Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disappearing Taskbar in XP

Options
  • 12-02-2004 4:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭

The odd time, my taskbar in XP will disappear. I can still access the programs running by using Alt+Tab, and in Task Manager, explorer is still running. Any ideas how to get it back, short of rebooting?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭moridin

Kill and restart the explorer task?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ColmOT [MSFT]

This can happen if a process hogs the explorer.exe process and makes it unresponsive.

Kill the task that's hogging explorer using taskmgr.exe

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭moridin

Didn't I just say that? :p

No - you said kill explorer.exe
    I said kill the process that's hooking into explorer.exe. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Killing explorer is more of an emergency measure. Any programs that are resident in the system tray will usually be lost and be required to be killed. Which can't be good for them. :)

• Advertisement

Not necessarily.

The exe lives in it's own memoryspace, so killing explorer.exe shouldn't matter to the systray app.

The reson why some icons don't reappear is that the developer hasn't taken into account a 'explorer.exe refresh' where the process may be nuked and restarted. The systray app should check for the presence of explorer.exe at an interval, and if it' snot present, redraw it's bitmap icon in the systray area.

Advertisement