Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best TV Card??

• 12-02-2004 3:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭

I want to start using my PC to record programmes from TV so I can store the on my HD or on DVD. Can anyone recommend a good TV card that can do the job?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

i'm looking for one too, costing under 100eur if possible.

THe main thing is that audio capture is done thru the card aswell, to reduce possibilites of audio-desync

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭IrishPug106GTi

Is there anybody out there who can shed some light on this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

Personally I use the ATI Radian All in wonder 9000. Excellent card for both capture and graphics. I sold my Ti4200 to buy this and I've noticed little difference in (grapics) performance.

Comes with great software which includes ATI VCR. You can tune in all your channels and then set the timer to record whenever you want.

Would highly recommend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭whosurpaddy

whats the quality like of the output dave? also how much HDD space are you talking about for say an hour of video. also does this card work with the ati remote?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

Originally posted by whosurpaddy
    whats the quality like of the output dave? also how much HDD space are you talking about for say an hour of video. also does this card work with the ati remote?

Output quality very much depends on your settings which you have total control over. There are some very good guides on capturing with the Radian here. Have a look at the "capture MPEG with the ATI card section which details the different quality settings.

Also this card does work with the remote. You can capture in Avi (if you want to edit the video) or Mpeg. You can capture to high quality Mpeg2 which will then burn directly to DVD assuming you have the correct resolutions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

I have been looking at the cards on komplett.ie here.

The MSI TV @nyhere Master thingy-ma-bob i am very tempted to get. Its only €52 and also does MPEG4 compression. Im not too sure which one to go for myself either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭neokenzo

I'm thinking of getting one myself but I was thinking of getting the Pinnacle PCTV Pro PCI, TV and radio receiver but I am not sure whether it is good. Anyone using this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 382 ✭✭G

I have the Asus TV Tuner card. Works great for video capture, don't really use it for watching TV but it's still good. Got it on Komplett for about 70 notes but they don't seem to stock it anymore.

This page has most good cards with prices and reviews: http://www.dvdrhelp.com/capturecards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

i was eyeing the 50eur one on komplett aswell. I tihnk i might just go ahead and get it soon. Its very tempting. I'm gonna get some more advice/read up on that card more first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Originally posted by neokenzo
    I'm thinking of getting one myself but I was thinking of getting the Pinnacle PCTV Pro PCI, TV and radio receiver but I am not sure whether it is good. Anyone using this?

I read some reviews for it on Amazon and most of them didnt print a pity picture for the Pinnacle one. A lot of people compained of heavy CPU usage and bad software among other things.

From the reviews of the MSI one most people seem to be happy with it. Was near impossible to find reviews of it though, that was the only problem.

I might get the MSI one when im ordering more stuff, its a tad over €70 with shipping [I'll only go DHL] at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭parasite

the msi uses a new-ish chipset which isn't as widely supported, just to bear in mind
    itdirect.ie do some too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭124124

Great thread! Does anyone know any PCIMCIA cards so that I can watch telly with my laptop? I have a Dell 8200 and loads of RAM and nice big 15" UXGA display. I have been looking for a PCMICIA for quite a while now, but all I managed to find in the internet is is broken links and dead sites!

Thanks in advance!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭whosurpaddy

ive never seen a pcmcia one, u could try a usb one instead. couple of them here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭Big Chief

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=117395&cks=PRL

makes it seem as if you get free sky digital :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 625 ✭✭✭ThreadKiller

Been trying forever to get a hercules TV Card to pick up channels off cable, I think the frequencies may be incorrect on them...

Advertisement