Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are queens of the stoneage

Options
  • 11-02-2004 10:50am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭

PlayLouder.com reports on the possible demise of QUEENS OF THE STONE AGE:

"QOTSA SPLIT?

Josh Homme has kicked Nick Oliveri out of Queens Of The Stone Age.

Josh is fed up of Nick's partying, and has decided he doesn't want him in the band anymore. Also gone is occasional collaborator Mark Lanegan, also known for his acclaimed work with THE SCREAMING TREES, and his own band, The Mark Lanegan Band.

As Oliveri wasn't present on the first album, and Lannegan is only a recent collaborator, Josh Homme has the rights to their name. All of the players are working on seperate projects right now.

A source said 'it was their last tour in Australia that gave [Nick] the push, it was all out of control. But it's not hard to believe they are ready to split after 19 months of solid touring basically. That's rock and roll'."

Comments

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Well Josh Homme and Nick Oliveri are more or less the heart and soul of QOTSA, so I wouldn't really like to say. But things are looking bleak.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Could this open the way for a Kyuss reunion??????????

Probably not...:(

Originally posted by therecklessone
    Could this open the way for a Kyuss reunion??????????

Probably not...:(
    Both John Homme and Nick Oliveri were in Kyuss... I'd doubt that there will be a reunion... :dunno:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Point taken, but I was thinking ...And The Circus Leaves Town-era Kyuss, with Scott Reader on bass.

Still not gonna happen...:(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Heh, wasn't Nick kicked out of the Dwarves for the same reason?! :rolleyes: Pity, great band.

As for a Kyuss reunion, unless it was to tour I don't think its such a good idea, reunions are dodgy, and I love my Kyuss! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

A rock-band kicking out a member because he parties too much? What the fuck?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Dathai

It may sound a bit thick to some but if the guys cant do any work because of problem(Nick Oliveri),they must resolve it.Hell I dont care as long as they make more bitchin albums such as 'Songs For the Deaf' then Im happy.The guy was probably dragging them down anyway.

The thing is, will QOTSA lose their sound as a result of him being fired? And will they disband altogether? These are questions left to be answered...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭Buck Owens

Is'nt nick one of the founding members? I hope this does'nt mean the end of QOTSA! It'll be hard replacing Mark lanagen, he had a really cool voice, so did Nick come to think of it, maybe Twiggy Ramierz or Jeordie white could replace him? maybe it could be a new direction for Queens they do'nt have to spilt! Maybe PJ Harvey could replace Mark Lanagen in the way he does the whole Guest vocals thing! What does everyone thing of Dessert sessions 9 & 10 and Mondo Generator?

I really hope they dont split :(

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Zoton

I thought they hadn't toured at all in ages and were focusing on side projects, like mondo generator and eagles of death metal etc.
    I had seen interviews with Josh Homme since they finished touring and he didnt mention any kind of craziness, just that the next qotsa album wouldnt be out for a good while.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

Any songs that Nick sang on 'Songs for the deaf' were the ones i skipped past, tbh. All he did was scream, and not in a good, Tom Araya kind of way. Queens never managed to top thier first album in my opinion, and if Nick wasnt in the band for writing that album (as someone else said) and it was all done by Josh Homme, then maybe itll be a good thing hes gone.
    Now i vote we get Joh Homme and Tim Armstrong in a pay per view boxing match and watch em both fight for Brodys loooove!! My moneys on Armstrong :D

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭wild_eyed

well, mark Lanegan, is definately gone.

www.marklanegan.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

It would appear that is also the case for Oliveri and Joey Castillo - replaced by former Screaming Trees men Van Connor and Barrett Martin

Barrett is a fantastic drummer, so all is not lost yet.

"Founding Bassist Nick Oliveri Leaves QUEENS OF THE STONE AGE
    Queens of the Stone Age have always had a revolving door of members, but at the heart of the band was the partnership of singer/guitarist Josh Homme and bassist Nick Oliveri. Not anymore.
    At a time when the band's lineup seemed more stable than it had been in years, Oliveri has unexpectedly left the band, breaking off a musical relationship with Homme that goes back to their days playing together in KYUSS in the early '90s.
    'A number of incidents occurring over the last 18 months have led to the decision that the two can no longer maintain a working partnership in the band,' read a terse statement from the band's management. On Queens of the Stone Age's Web site, SCREAMING TREES member Van Conner is now listed as the group's bassist.
    There has been speculation that something dramatic happened while the band was in Australia on the Big Day Out tour, but Ipecac Records co-owner Greg Werckman, whose label has released projects by both Homme and Oliveri, said he talked to Homme on Friday, following the completion of the tour, and had no idea there was any bitterness between any of the Queens bandmembers.
    'This definitely took me by surprise,' he said. 'They're both extremely talented people, and they seemed pretty much like kindred spirits. They both just love the music and love rock.'
    Queens Of The Stone Age plan to hit the studio this spring to work on a new album. When MTV News talked to Queens in June, the band said it had more than 25 songs written and hoped to have a new record ready by the spring.
    At the time, they had just hired drummer Joey Castillo and said they were looking forward to a long period of stability and productivity. 'We've finally found players that want to stay and we want them to,' Oliveri said.
    According to the band's Web site, Castillo is also no longer with the group. The new drummer is Barrett Martin, who was also in Screaming Trees.
    Homme is currently on tour in England drumming with side project EAGLES OF DEATH METAL. The band's debut album, Peace Love Death Metal, comes out March 23. Oliveri's most recent side project, MONDO GENERATOR's A Drug Problem That Never Existed, was released in July."

Originally posted by Doctor J

On Queens of the Stone Age's Web site, SCREAMING TREES member Van Conner is now listed as the group's bassist.

that only appears on the family tree and the guy read it wrong, it hasnt been updated in ages.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭freekhead

.finished????? no cant be????

Mabey you should have posted your query in the queens of the stoneage thread about this exact topic.I would click the edit button on your msg very quickly if I were you unless you actually want to be banned

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Originally posted by Dathai
    Mabey you should have posted your query in the queens of the stoneage thread about this exact topic.I would click the edit button on your msg very quickly if I were you unless you actually want to be banned

Why would he be banned? It's just a silly mistake...
    freekhead - yes, they split up because they apparently hate each other now. I posted a thread about it here earlier

From The Charter By AngelWhore

NO SPAMMING/MULTIPLE THREADS.
    Spam will be recycled .........

A few of the above = BAN!.

Just letting the guy know just so he dosent get banned.Like you said it was a silly mistake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Don't get your pantyhoes in a knot.

Simple mistake, s'all.

Im on the warphath on another site as well.Some SOB thinks he can octuple post the same thread and piss everybody off too so Im sortin him oot.Hes one of the 733T H4X3R5(leet hackers)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

shyt one....QOTSA are good.

im listening to kyuss none stop this week. if u think about, nic left kyuss, nic left queens. everybody leaves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭goo

Well, Nick, at least.

Well, Nick, at least.

My point exactly,

NICK!

Advertisement