Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cavan Combat Map Rotation

Options
  • 12-02-2004 12:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭

lo all

There's been some debate over the maps on the server @ games2.iol.ie so this thread if for suggestions for maps. We've dropped in No Fly Zone for a change/break from the usual map rotation.

dc_lostvillage,
    dc_urban_siege,
    el_alamein,
    dc_basrah_nights,
    dc_basrahs_edge,
    dc_no_fly_zone,

If you wanna see a map in the rotation, post it here and we'll lash it in, (if it's any good!). If you wanna get rid of one, same deal.

Is there any custom maps out there that have excellent, well balanced vehicular play? What about some of the other DC maps? any good ones?

feedback appreciated.

Luc

P.S. Rev says he's keeping El Al and No Fly :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

I'd say add Berlin. It is a great infentry map and is very even and balanced.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

Will you space out dc_basrah_nights,dc_basrahs_edge,so it's not one after the other.did you not get the cd yet winters ?

CombatCow

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Lucutus

I kinda like the two together, it's not like they're the same map or anything. Maybe we'll switch them around, and do edge first, then nights.

Luc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

we could put another el_alamein in between them :)

Originally posted by Combatcow
    did you not get the cd yet winters ?
    Yea, got it earlier this week. Thanks man I owe you.

I'd agree with putting Basrah's Edge before night. Makes more sence.

• Advertisement

Ok, updated rotation.

dc_lostvillage,
    dc_urban_siege,
    el_alamein,
    berlin,
    dc_basrahs_edge,
    dc_basrah_nights,
    dc_no_fly_zone

Stopped and started the server...

Luc

Originally posted by Rev Hellfire
    we could put another el_alamein in between them :)

You just want el_alamein forever, don't you?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

hmm i don't like the big vehicle maps like el-alamein but prefare the more infantry type ones. glad berlin is in it. what about stalingrad?

not familiar with the all the map whats the one with the oil rig and the one where you come in off the boats and take the docks with the ship and the crane and containers and stuff?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

El al is great......People that dont like that map cant A.Drive and fire with a tank B.Fly a helo or plane

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭suppafly

i love the berlin map. its good too for when theres only a small few people on the server cuz the map is a nice size too. very fun map :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

You need some of the big maps in there, desertshield, el al, gazala etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭Joeface

kinda of a related question, can the maps form road to rome be added, ie . Monte Cassino(great infentry map)..........dont think the can but a question worth asking

They certainly can, but, and theres always a but. What of the people who dont have that expansion pack ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭Joeface

Rev did u get kicked by WeeEEee for team killing

Compare
    Originally posted by Dataisgod
    hmm i don't like the big vehicle maps like el-alamein but prefare the more infantry type ones. glad berlin is in it. what about stalingrad?

With
    Originally posted by Moriarty

You need some of the big maps in there, desertshield, el al, gazala etc.

and you get?

Can't please all of the people all of the time.

At the moment, Berlin and El_al are in the rotation, giving a taste of each 'world', if there is only a few players on, they can chat it out, agree on a map to play and then vote it in.

It has a load of DC_ maps, as it's a DC server, I think it's all good. (Gotta love all those lost village and basrah/urban siege ones).

Luc

Removed No Fly Zone

I'm having problems logging in with the Remote Server Manager actually. An error saying that my username does "not have the correct associated data being resolved for".. quite odd.

No flay zone is still there, but had a good game of it tonight. Sometimes its not too bad a map I am afraid to say. But thats rare, very rare.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭The_Bullman

any chance of DC_Medina_Ridge? I played it at galwaylan and liked it

Worth a go, I'll lash it in now...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭Washout

I love the fact that a few weeks ago the server was about to die now we could almost do with another one :)

• Advertisement

Two things about the server. Turn off auto-team-switcing, it's most annoying. Turn off team number enforcement or whatever it is, it stops you switching sides if youve had enough of one. Combined (well, along with the less than ideal map rotation) they're enough to make me stop playing on the server.

Originally posted by Moriarty
    Turn off auto-team-switcing, it's most annoying. Turn off team number enforcement or whatever it is, it stops you switching sides if youve had enough of one. Combined (well, along with the less than ideal map rotation) they're enough to make me stop playing on the server.

How will we keep balanced teams? I agree the auto-balancing feature is a pain, I'm used to auto-balance working for the lower scoring players in a game, but in DC it seems to balance players based on score or something.

