Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

avi movie question

Options
  • 12-02-2004 5:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭

I'm putting together a small website for a familly business. I have this avi movie that I'd really like to use. It's around 250MB at present which is too big. What would be the best way to compress it down to use it on my site(ie Should I change it to a different format, Mpeg?). Please keep in mind that I'm completely new to web design.
    Cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭tomED

How long is the video?

If its only a sma video just resize it to a smaller size (using something like adobe premier or something)

Then encode it with realmedia using realmedias encoding software (it's free) i think its called helix now or something. go to www.realmedia.com

If you pay for hosting a lot of them will allow you to stream real media - find out of your hosting provider if you can stream these files.

If you can stream let us and know and we can tell you how to do the rest.

Tom

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭GarGuile

The movie is around a minute long, it statrted out as this huge quicktime move(.mov) which I compressed down using quicktime pro to this 250MB avi file. Which works fine from a disk but is too big (In my mind!) as a download.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭GarGuile

That should read 4 minutes long.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭tomED

That sounds very large for a 4 min movie.

Download that helix software - see how small you can get it.

Tom

• Advertisement
Advertisement