Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts

Options
  • 12-02-2004 12:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭

Just picked this up for the GBA and I know it is a remake of the SNES/Arcade versions. I haven't played the originals but my god, it is one tough mother of a game. I spent about two hours last night getting to the end of the first level :eek:

Is it me or is it a bloody hard game. I.will. not. give. up. though.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Originally posted by tallpaul
    Just picked this up for the GBA and I know it is a remake of the SNES/Arcade versions. I haven't played the originals but my god, it is one tough mother of a game. I spent about two hours last night getting to the end of the first level :eek:

Is it me or is it a bloody hard game. I.will. not. give. up. though.

That game did my head in, as you said some parts were ridiculously hard:dunno:
    I I preferred Ghosts 'n Goblins, probably cause I could get much further in it :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,388 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

What a classic game. It's quite possibly one of the hardest games ever. Level 2 of super ghouls n ghosts is by far the hardest level. However the rest of the levels are no push over. However the game is beatable. I've beaten both using only one credit (a feat that I haven't been able to repeat). All it takes is a lot of practise.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Lex_Diamonds

Just thinking back on this, i must have been some insane game playing bastard as a kid or something because i remember clearing the game in a day, once that is. Got too pissed off to play it a second time through.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

Hard as f*** game. They really don't make games as difficult as this anymore.

Must dig out my SNES and see if I can make any progress...

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭BluE-WinG

Is this defo different to Ghosts n Goblins?
    Is it the sequel or what?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,519 ✭✭✭patch

Originally posted by BluE-WinG
    Is this defo different to Ghosts n Goblins?
    Is it the sequel or what?

Yup, it's the sequel.
    The megadrive version is a bit different again, and even harder if memory serves me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Originally posted by patch
    Yup, it's the sequel.
    The megadrive version is a bit different again, and even harder if memory serves me.

Tut tut, all this talk about the Megadrive and SNES versions, back in my days we played both versions on the good oul C64 :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

They are three separate games.

Ghosts N' Goblins was arcade only. It's the hardest one of the lot but lacks polish. The collision detection isn't the fairest.

Ghouls N' Ghosts was arcade originally and was ported to Mega Drive with the help of a young Yuji Naka. It's my favourite version.

Super Ghouls N' Ghosts was the third game and only appeared on the SNES.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,388 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Ghost n goblins was actually ported to many of the 8-bit computers. I've only played the C64 version but I'm sure there were others.

The Megadrive conversion of GnG was one of the best arcade conversions ever. Theres hardly any difference between the two except for some sprite flickering in the MD version.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Doodah7

I dunno, it still bloody hard if not downright unfair at times. But it still has that one more go factor reminiscent of classic 80's games.

Anyway I see that play.com are selling it for a tenner sterling if anyone wants to drive themselves mad. Good value for a game that will definitely last you some time.It is the best selling GBA game at present on the site.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Got it there on emulator, and finished it in about 3 hours. But damn that game would be SERIOUSLY hard without quick save/load. Insanely hard game, its right up there with Battletoads for challenge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Originally posted by Pugsley
    Got it there on emulator, and finished it in about 3 hours. But damn that game would be SERIOUSLY hard without quick save/load. Insanely hard game, its right up there with Battletoads for challenge.
    aye, i'd tried playing it on an emu recently.
    barely made it to the end of the first level with autosaves:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Tellox

I can recall playing the MD version constantly when I was 7 or so, and eventually clearing it. Then it sent me back to the first level, and the difficulty was up higher.

I said "fuck this"* and turned it off.

* = As I was 7,I most likely used a more tame expression

The sending back to the start of the game in both super gng and gng was a right pain. Also you had to get a new weapon and keep it until the last boss. It was really annoying if you picked up another crap weapon in the last level.

Anyone using quicksaves should be ashamed of themselves. Half the fun of the game was to see how many swear words you could utter during a session and cut down on that amount for the next one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

I had this game on the Atari ST, i can only remember getting to some stage where the floor was moving upwards..i think it was about the third stage, but it took me f*ckin months to get there, its remembered as a classic, and rightly so, but for the love of god, when youve used up all your credits on the first level for the millionth time, dont you just wanna grab the games creator and scream "WHAT THE HELL WERE YOU THINKING!? AHHHH!!" And then i woke up and there was just blood everywhere and people were screaming...i went to the bad place again..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭DiscoStu

that was a truely evil game.

i never made it past the second level back in the day.

Was just playing ghosts n goblins yesterday and despite using Microsofts annual profits in credits I just couldn't get past the third level boss. Damn the two of them and their evil unpredictable jumps of doom.

Advertisement