Anyway, 18 coalition versus 8 opposition is never fun like. People are always slow to cop on/care about unbalanced sides.

As for the map rotation, you realyl gotta give up more than that. What's wrong with it, which maps don't you like, why? How about suggesting a map rotation?

Contribute.

Luc

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭BeatFreak

I have to agree with Moriarty here, auto balance is very annoying. Especially when you kill a member of the opposition, they auto-balance to your team and you die because you damaged a team mate because (I forget the name of the setting, the one where you get damaged for damaging team mates?) is on. I'm not sure if I explained that clearly enough but it seems to be a bug that causes me alot of heart ache.

How to keep the game balanced? Kick, if a player wont balance a team then he's obviously a muppet (generalisation I know but not far off the mark imo) and no-one likes playing with muppets. This will also give people waiting for a slot on the server (i.e me) a chance to play. AND on certain levels (lost village for example) having more members on a particular side (depending on the strength of the team) can lead to a better and more competitive game over all.

I love all the DC levels so the map rotation suits me but! The only thing I would like to see is a little more variation, we seem to be playing the same few levels all the time. The likes of kursk is never played, okay it's not a great level but would be nice to play it again all the same.

That's what I think anyways....

Originally posted by Beat Freak
    I have to agree with Moriarty here, auto balance is very annoying. Especially when you kill a member of the opposition, they auto-balance to your team and you die because you damaged a team mate because (I forget the name of the setting, the one where you get damaged for damaging team mates?) is on. I'm not sure if I explained that clearly enough but it seems to be a bug that causes me alot of heart ache.

Auto-Balance works. It could use being tweaked a bit, but it auto-balances.

Admins would have to be on the server in order to kick players who are being tards. In order to kick them we gotta alt-tab out (a pain on my machine, BF hogs half a gig of ram), login, kick, logout, then alt-tab back. This could happen 20 times per round, with slots opening and the clueless joining and breing at it again. Perhaps I could add to announcments about team balancing, but will it really make a difference? Let's talk about this later on IRC.

The bug you describe is annoying alright, but the setting, 'Friendly Fire Kickback', definately deters the tk'ers. With no auto-balance the bug shouldn't be a problem. This stays, I like it. :) (It killed you last night when you tked me!).

For the map rotation id suggest (in this order, to give a good variation from map to map)..
    • Bocage
    • DC Al Khafji Docks
    • DC Basrah Nights
    • DC Battle of 73 Easting
    • DC Desertshield
    • DC Basrahs Edge
    • El Alamein
    • DC Lostvillage
    • DC Oil Fields
    • DC Sea Rigs
    • Gazala
    • DC Urban Siege
    • DC Weapon Bunkers

Afaik there is a way to have team balance enabled, but not so strict. That way, it will stop people joining the other team if theres a difference of more than 3/4/5/whatever, rather than the strict equal sizes thats currently enforced.

If you have team balance enabled, there is little need for auto-switching as new players will be constantly joining the server which organically balances out the teams.

The server is actually set to refect back more damage to you when u hit a friendly than is received, it makes tk'ing a long boring process. FF servers without it become nuts, the only other alternative is to actually remove ff altogether, which to be honest isnt something thats going to happen.

As for the map cycle suggestions are always welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭BeatFreak

I tk'd you last night? Surely you joust ! I've no problem kicking people I've got the server manager open on my second machine so kicking is a positive pleasure :) I like the idea of team balancing but I just don't think its refined enough to use on the server atm, hopefully Trauma/EA will sort it out in an upcoming update.
    Friendly fire kickback is indeed a useful feature but combined with the dodgy auto-balance leads to allot of annoyance. In work, can't really get into it, so IRC it is then.
    [spam] Thats #battlefield.ie for those who don't know [/spam]

Talk to ye later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Instant Karma

I hate the auto balance and the ff kickback too..can it not be set up to auto kick a player with minus scores....i know accidental tk's happen but you have to be a pretty poor player to stay in a minus score for very long.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭Washout

what are co-op maps like?

it would be interesting 26 players on the same side playing against bots?

not suggesting it for now just wondering if ppl had played co-op online?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Originally posted by Washout
    what are co-op maps like?

it would be interesting 26 players on the same side playing against bots?

not suggesting it for now just wondering if ppl had played co-op online?

Its too easy, as bots are, well, idiots.
    But they don't complain about spawn camping which is a plus :)

Advertisement