Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Problem when turning left?

Options
  • 12-02-2004 3:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭

weird problem... In the van, when I turn left I can hear what sounds like the brake disks rubbing up against other metal bits. Sounds like revolving metal scraping off other fixed metal. Only happens when I am turning left ??? any taughts

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭red_ice

are the wheels on tight? stupid as it sounds - on home&Leasure i saw this girl who took in a fiesta that had the front right wheel loose and it made a grinding sound when she turned.

The lads in the garage had a right laugh, fixed it free of charge :)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I've no idea how car brakes are attached or fit together, but it sounds like something may be loose, or may be buckling under the centrifugal pressure (Ooh, fancy words) when you turn left. Is it more or less noticeable at different speeds, or does it never change?

It's not the same, but an old bicycle of mine had front suspension with magnesium legs, so thin such that when I turned a corner or sprinted, the legs flexed enough to allow one side of the rim to come in full contact with the brake block. I suspect something similar may be happening here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

well I got new brakes there just before christmas, and new tyres around 3 weeks ago. Thats the last time the wheels have been off, and the nuts were put back on with a gun thingy-me-bob...

I took off one of the nuts on the right front wheel last saturday just to look at what kind of nut it was, but its been put back on (i cant see how that could cause the noise). I only first noticed the noise this morning

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

If its only when you are turning left it is most likely your CV Joint.

You will need it replaced and rubber seal boot also. Cost 200-250 bucks more depending on presence of abs.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but hey.

Chief.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Its either a CV joint or its the brakes pads having worn to near the backing plate - you get a metal on metal sound. Does the wheel spin freely - maybe its the start of failing bearing. (whoops thats 3 things)

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,372 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Originally posted by Chief---
    If its only when you are turning left it is most likely your CV Joint.

You will need it replaced and rubber seal boot also. Cost 200-250 bucks more depending on presence of abs.

Reckon it might be the CV joint as well. A main dealer would probably quote you more than that. Also the one on the right might be on the way out too :(

Shop around...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭greglo23

sounds to me you`ve a worn or loose wheel bearing. jack the van up (make sure you put something like a concrete block on each side of the back wheels. catch the top and bottom of the wheel and rock the wheel in and out towards you. if there`s a lot of play its probably your wheel bearing. a worn cv makes a loud clicking noise on a hard lock

• Registered Users Posts: 8,387 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Sounds more like a CV joint to me than a wheel bearing. A knackered wheel bearing tends to make a type of "humming" noise at speed which I don't think is the type of sound ando is talking about.

If it is a wheel bearing, and it makes noise when turning left then it's probably the right hand bearing that has the problem. Because when you turn left the weight of the car shifts to the right and puts more load on the RH bearing.

Dunno if this same principle would apply to a CV joint.

BrianD3

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

If it only makes noise when the wheels are turned then it's the cv joint. It could do with replacing but it could last years without needing to be replaced. It will need a new rubber boot put on though.

lol a wheel bearing on the way out sounds like theres a motorbike right behind you all the time....

Where as a CV joint is the rock on rock clicking noise....

Either way i'd start saving a few bucks!!!!

ps just spent 216 bucks on two dunlop tyres today so im particulary bitter.

Chief.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

thanks for the advice. Is it dangerous to be driving on the bad cv joint/wheel bearings? Company pays for the van so price doesn't bother me, just if it costs a lot it may take a week or two for the company to pay to get it fixed, and I wana know if its a danger to be driving it (on the motorway a good bit with the van)

I wouldnt say so... but ground it just to be sure!! Like its not your money.

well I got new brakes there just before christmas, and new tyres around 3 weeks ago. Thats the last time the wheels have been off, and the nuts were put back on with a gun thingy-me-bob...

I just had a thought, behind the brake disk is a metal shield which I think protects the wheel hub from brake dust, etc. Its posible that the sheild got twisted or moved (its only thin metal) and that its now rubbing against the wheel hub as the wheel turns....

Mike.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,543 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Originally posted by John R
    If it only makes noise when the wheels are turned then it's the cv joint. It could do with replacing but it could last years without needing to be replaced. It will need a new rubber boot put on though.
    On a van maybe.
    Correct me if I'm wrong but having a CV fail while driving at speed or cornering sharply in a front wheel drive car would be new underpants time if you wern't able to put the clutch in, in time.

Yep, the CV is the bit that links the wheel hub with the
    driveshaft.

Mike.

Advertisement