Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CPL Ireland and Mice

Options
  • 24-08-2000 1:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭

Fair play to Mindphuck and Nethouse for setting up and hosting the CPL Ireland qualifier. It's far and away the most important Quake competition ever held in Ireland. But for this very reason I hope Nethouse see fit to change the Local rule on the use of mice for the comp. Isnt it just plain lame and unfair to force all players to use a particular type of mouse in such an important competition? It actually introduces unfairness in that Intellimouse users have a massive advantage. Wouldn't it be great if the winner was free from all doubt as to the validity of their win. Here's living in hope that Nethouse see reason..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Jedi

No offense to anyone involved in organising of the is once in a life time event (thx to nethouse and Eric) but to be honest the mice situation is the biggest handicap to non intelli users. Take Koopa for instance and Ser. Who play every week on these mice. What ever skill advantage they had on us had been increased by been able to use there own setup. Whereas like overlord, podgeen, jethrog, etc don't use these mice. I use that big chunky mouseman +. Monster of a yoke. Not to mention I have 4 weapon binds on the mouse and attack and jump. I will have to change my config to play for that one day because the intelli has no thumb button.

Its the simple things that will be the diffence between winning games and losing in this competion. Please re-think the rules on the mice.

Thx
    Tom/Jedi

• Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

I agree about useing your own mice. But dont the cpl's not allow you to use a fourth mouse button anyway? As its an unfair advantage to people with good mice? If thats the case with the european qualifier not much point in letting us use a thumb button here.
    Quozl

• Registered Users Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭podgeen

Whats the story with other CPL events?
    English qualifiers etc,,
    Are you allowed to use you own mouse?
    WIll you be allow to use it in the european one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭Vorosha

hi, [IE3]Vorosha here. i think you'll find, that i used to use a wingman and changed to the inteli the minute i saw the latest go up about the cpl qualifiers, to be a lie.

meself and jethrog changed to intelli last week also..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭creative

Micorsoft marketing is what this CPL lark is in disguise

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭Dr_Teeth

intelli's 0wn. smile.gif I just ordered the new Intellimouse Optical to replace my aging Intellimouse USB. Mmmm.. they're the only things M$ do well!

Teeth.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭MindPhuck

Ill discuss this when I get back from London.

But basicly its like this. I have been told that some mice drivers phuck up PC's when other mice drivers are on the pc's. I cannot/will not entertain the time it would take to get a pc fixed up because someone screwed up a pc with fuddy duddy settings. We wont have time on the day.

FYI-
    - x8 15 minuite FFA's
    - x128 10 minute duels

This leaves about 10 mins max between games, and even with that, we will probably run way into the wee hours of sunday morning.

As it stands, the rules wont change until im convinced of -
    A) People will get their mouse installed and warmed up within 10 mins?
    B) Some gobsh1te wont wreck the pc on someone whos going to be playing next.
    C) everyone accepts that if they go over the 10 minute alloted time, they will get disqualified. Urggh.

I'll chat to some of you over the weekend and see what options are open to us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭El_Presidente

I suggest you let ppl use their own mouse when you get down to the last 16 or 32.

Makes no difference to me as I won't be here for it but in the interests of fairness I think people should be able to use their own mice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭Ser

i use to use the same mouse as you also jedi.

i think you will find i changed to inteli as soon as i saw this rule.

i now use the inteli. i changed 2 weeks ago.

i very much doubt they can change the rules on this.

• Advertisement

I am all for using my own mouse but i can see the problem that will arise from it.
    lets say koopa is on the machine with his intelli mouse
    i have top unstall his drivers (reboot)
    install my new drivers (reboot)
    then play my game
    then whoh ever is next has to check what drivers are installed.. and unstall and reinstall correct drivers as necessary...
    This is going to be very time consuming and also frustrating for the players.
    so here's what i suggest.

when you register for the cpl you state the mouse you will be using and this is not subject to change..

as far as i know the standard intelli driver works for all intelli and
    the standard logiteck drivers work for all the logiteck;s....

THen lets say you have 6 dedicated logiteck machines (with only logiteck drivers installed) 2 razor (What ever required based on players choice) and the rest intelli etc..

The above is only one solution to the problem.. i dont know how viable it would be to nethouse etc.. buts its a start..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭creative

Podgeen....it sounds all very simple but you could most certaqinly run into problems and given the time frame for the event do you want to be the one running into problems?

Anywhos....anyone no the exact type of intelli mouse they are in the nethouse?

I can see your point..
    I think at this late stage the rules should probably stay the same..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 359 ✭✭m1RV

I thought cpl duels were 15mins long?

<< Arf Arf >>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Rapier-q3

WELL LAEDS!!!

Ill be only too delighted to play with any mouse there F**King is lying around the gaff, Ive gone through a few months using the dreaded and much feared "PUCK"-i.e the one-mudda****an-buttoned apple/mac mouse so STFU all you big spolit whores =)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 359 ✭✭m1RV

The bewilderedness of a Apple Mac user, slighty frightening yet such natural behaviour :0

<< Arf Arf >>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 768 ✭✭✭SHADOW

It is highly unlikely that the rules will be changed with regard to the use of an individuals mouse.
    This is a standard local rule across cpl qualifing events.

Here being one example(rule 2.01b)

so sorry lads but it looks like you are just going to have to start to put in the hours of practice on intelli mice.

If there was a way that we could make it viable to do it then I would push for it but with the time restrictions that we already have there just isn't. frown.gif

In consilation tho, all the mice and keyboards will be brand new.

N

[This message has been edited by SHADOW (edited 28-08-2000).]

A few questions for you shadow man...
    what spec are the machines? graphic cards etc..
    also the mice.. USB? PS2? Will ye have PS2rate installed?

biggrin.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 3,529 ✭✭✭SickBoy

I don't think I'll be able to attend this but I would like to add my 2pence worth anyway. How can someone make a decision that if you want to be the best quake player in Ireland/Europe/US you have to use a MS mouse to become that player. I think thats an absolute joke. I certainly understand that changing mouse drivers, pulling cables out of ports, rebooting PC's and all that lark is time consuming but the advantage for ppl that already use MS mice is totally unfair. I doubt that other sports would tolerate such restraints. Forcing competitors to use certain equipment is madness. You cant expect a pro golfer to go from a custom made set of golf clubs to a stock set and expect him/her to play championship winning golf, you can't step into a McLarren F1 car and put in lap times in tune with the best of them and the same can be said of going from a 3 or more button logitech(or any other non MS mouse) to a MS intelimouse and play the same as you always have. I personally think this is a bad call and I know lots of others do as well but I suppose if the RULES! state that its MS mice or fu<k off then its a brick wall I'm hammering my head off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Rapier-q3

Wasn't there a lot of controversy over the english CPL a while back, all the players had to use the local mouse(mice), but timber got his own way eventually and used his own and won the competition. However i saw a demo of him in a FFa game which was before the dueling started where i think he had to use the 'local mouse' and he looked seriosuly bad.....just something to think about....

• Advertisement
Advertisement