Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Networking Multiple PC's To ISDN

Options
  • 12-02-2004 11:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭

lo all,

Not quite sure if this fits here, but we'll give it a go anyway and see of anyone can help me...

I been asked to install and configure Internet access for a number of windows PC's, (8 or so), in a building (around 8 or so), it's over a few floors. This is not a paying job, just a helpy thing for some helpless 'normals'.

On the ground floor they have an Eircom ISDN installation and they've had a contractor come in a wire up some CAT5 in a loop from this box to all the floors, then back presumably back to the ISDN 'box'.

Ideally, they would like to be able to share a connection between all of the PC's, actually dialling up would be done in the morning by one, I assume. I just need to know how and what I need to make net access over this ISDN CAT5 cable go.

They're not really sure of what they need, so I'll probably recommend they get in DSL, (ISDN isn't gonna go far with 8 PC's connected to it! Possibly 3 times this much if they wire another roomful of PC's upto it!), but it seems likely for the time being that they will stick with what they have.

So, if you have any comments or pointers for me, please, by all means. get posting and help me out!

Luc

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭fatherdougalmag

Not sure about the function of the CAT5 cable but and what immediately springs to mind is an ISDN router of some sort. Should have an integrated hub but probably not with 8 ports. Alternatively set up a headless PC in the corner to do the work via Internet Connection Sharing. First step would be to network all the PC's together. For hassle free, I'd go with wireless adapters for all machines with an access point wired into the back of the ISDN router (unless you can source a combined ISDN router/access point product).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Lucutus

Yea, I thought of the router approach, sold one off 6 months ago *rollseyes*

The thing that's weirding me out a bit is the CAT5 running all over the place in a loop from the ISDN box, I'm not sure what approach they were thinking of when they did that. The contracter that did it simply stated "we only do cabling, nothing else", weird job too, no trunking, just loose cat 5 tacked to the walls and then looped through socket boxes per point.

Luc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Is there anything connected to the loop? ISDN phones, analogue phones, anything? Or, indeed, connected to the box?

If the loop isn't used yet, I'd stick a cheap hub on each floor and stick a smoothwall/ipcop old pc down beside the ISDN box..breaking the loop, that is.... so that Floor 3's hub is uplinking to Floor 2's hub, and Floor2 up to Floor1, etc.. Or, if it really is a loop, Floor 3 could go back down to the ISDN box instead of Floor 2.

Current...
     /--------ISDN----------\
     \Floor1--Floor2--Floor3/

Proposed...
    ISDN--Firewall/PC--HUB--Floor1Hub--Floor2Hub
                          |
                          \-Floor3Hub

That's assuming nothing else is using that loop you're talking about, and that the ISDN box is just the plain jane standard eircom "Plug and Play" beige ISDN CPE.

You could splash out on 100Mb switches for intranet use if that allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭ando

is the cable one continuous loop, no points?

I didn't trace the cable all the way around myself, but they assured me it runs to the three floors.

Ando: It's got access sockets for RJ45 network connectors.

cgarvey: I think the only thing connected to the loop at the moment is a single PC (The MD's, doncha know!) that has access to to net.

They're one of these government funded places with 'not as much funding as you'd think', so I need to find the cheap solution. Splashing out on stuff isn't really an option.

If all is as it seems, and I have a loop of cat5 around the place, I have to split it and daisychain some hubs up, one on each floor? Then place in a router or PC to act as a router, or use Internet Connection Sharing on one of the Windows boxes?
    Eircom ISDN P&P box
       |
       |
    Two access points on Floor1  (only one connected to PC, with net access)
       |
       |
    Two access points on Floor2
       |
       |
    One access point on Floor3
       |
        \
         Back to  ISDN P&P Box

• Advertisement

Maybe this is just a glorified extension lead so that all PC's can have ISDN access? In any case, you'll have to get hands on and investigate before we could comment further.

Originally posted by Lucutus
    cgarvey: I think the only thing connected to the loop at the moment is a single PC (The MD's, doncha know!) that has access to to net.

If all is as it seems, and I have a loop of cat5 around the place, I have to split it and daisychain some hubs up, one on each floor? Then place in a router or PC to act as a router, or use Internet Connection Sharing on one of the Windows boxes?

Yup, that's my line of thinking alright .. I presume the MD has a ISDN modem in his PC (as in the RJ45 loop is a digital ISDN line, not an ethernet loop), in which case you can reuse that in an old PC down beside the box (or wherever is going to be central.. beside the box means no new wiring).

The only issue with that is that the ISDN modem may be a windows only jobby, in which case you could install windows on the old PC and share it from there.

Then split the loop and do your cheapo hub thing. Costings.. €100 for old PC, 3x€25 for 3 hubs.

.cg

Right,

So the mystery of the CAT5 is solved, their 'cable guy' ("Hello Stephen...") misunderstood or is simply insane.

Yea, I'll get hands-on with this some saturday soon and sort them out with something workable. Just the loop of cabling threw me entirely...

Thanks for all your replies, you people are the best evar *wipes tear away*

Luc

group hug!

It's great being a priest.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Probably would be a lot easier and cheaper to ditch the ISDN, get broadband, hook that up to an ethernet or wireless router and hook this up an ethernet hub. otherwise sharing the ISDN will be a real pain. If you are doing it in an old building the wireless might not work through the older thicker walls. A hardware boardband router would have a firewall in it which is essential these days.

But if you scrimp on it now you can be sure the'll ask you to expand on it fairly soon after you install it and then it will be come a real pain in the ass.

Advertisement