondie81

In Cork - Costigans, Bodega, Le Cheile, Nancy Spains....

Dublin - I like Keoghs. Seeing as I'm living up here now I better start learning names of pubs I'm being taken to. I was at a really nice one at the back of Powerscourt Shopping Centre Tuesday night. Don't know the name but that was really nice. I like Sin too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

I'm nota naming my favourite pub in Dublin cos then all you wánkers will be flocking to it! :D

I'm serious though. Not naming it for fear it'll be spoiled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Originally posted by IronMan
    John Patricks in Loughrea, a remarkable pub.

6) Its stays open till 3.30 am most saturday nights.

Its a strange, wonderful, smelly, dark, grotty, place. i hate that town, I love that pub.

Nothing remarkable about the closing time. The best pub in Loughrea is Morrisseys with clean new scented bogs , lovely porter and nice people all around.

In fact you could not but like the town if you drank there at all :D .

M

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

McConnon's in Shercock, Co. Cavan. But then again there's so many great pubs in the town you wouldn't know where to begin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭bender

for it must be traffic in abbey st... 'cos i live so close to it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭Blondie81

Originally posted by bender
    for it must be traffic in abbey st... 'cos i live so close to it...

My friend is DJing there on March 27th so I'll have to check it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭bender

should say ... got some good DJ's in traffic...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Originally posted by zaph
    Bruxelles (upstairs only) in Harry Street

Downstairs and to the left, all you need to know... :D

Advertisement