Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pc Slowed down

• 12-02-2004 2:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

I was just wondering if anybody could suggest how to speed up my laptop...I downloaded the "spybot" program and ran that but it didnt make any difference..I also downloaded this program to remove the amount of programs in the start-up tray, but this hasnt made any difference either.Is there anything else i can do??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭Big Chief

whats the specs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Mickey B

its a dell inspiron.. 30GB hard drive..256mb ... and uses windows xp..im not sur wat processor..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 119 ✭✭theshadow

I came across a similar problem on a Windows 2000 Pro PC where the CPU usage was up at 90-100 all the time, which was caused by a svchost.exe process. Found no virus, spyware, adware etc.. Ended up reintalling OS, which fixed it.

Could tell me how to do this..because ive never had to do it b4...

Is there anyother programs i could download and try...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,985 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Yeah ive downloaded and tryed each of them programs..but it didnt make a difference..the real problem is when the pc is starting up..it takes an age to load up to the main windows for sum reason..anything else i can do..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

Defrag the HDD 2 or 3 times,sometimes helps.

CombatCow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 119 ✭✭theshadow

Also try getting the latest updates from microsoft, especially the critical one.

http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/en/default.asp

more ram..

faster processor..

• Advertisement

Yeah i jus seen dis on net..people having the same problem as me...

Site

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭aaf

You could also disable applications that are resident in the system tray such as RealOne player and Quicktime. You can disable them from inside their respective application windows e.g. disable Quicktime player by going to Edit-Preferences-Quicktime Preferences and making sure the 'Quicktime system tray icon' option is unticked. You should also check your Startup programs from the Start-Programs menu and delete/disable anything you don't want starting up everytime windows loads. Hope this helps

Thanks but ive tried that aswell...i disabled most things and still the same problem..it takes like 40 to 50 seconds for the windows to load up..and its only happened in the last wk..der is still lots of room on the hard drive aswell..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭moridin

Select Start - All Programs - Accessories - System Tools - System Restore

Restore your computer to a date before it was happening :)

If it happens again, well then there's prob something majorly wrong with an application or your install of XP.

k ill try dis...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Format, Get rid of Useless programs, run msconfig and select what programs you want to run at startup

do a repair of xp install is another idea -

set 1st boot device to cd rom in bios

insert disc and restart computer

go into setup

once in winxp setup you will see an option to "to repair this installion press R"

just do that and see if it clears it up

i would imagine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,813 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

don't buy a dell next time ;)

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

thats true.... DONT BUY DELL!

buy fujitzu siemans ....

i have NEVER had a problem with them in my life, this is my 3rd pc i've bought off them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭L5

Bet u have norton antivirus installed. I had same problem on my desktop, programs taking an AGE to load up on startup, uninstalled norton, now its flying. Norton is a pile of crap, it really really slows a system down.

• Advertisement

Yeah it is installed on it...and ive noticed that wen im shutting down the computer there is an error coming up about Norton..... so ill try dat..

Advertisement