Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thursday 12th in Fitz

Options
  • 12-02-2004 5:06pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I'm going in tonight with a friend from work but I'm wondering what would happen if I qualified again. The odds are against it but if I did can I ask Luke to put it in someone elses name? Has anyone been in this situation?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭kencleary

Reckon i'll head along too. Been a while since i've had a game.
    What's the story with these free games? No dealers right? and about what time does the game kick off at?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

I don't think you can win a second free ticket then just hand it over to someone else. I think if you do win a ticket you get €250euro credit for the Fitzwilliam, to play blackjack or use for entry/buyins/topups in other tournaments or cash games.

Something like that anyway.

Originally posted by kencleary
    Reckon i'll head along too. Been a while since i've had a game.
    What's the story with these free games? No dealers right? and about what time does the game kick off at?
    Be there for 9 to get your name down, starts at about 9.30, its been very full the last few weeks. Usually no dealers, sometimes there'll be one or two dealers floating around, there's usually a dealer per table after the freezeout.
    Free to enter, the games are very loose, expect and all in every 2nd or third hand, expect to buy in a time or 2 unless you're very good (or very lucky :))

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,663 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

Originally posted by musician
    I'm going in tonight with a friend from work but I'm wondering what would happen if I qualified again. The odds are against it but if I did can I ask Luke to put it in someone elses name? Has anyone been in this situation?

This has happened to Davey Devil and Fitz just gave hime entry to the next months tournie as well - so if you qualify tonight then you have a seat for March

Hyzepher

• Registered Users Posts: 20,835 ✭✭✭✭cormie

I'll probably be there aswell. Hopefully I wont be playing against luck.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Samson

What a fucking idiot.
    Me, that is.

After making it to the final table, I went and put myself out first:
    Play was fairly tight, with a lot of people folding, so I decided to go all in with the first pair I had, as I would have been down to €7.5K after the blinds. Bad decision.
    I came up with a pair of fives on the big blind and reraised before the flop hoping to steal it. In hindsight, with my little stack (€10.5K), I was bound to get called, and duly was.
    He had a pair of tens, no help for me on the table, and here I am at home now.

I don't for a minute think I would have won a ticket (got to the final table on luck rather than skill), but I certainly should have lasted longer.
    :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Similar experience myself Samson. Went out in 10th. Had a medium pair and put in a raise. Norman, big blind, came over the top with a raise to put me all in. I folded. Good move actually, he had pocket kings. I should never have been in the pot. It cost me too much and then the blinds killed me. Went out in 10th.

On a positive note. Pre freeze out I was having a very bad time. Stinking with the flu and not getting ANY cards. After the re-buy period I had €600 left. I decided not to top up and maybe have a early night. Within about 20 minutes of restarting I was up to just €13000......nice. Got pocket aces and went all in. I think everyone called me cos they thought I was having a go. The aces held up. One or two more medium pots and I was sitting pretty. Alas I threw it all away.

MrP

I didn't have a great night either, 3 buyins, didn't get particularly bad cards, not very good either though. I'm never going for 4 swift pints before the Fitz again either, terrible idea.
    I had about 2500 chips at the start of the freezeout, didn't bother with a topup as I was happy enough to get home early. Got a straight on the flop increased my stack then went all in on K7 in late position, got one caller who's medium pocket pair stood up.
    Roll on Sat at Devs and Monday business league.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Dakeyras

well another fine mess i managed last night, fun though. Had an even night before the freezeout, nothing too excessive. Then afterwards all going quietly until i hit pocket kings and for some reason unknown to anyone including myself, i checked the blinds. no that isnt the end of my stupidness, flop throws up an ace and to top all my stupidty i throw all in (bout 3 1/2) and of course he turned up an ace. Pure bad poker so no excuses for me.

Though i had a running commentary from the woman beside me on the hands during the night, lovely woman and i think she was trying to give me some friendly advice throughout the night though of course it didnt help with my kamikaze play, good fun was had once again though.

I had to laugh at the play from one of the guys at our table, came along late and enlivened the table to some tune, all-ins all over the place without looking at his cards, fair play to the man. Didnt work out for him most of the time unfortunately and i think he was shocked getting called on about 4000 straight after the rebuy period ended.

