Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

gf4800 in nned of repair

Options
  • 12-02-2004 6:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭

my power supply blew recently and took most of my pc with it, and i'm wondering if there is anywhere in dublin that will repair my gf4800.
    Everywhere i've asked says they wont repair it and recommend to replace it, but its an expensive and good card,
    any sugestions would be helpful

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

I doubt you'll be able to get in repaired tbh.
    I mean, any component could be blown; the chip itself, anything.
    Most places wouldn't have the correct test equipment and even if they did wouldn't stock every component of every card out there.

You could contact the manufacturer directly and see if they would take a look at it but it would probably cost more then buying a new one.
    Bite the bullet, dump in bin and order a new one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Xithus

If its still under warranty try bring it back, Play dumb and say it just stopped working.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

the recipt is long gone and Game wont do anything without it, i might try creative themselves and see what they can do

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Sir Random

Is there any visible damage? check the capacitors for leakage (the small cylindrical components) as blown caps can be replaced easily. Also check the gold contacts where the card slots into the mobo. If any are burned away, this can be repaired too.

If there's no visible damage, then either the core or memory is probably blown & the card is irrepairable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

the only physical damage appears to be a blown transister on rear face of card, if i can find out exactly what it is i can replace it myself, other prob is that i just built my new system and wanted to try it in a different rig.
    when the ps blew it burnt out the cpu cdrom drive mobo and my audigy, most of which have tracks burnt compleatly off the pcb, so i could have easily fried a chip or 2 as well. i have tried creative but still waiting to get an answer from them

• Advertisement
Advertisement