Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EA to remake Goldeneye

Options
  • 12-02-2004 8:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭

EA set to return to GoldenEye for next Bond game [Source: gamesindustry.biz]
    Electronic Arts' next foray into the James Bond 007 franchise will be based on the 1995 movie GoldenEye, in a move which sees the company returning to the film which inspired one of the most highly regarded console games of the nineties.

The publisher is expected to unveil the new GoldenEye game at the E3 trade show in Los Angeles this May, and it's expected to be one of the key titles on the company's stand at the event.

The new game is being developed at the EA USA studios in Redwood Shores and Los Angeles, and although EA currently has a publishing agreement with UK developer Free Radical Design, which is made up of the core team that created the critically acclaimed GoldenEye on the N64 while working at Rare, Free Radical is not thought to be working on the project.

"We announced an agreement last year saying that we were going to exploit past, present and future Bond properties across a range of gaming platforms," explained an EA spokesperson this afternoon, "which includes the potential for taking historical Bond content and putting it into a new scenario."

The company declined to provide final confirmation of the GoldenEye title, stating only that "we definitely plan to more Bond games going forward, and we are exploring properties beyond Everything or Nothing, but we haven't announced anything as of right now."

However, the company is adamant that Free Radical, whose forthcoming title TimeSplitters 3 is being published by EA, is not currently contracted to work on the James Bond franchise. "Free Radical is not working on any James Bond games for EA," the spokesperson told us. "We have no plans at the present time to place Bond with another third party that we're working with - Bond products are currently being developed at our Redwood Shores and Los Angeles offices."

"We have signed an agreement with Free Radical for the new TimeSplitters game," he continued. "That is the only agreement currently that EA has signed with Free Radical - whether we do more products with them is still open to question."

Although the company's recent Bond titles have included original plotlines and characters rather than tying in closely with specific films, the company has expressed a desire to use historical content from the 20-movie strong series in its games.

The next Bond title from the company, which is called James Bond 007: Everything or Nothing and is set to be launched later this month, delves into the history of the series and features the character of Jaws, who appeared in a number of the movies in the franchise.

EA last year extended its deal with MGM Interactive and Eon Productions which grants the publisher exclusive worldwide rights to publish videogames based on the James Bond 007 franchise and characters - with the deal now set to run until 2010.

Can anybody smell CASH-IN? Jeez, I have now lost that teeny-weeny amount of respect I had for EA.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

I read DIS-AS-TER

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Originally posted by Giblet
    I read DIS-AS-TER

Aye. Churning out the same old crap year in and year out is dreadful for the games industry but re-making old games just sucks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Stormfox1020

I thought the already did? and apparently it was called agent underfire?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Imo, they'll probably just copy the game but stick their horrible logo everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

kill me now.

they are going to make complete **** out of it tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭DrEvil

I wouldn't dismiss this game so easily! has anybody here dissin this actually played any of the bond games by ea? i have played the last bond game and i have to say i liked it and the multiplayer part is great fun too.

The standard of recent ea games has improved with the likes of SSX3 and NFS:UG even though they do make blatently stupid cockups (MOH:RS, for example) but overall imo they're as good as any company to do this right

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭DiscoStu

OMFG!!1!! LOL Goldeneye:Underground:2005 IS TEH WIN LOL OMG!!!!!11!1!!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,175 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

and here i was thinking that there's almost no originality in gaming anymore.

Oh wait...i was right.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭Horsefumbler

if it's not being made by the people who made goldeneye on the n64 then it will be just like the other james bond games that fill the shelves atm ie. shit

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Len_007

A flare of anger rose slowly in me as I was reading that. They'll make a massacer of it. Why can't they leave a masterpiece alone? They only positive thing I can see coming out of this is that maybe the newer generation might hear the rumers of how the original is much better, and go out and get a copy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Ah it was ok when it was made but i douth any one now adays would be rushing to play it again.....You never know Ea might do a good job and then we will get bi weekly updates of 15+ year old games!....i could really go for a game of rampage now

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

http://cube.ign.com/articles/494/494775p1.html
    February 25, 2004 - Having heard about the greatest James Bond game for more than seven years now, nobody knows more about the popularity, success and unbelievably long-lasting lore of GoldenEye 007 than the current owner of the videogame rights to that property, Electronic Arts. According to several recent reports, IGN has learned that a spiritual successor to the Rare-developed first-person shooter is indeed in the works.

Called Goldeneye II, the upcoming first-person shooter takes a different spin on the Bond formula, giving players the ability to play as a bad guy, fighting against James Bond. Goldeneye II takes place in the Bond universe, and according to EGM magazine (which will have the cover story on it in its next issue), players will fight against James Bond and they might be able to pair up with other well-known Bond villains.

Since the first game was developed by Rare and published by Nintendo there is likely to be very little in common with the first game, except the notoriously well received name. What official comment did EA have on the game that will appear in the next EGM? "No comment," said an EA representative.

All other questions were also answered by "no comment." The game is believed to be in development with EA LA, according to the Website gamesindustry.biz, and not Free Radical, the development studio that split from Rare's GoldenEye team back in the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Len_007

Play as a bad guy eh? Then you're right back into the Perfect Dark. The reason why the Bond formula works is that the Player can easily identify with Bond and can slip right into his shoes, coz we all want to be bond. I know it's got nothing to do with gameplay but still

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Cock 'n Balls

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Play as the bad guy? so now you only have one guy you can kill and game over? sounds, poo :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭wataru

Heheh, Imagine how much cash they payed for the licence... omg

Perfect Dark rocked sooo much fun...

Anyone heard anything new on the sequel all I've seen are the wall papers of Joanna on IGN....

JayJay

Advertisement