Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Residential Areas in Dublin

• 12-02-2004 2:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭

I know there are a number of resources for Dublin accomodation on the internet, but there is hardly anything about the locality of the place, residential areas, etc..

For someone unfamiliar with Dublin - anyone know any online resources or have any information on which are the good places to live for temporary accomodation (6-12 months).

Ill be working in the IFSC (Which I only know through a map and their website) However I know of nothing of the surrounding areas where Id like to rent an apartment. It's like Id search for a place on daft.ie or something, get listings of apartments on all these various streets nearby, yet not know which is ideal / what kind of place it is.

Also does Dublin have privately owned apartment buildings like in mainland Europe? As I havent been able to find any information on them.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,451 ✭✭✭✭Victor

The IFSC has quite a varierty of modern apartments, both owner occupied and rented. The area is not unlike the docklands in London as it is a former docks area that has been redeveloped with modern offices, apartments and some shop, bars, etc.

The immediately surrounding areas of the north east inner city (East Wall, Ballybough, North Strand, Fairview) is typical of any older inner city area with a mixture of council housing (none available to rent) and older privately owned houses, some rented, some owner occupied. Individual pockets aren't great with some undesirable characters (but you can get that anywhere), but the area is generally improving.

The DART (www.dart.ie) connection to Connolly Station means that living along the line is an option, you could even live further out on suburban lines, but the commute could be arduous. Luas tram (www.luas.ie) line A/C will terminate at Connolly from this summer.

Most busses (www.dublinbus.ie) for the north east sururbs (20, 27, 29, 31, 32, 41, 42, 43, 130) terminate in the vicinity of Connolly abd Bus Áras (provincial bus station, 747 /748 direct connection to airport).

The area is quite close to the city centre with quite a variety of shopping and entertainment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Originally posted by Synkronite
    I know of nothing of the surrounding areas where Id like to rent an apartment. It's like Id search for a place on daft.ie or something, get listings of apartments on all these various streets nearby, yet not know which is ideal / what kind of place it is.

The surrounding areas include North Wall, Sheriff St , East Wall, Buckingham St , Gardiner St.

These are among the most scummy and dangerous areas in the whole country. Be careful of any address with a D1 or D3 postcode.

M

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭Blue Duck

Ah yea but d3 is also clontarf, and quite exclusive!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭Synkronite

Thanks for the replies

Was hoping for a place in D4 .. and then hear all the bad news about the Dart cancelling on weekends... I was going to bring my car up - but traffic is a killer I hear..

What areas in D4 would you suggest? That are preferrably on commuter lines to the city centre (or IFSC)

Thanks again :)

Hope Dublin is fun

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Not sure about D4, but you could consider getting an apartment in Mountjoy Square (D1). I't not a bad place to live, and is withing walking distance on the IFSC to boot. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,451 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Was hoping for a place in D4 .. and then hear all the bad news about the Dart cancelling on weekends... I was going to bring my car up - but traffic is a killer I hear..
    DART cancellations aren't a real issue for D4 as you have the DART running weekedays and a good bus service other days (double schedules for cancellation weekends). Bringing a car means needing somewhere to park during the day and night.
    What areas in D4 would you suggest? That are preferrably on commuter lines to the city centre (or IFSC)
    Anywhere in Ballsbridge, Sandymount and Merrion Road / Merrion Village will be close enough to the DART (to Connolly) and the main bus routes, but are expensive. Irishtown and Ringsend aren't as "good" areas as the others, with less transport, but should be cheaper - Fishermans Wharf is a large apartment development within walking distance of the IFSC across the East Link Bridge (toll for vehicles). Donnybrook has very good bus services to O'Connell Street (5 misn to edge of IFSC) and the airport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Kenilworth is a nice place to live - this is the area centred on the old Classic cinema (which used to be called the Kenilworth).

Artsy, lots of journalists, writers, painters, actors.

Houses from the 1880s up to the 1950s, it's the kind of place that people mow their lawns on Sunday afternoons and swap plants across walls.

It's a nice place for a house-share; there are flats in some of the old houses, but house-share is better value.

Lots of buses into town: 83, 16, 16A, 49, 54, 19A all nearby; if you want to go to Sandymount the 18 passes through; if you want to go to Blackrock, the 17 is in Terenure, a 10-minute walk up the road. If you want to get out to the mountains, trot down the road to Rathgar, about five minutes' walk, and you can get the 65A to Blessington. If you need to get to Bluebell, Crumlin or Citywest, there's a bus from Kimmage, five minutes' walk the other way.

If you're driving, it's reasonably near to the M50, though you have to brave the Mad Cow to get there.

It takes 10-15 minutes to get to town on the bus from Kenilworth when the traffic is light.

Plenty of nice schools around; there's a Gaelscoil and a national school in Clareville Road, there's Rathgar National School in Rathgar Avenue, and it's near enough for the multi-denim in Ranelagh, St Louis and Gonzaga.

There's a good Superquinn in sundrive Road, a great butcher in Rathgar, plus the Gourmet Shop for treats, and Terenure is near enough for shopping, with its organic butchers. Rathmines is a short bus ride away and has all the shops your heart could dream of.

If you're buying, prices are a lot cheaper than Rathgar and Terenure, and the area's on the way up.

It's very green, with all the suburban gardens - lots of birdsong and plenty of flowers. Nice place to live.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Yeah, as others have said, if you want to go southside, your best bet is to get somewhere on the 46, 11 or 15 bus routes. That covers pretty much most of the areas mentioned already (Donnybrook, Ranelagh, Rathmines, Rathgar), and they would probably be the best serviced by public transport.

You might consider somewhere out near UCD. Places tend to be ever so slightly cheaper around the area because of the amount of students renting, and the bus service is great.

I know nothing about the northside :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭Synkronite

Thanks everyone for their replies

I know I would have probably made wrong decisions had I not posted here.

Thanks again :)

Advertisement