Good fun again but must cease the useless moves altogether really.

And to ad, i hadnt had enough by then of course so it was home to were a game was just starting as well, went on a mission to redeem myself after the poor show of card playing. Was all going good and was up (for a short time) and sitting even coming to the end, two of us left with my stack about 3 times the size. and i threw it all away in the space of 3 hands. Now thats showing how not to play to some tune. So actually if anyone is looking for a masterclass in what hands not to play well then im running a world class school here. I think i'll call it "how to lose with hands that a monkey could take the pot with".

Any takers???

I am sure Musician will elaborate on this later when he comes online - but last night's final hand at the Fitzwilliam has to be one of the most bizarre and stupid I have ever seen. In fact the more I think about it, the more I am frustrated that people dont act this way when I play them.

Anyway there were six left with 5 places up for grabs - musician was the shortest stack and also the big blind (3000/6000) - everyone else bar 1 have a decent stack and that guy was on the button so was safe for now. It was odds on that Musician would be next out unless he got a monster hand.

The guy to musician's left (lets call him P1) raised enough to put Musician all-in if he called, however, the guy to his right (P2) re-raised about 10k or so - everyone folds to P1 - he calls. Now this is mistake number 1. Flop comes down Ace/x/x P1 checks, P2 raises about 10k again, P1 calls leaving him 1k - mistake number 2 - turn comes down a 9 - P1 checks, P2 bets 1k, P1 calls all-in 1k and turns over A2 - P2 turns over 99 for a set. P1 goes out and musician's birthday, christmas etc come all at once.

FFS - A2? A2? What was he thinking? Why did he even get involved in a pot? Actually now that I think about it - why was P2 betting on 99 when an Ace was on the flop? It looked like neither of these guys wanted to qualify. This just shows that you can't account for human logic - no matter how stupid. In fact witnessing this hand has actually given me an insight into the minds of those who play poker - and maybe a little edge to help my old game

Hyzepher

• Advertisement

Its weird what people do under pressure or if they get a rush of blood to the head.
    Did any Boards people (apart from musician) get a ticket to the big game?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

As Hyzepher said twas crazy stuff. Reminded me alot of the previous week. For the second time somebody else did me a favour when I was favorite to go out.
    My strategy at the final table is fairly tight.
    If I have a relatively low stack I wait for good hands and the right position before going all-in. I only try this if nobody has called the big blind yet. If someone calls it before you chances are they will call your raise.
    If I have a big stack I throw everything away. I mean everything. If you have a very large stack then get a pillow and get some sleep. This is what 2 players decided not to do both last week and this week. I'm eternally grateful to them.
    In general it's about being very attentive to the size of the other stacks at the table. Most of the time, when low on chips, you want to win blinds once every round but if there are other stacks under threat and you have enough chips to call the blinds and pass then it can be worth waiting to see how the other low stacks fare. All in all ultra-tight.
    Sounds terrible but I was only there last night to keep my workmate company as shes not been in often and I fancied an early night if possible. But if it comes your way you take it.
    Another tip from last night. I was on the big blind when there were two tables left and I noticed the small blind player holding his hand ready to throw it in. Then when he saw that nobody else had called he called my big blind. I immediately re-raised all-in. When you get your cards, look at them, put a chip on them and then do nothing until it's your move. Don't give anything away about your intentions.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,517 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Having not been to the Fitz Club yet (still practicing!), when you're down to the last 5 (let's say all guaranteed tickets to the big game), is there any point in playing really tight? Is there anything to gain, beyond the recognition of having come 1st or 2nd?

Once the game has got to the number of winners i.e. 5 left and 5 tickets - the game is over

Hyzepher

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Originally posted by musician
    ..... I was on the big blind when there were two tables left and I noticed the small blind player holding his hand ready to throw it in. Then when he saw that nobody else had called he called my big blind. I immediately re-raised all-in. When you get your cards, look at them, put a chip on them and then do nothing until it's your move. Don't give anything away about your intentions.

