Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

egypt- pros/cons, where to go?

• 12-02-2004 4:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭

would like to visit gisa and the red sea amongst other places. has anyone any recommendations for planning a holiday to the country-i.e places to stay, things to do. i hear along the red sea they are less strict about alcohol-its just seen as i dont get many holidays in the year i want a chance to be able to go somewhere to relax and have a few beers when i have had enough of sightseeing.

any suggestions would be greatfully received.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

My bro was there for 3 months teaching english a few years back and said its
    a cool place as long as you stay away from Cairo or Giza.. both of them are
    crazy places as far as traffic, noise, dust, pollution and being hassled by guys
    trying to sell you stuff goes... he almost got his nose broken trying to get onto the
    bus as it was like a 15 seater mini bus and about 100 people waiting to get into it..

So as soon as the bus arrived, there was a mad surge for it.. and just as he got his
    foot onto the first step, he was grabbed by the back of his jumper and ripped off the
    step, pushed him back and one of the locals who wanted to get on elbowed him
    deliberately in the face.. apparently they didnt like the fact that an outsider was
    getting on their bus service before them... a few of the guys from Ireland and the UK
    he was sharing with had experienced similar treatement from the locals...

Apart from that, once you got outside of the big cities, its supposed to be a lovely
    country, especially if you get off the beaten track a bit..

The pyramids are lovely as is a boat jounney on the Nile but as far as he's
    concerned the Red Sea made his trip.. spent the last week there just relaxing and
    vegging out.. very cheap, very relaxing and just the place to chill out with a few
    beers..

Tox

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭rodney.redneck

thanks tox, sounds like the red sea is the best bet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭trotter_inc

My parents are going to Cyprus for 10 days and then going on a 4 day cruise on the Nile - they are staying on the cruise ship at night time so they can drink as much as they want. Just thought Id mention it to you - not sure what their alcohol policy is over there in Egypt - they're going with Direct Holidays (www.direct-holidays.ie) - might be worth checking out the website.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

You can always try the Lonely Planet guides.

Tox

Advertisement