Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BB 1 Connection into 3 rooms - what needed ?

• 12-02-2004 5:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

we wanna order UTV BB now.

As we are sharing the house between three of us, and each has it`s own laptop, we wanna get BB into every bedroom.

What exactly will we need for that ? We don`t have a clue for the moment what is needed.

I would be grateful for infos (regular cable way and Wireless)

THX,
    Daniel

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 985 ✭✭✭APM

not being smart but there must be at least 4 or 5 threads around here with that information if you just do a search

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭radiospan

Hi Daniel,

If it's laptops you're using, then a wireless router and wireless cards for each laptop would be ideal. You should be able to use the internet from each laptop from anywhere in the house.

UTV BB supply a modem, which you won't need.

I'm using a Netgear DG824M router with Clicksilver and it's very good. This includes an ADSL modem, and can be used to wirelessly network your laptops.

I'm not using laptops with it, though. You'd need a wireless card for each laptop, maybe somebody else can recommend one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Originally posted by plazz2000
    I'm not using laptops with it, though. You'd need a wireless card for each laptop, maybe somebody else can recommend one?
    The standard recommendation is to stick with the same brand as the router if you're buying everything from scratch. Mix and match should work fine, but unless some of the laptops have wireless built in, it seems that each brand tends to work just a little bit better with similiar gear.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

I am currently using this linksys router/modem and it seems fine so far. Coupled or tripled I suppose with this card should see you futureproofed and ready to visit you local wifi coffee shops.

Other than some set up like that its three long lengths of cable I guess!

Advertisement