I noticed that too. He was doing that the entire time I was at the the table. At that time there was 2 tables. That is a fairly bad tell alright. Well done again. i really need to work on my patience. I don't know if you remember the hand where I raised Norman when he was on the big blind? He called me and then raised me 4k after the flop. I had pocket eights and the flop brought me nothing. WTF was I doing raising pocket eights with 11 players left. Ah well. Play and learn. I seem to be mostly finishing there or there abouts. A bit more discipline and I should be finishing in the prizes a bit more.

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 2,220 ✭✭✭Davey Devil

The guy giving away the tell was a friend of mine, henows himself that it was a mistake, needless to say he'll be keeping his hands off his cards in future. He was very unlucky last night when calling an all in bet with pocket queens. The raiser had A,5 and hit the A on the river to go out in 7th or 8th.

Seems the standard is getting worse every week and I include myself in that. Played a shocker last night but was unlucky to go out when I was all-in with AJ vs A5 vs J7. J came on the flop so I was looking good but a 7 came on the turn to put me out. J7 was Pat who was the guy who blew it on the final table.

To be fair to him I could see what he was trying to do. He was making a raise to issolate Musician but didn't count on the chip leader calling. Then the flop came down with an Ace he should have went all-in but instead checked the bet to the chip leader. Chip leader instantly thought Pat didn't have the Ace and so he put in a sizable bet. Mistake number 2 was calling the bet. Although he wasn't beat at the time Pat must of considered chip leaded had a bigger ace but yet he still called. Obviously Pat felt pot committed at this stage so called the bet. Had he layed the hand down he still would have had a decent chance considering Musician was in big trouble. I'd say he was pissed off with himself and it didn't help when Norman had a go at him for playing it so badly.

Also another point: why was that big guy dealing at the final table? You'd think they'd have a proper dealer at that stage especially after the guy made a major f*ck up when it was down to 2 tables. He burnt two cards by mistake and then couldn't remember which was the extra burnt card. Luke sorted it out though.

I know we are only the bottom of the poker ladder but:

GIVE US MORE DEALERS!!

Originally posted by Davey Devil
    GIVE US MORE DEALERS!!

I actually think that the club is too small now - since the influx of boards.ie (and other friends) I dont think the club can run the Thursday tournie and the demand for cash games. I saw that they bought a new table but it didn't really help. Luke also hinted that they may be limiting the amount of players allowed in the Thursday game - so in future get there early.

Hyzepher

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I was actually quite happy with my play. I got crap cards and mostly threw them back where they belonged (my biggest problem is boredom if I'm not playing).

Then Joe (Mr All In) came along and I just sat out the silliness cos I wasnt getting pocket-anythings...

I was up to about 7500 just after the freeze out... but my luck was woeful as the cards were just dogs to me. I got whittled down to about 1000 before I got a decent hand and went all in and it stood up. Then I just got whittled down by the blinds... the worst thing about the night was that the 83o that I would throw back in disgust would be met with 883 on the flop.... sh|t like that happened all night to me and it wrecks your head!

I had a ball with the players at my table though as they generally a good laugh.... Gerire was at my table too and Samson but who else... I didnt catch their names...

DeV.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Samson

Originally posted by DeVore
    I had a ball with the players at my table though as they generally a good laugh.... Gerire was at my table too and Samson but who else... I didnt catch their names...

Dakeyras was the chap sitting to Gerire's left.
    He who put Joe out with the ace on the river, I sure was relieved when that happened.
    :D

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Aye, I thought it might be.... bloody good job too! :)

Who was the big lad opposite me, seemed like a nice fella and I thought he said he was from Boards but I couldnt be sure.

Congrats on getting to the last table Samson, you were playing a dark horse kinda game it seemed to me... I dont recall ever being up against you all night at our table.

My fortunes were great initially and then I just got crap cards for the rest of the night. I'm black and blue from kicking myself for not following in on some of them but happy that I made the right decision. Last night gave me a lot more confidence for the business league.... if it hadnt been for some of the lunacy I could have cruised home on my stack from about midway.

DeV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭kencleary

Yeah that was me opposite you DeVore!
    Had a poor night really - spent €40 and didn't make it far past the freezeout
    Combination of bad cards and poor playing the ones i did get

Advertisement