Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cavan Combat Map Rotation

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

First of all, is the map rotation going to be changed?

Secondly, imo the admins are far too quick to change the map. Twice this evening the map has been manually changed by an admin after a number of votes were turned down for changing it. Most were having a good time on the maps and a small number werent, but apparently that was enough to warrent the admin changing it. Tbh its just not on.. admins changing maps willynilly is a surefire way to an empty server.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Capture the Flag is useless without an actual time limit. Takes hours for round to end. I think no fly zone was on for well over an hour today before I joined. For some reason the CTF maps just keep on going and going and going .....

I must say its also getting harder to join too. It seems as though the server is full now all day long. Thats a good thing usually but it seems as though not too many of them are interested in the whole "teampaly" aspect of the game. Realy pity, its the teamplay that will usually make a decent game. I also have my eyes on a couple of players who are quite fond of the über base camping. I dont like spawning with two T-72's waiting ontop of repair stations killing evey US soilder that spawns...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

can the server only handle 26 players? would it be possible to increase the number to 32 even?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

The server could easily handly 32 players, but since a lot of people here are on isdn or lower its to much data to throw at them. I've had requests to actually lower it back to 22.

ok and has the map rotation been changed again? wake island popped up last night

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭Washout

Originally posted by Winters
    Capture the Flag is useless without an actual time limit. Takes hours for round to end. I think no fly zone was on for well over an hour today before I joined. For some reason the CTF maps just keep on going and going and going .....

Yeah I hear ya thats why i originally suggested a time limit but at the moment its set to score limit of 6 so it will end at some stage...if its too long then maybe score casn be reduced to 4 or 3?
    I must say its also getting harder to join too. It seems as though the server is full now all day long. Thats a good thing usually but it seems as though not too many of them are interested in the whole "teampaly" aspect of the game. Realy pity, its the teamplay that will usually make a decent game. I also have my eyes on a couple of players who are quite fond of the über base camping. I dont like spawning with two T-72's waiting ontop of repair stations killing evey US soilder that spawns...

I kicked off a couple of players doing that very said thing yesterday. nothing pisses me off more than spawn campers like this.

Originally posted by Rev Hellfire
    The server could easily handly 32 players, but since a lot of people here are on isdn or lower its to much data to throw at them. I've had requests to actually lower it back to 22.
    I play on single channel isdn and have no problems what-so-ever in playing on 32 player servers. Theres no effect on performance. I've even checked bandwidth useage when playing on 32/40 player servers and the line isn't saturated. People on modems are another story of course, but I don't see many modem players any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Originally posted by Moriarty
    but I don't see many modem players any more.

Eh, em.

Moriarty is right though, I rarely see difference in 26/32 player servers, even on my 56k.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭TheHairyFairy

We could have a Private Night where it would be password protected. I dont get on to play until kids are in bed an house is quiet, normally after 9:30 and by that time it's hard to find a space on the Cavan server.

Is the idea of a clan still ongoing and if so are we considering a private clan server as well?

The Fairy.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭MR DAZ

I'd be interested in joing a clan......for the craic!!!!!!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Lucutus

I've updated the server map rotation, taking into account all of your preferences etc.

Some people will be happy to see bocage and 73 easting are back. Thought about gazala, still not sure tho. Basrah nights is back, dunno what happened to it before.

All Desert Combat, Conquest:

dc_lostvillage
    dc_basrahs_edge
    dc_basrah_nights
    dc_oil_fields
    dc_urban_siege
    el_alamein
    berlin
    wake
    dc_medina_ridge
    dc_desertshield
    dc_no_fly_zone
    guadalcanal
    dc_battle_of_73_easting
    bocage

CTF is gone, I'll do a CTF config and enable it on a Sunday afternoon until the Monday afternoon.

Server was already set at one round per level when I did this, so leaving it like that.

The other major change was to be disabling auto-balance, gonna try that soon, maybe tomorrow.

Have Fun,

Luc

It should really be 2 rounds per map imo. 1 can often seem too short.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

very good Luc

but i agree with morty 2 rounds of conquest would be far better

~I would like to see 2 rounds also

glad the the maps have changed, looks good also glad bocage has been added i think its a fun map quite hectic

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Lucutus

Removed Medina Ridge, It's broken :(

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,665 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Originally posted by Lucutus

Thank God for that.Jesus that map is so crap.
    On another note though---Any chance of passwording cavancombat some night for a few hours.
    Seems impossible some nights to get a game.Last night was I waiting for an hour before a slot became free.
    As Hairyfairy says I dont get a chance to play either until the kids are asleep and then its usually full.
    Any room in that new clan?????
    Richie

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭BeatFreak

/me counts the hours till I gets me BB back...

much killing, yes, I'll pretend you guys are the customer support at NTL... Be scared be very scared...

oh and /me weeps at the state of the bot AI in Battlefield...

That is all, carry on.

Originally posted by Lucutus

I rather like Medina Ridge but your right if its broken get it outta here

Think we'll have a look at setting up a second server.
    I'll need to see what I can move off games2 and where I can put it.

• Advertisement

Rev as you mentioned a 2nd server could it be a CTF server, please.

Hellrazer good to see another oldie playing. I mentioned my age the other day in a game and I could nearly hear the gasps.

I feel I bring maturity to the proceeds.

I think BFV is out in about 10 days time. Will there be a server straight away or should everyone get to know the game first.

The Fairy.

what age are you hairy

33 according to his profile.

/me gasps

How's the zimmer frame holding up? Pensioned off later this year i suppose?

/me gasps

How's the zimmer frame holding up? Pensioned off later this year i suppose?

Mental note .....look at profile before asking what age a person is.

33! my god man :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Originally posted by Rev Hellfire
    Think we'll have a look at setting up a second server.

Possibly one Battlefield: Vietnam and the other Battlefield 1942/Desert Combat?

That would work out best for those of us who's mouths are becoming filled with water as we see screenshot after screenshot of Battlefield Vietnam and get that bit more excited as each second counts down to its release :)

surprised he can even aim a sniper rifle straight at that age, he must at least have serious shakes :eek:

Oh. That hurt.

That is way below the belt. Though considering my age and the general age of those playing I should be a 4 star general by now.

I think plenty have been sniped by me, so the shake must be helpong. LOL.

BTW I lmao when I read that.

The Fairy.

yep, one of each. Just need to figure out where to put the nwn server.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭Joeface

CLAN ME

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

33? That ain't old. By old, I was thinking 40's. That's old. The late 20's, early 30's age bracket are the "original" gamers, who've been playing since before Wolf3D came out. Nice to see your still young at heart :)

Advertisement