Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom introduce New 1GB UPLOAD Cap on Base Product

• 12-02-2004 9:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭

This NEW Upload Cap will apply to all EXISTING users along with the 4Gb download Cap. Existing customer to be transferred to this product from the 01 / 03

Price drops to €39.99

alternatively you continue to pay the same price and get 8gb Down and Unlimited up for your €54.45

M

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭oq4v3ht0u76kf2

Where'd ya hear this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 241 ✭✭douglasman

Does anyone know if you choose to continue paying the €54.45, does this mean you move from RADSL to ADSL as the package is known as Eircom Broadband Home Plus/Eircom Broadband Business Starter

The link is

http://www.eircom.ie/About/Activities/pending.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

lol, to think they'd just do a complete cap increase on all prducts... Trust eircom to keep the 4gb cap if they could possibly find a way to do it. Their "new and improved" product is worse than their competitors existing ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

I Thought so too.

Wholesale prices for ADSL not announced yet. The drops appear dramatic.

M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,427 ✭✭✭ando

Originally posted by douglasman
    Does anyone know if you choose to continue paying the €54.45, does this mean you move from RADSL to ADSL

no I doubt it. My line is fine for Radsl, but cant support Adsl. I'd say there are plenty of ppl like me

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I was looking forward to the 8gb higher package but if its adsl that means high pinging interleaving on which is no good for my gaming:( will hav to stick with the smaller 4gb cap so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 monk

ehh the 1gb upload cap may be a bit tight for gaming if you do a lot of it
    I use about 20mb. per hour upload for gaming
    so in a month thats about 50 hours a month, might sound like a lot but think about a few extra hours at the weekend ?

i'd stick with the 8gb cap if the pings arent affected :confused:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

with the new 8gb cap home plus option the pings will jump from 30-40 to around 60-100:( coz you would be put on adsl high interleving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

is that definite the sweet to adsl as i also want to keep my low ping but want the high cap product?

yeah its definite, i wouldnt have minded paying the extra for the 8gigs in keeping with eircom radsl excellent ping service but the adsl with its high interleving has put me right off it now. Only way it can change is if eircom decide themselves to turn interleving low for adsl similiar to radsl. I'll wait for ppl who get the 8gb homeplus option to post their ping times and if they are not as high as i suspect then i mite go for that option.

• Advertisement

and we'll be able to switch between the different offered products no problem if we want?

I could be wrong about wot i said about the 512k adsl service, after checking the pings tread top of the forum i seem to get the impression that 512k eircom adsl has interleaving set low and that its the 1mb upwards connections that has it set high. I could be wrong but if someone could confirm that the 512k/256k adsl service with 24:1 contention ratio has the lower pings that would be kool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Tenshot

Originally posted by Gonzo
    I seem to get the impression that 512k eircom adsl has interleaving set low and that its the 1mb upwards connections that has it set high. I could be wrong but if someone could confirm that the 512k/256k adsl service with 24:1 contention ratio has the lower pings that would be kool.
    Generally, you're right; however, I'm on the RADSL service but with high pings (around 60ms); Eircom don't consider this a problem, despite numerous attempts to get my interleave reduced. Either I'm just very unlucky, or individual exchange DSLAMs are being configured differently...

hmm well i'm on the 512 now and my ping is fine about 30ms to irish and english servers, don't know if i'm on radsl or adsl though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Originally posted by Dataisgod
    radsl or adsl though
    RADSL if I remember correctly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭BKtje

ANY home product (ie eircom with 4gb cap , IOL , UTV are RADSL)
    Unless your paying the higher amounts your not on adsl.
    with the new 8gb cap home plus option the pings will jump from 30-40 to around 60-100 coz you would be put on adsl high interleving.

How do you know that they will switch the 8gb capped ppl to ADSL? WHole reason RADSL was introduced wa that it had a longer range so a lot of people will be outside the range for ADSL.Therefore im lef to believe that it would continue to be a radsl product. Would you mind posting your source as i believe your feeding people mis-information.

Apologies if your not.

Also
    I could be wrong but if someone could confirm that the 512k/256k adsl service with 24:1 contention ratio has the lower pings that would be kool.
    Eircom doesnt have a 512/256 product. Its either 512/128 or the Esat 512/256 you mean. However i dont know about interleaving on the Eircom Business products. I believe they are still higher than RADSL products. Esat Business uses fastpath (ie interleaving off)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭BKtje

omg i cant beliebve i missed that!!

/me goes and gets eyes checked hehe.
    Sorry Gonzo.

So all RADSL users will be automatically put to the cheapers version? Then they'd have to get the test done again to see if they can get ADSL? If they can move everyone up why didnt they give adsl from start etc :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Originally posted by Gonzo
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=141078

its stated at the start of above tread
    Well Muck states it, but doesn't give his reasons. There's certainly nothing in the oreillycom document to support that notion, and there's absolutely no technical reason why the change would be made.

Originally posted by Ripwave
    Well Muck states it, but doesn't give his reasons. There's certainly nothing in the oreillycom document to support that notion, and there's absolutely no technical reason why the change would be made.

Jeez Christ Ripwave . I said that the Wholesale section of the Eircom website had not been updated (still hasn't) so the Eircom Documentation is simply not there yet.

Eircom may be abolishing 512k ADSL and introducing a low contention 512k RADSL in its place , we don't know till the wholesale offer is published in the wholesale section of the Eircom website because the full specs are in there. Alternatively they may drop the price of 512k ADSL , that being what the low contention product is.

They may relax the line test for RADSL and ADSL, allowing ADSL to pass where only RADSL used to pass and thereby giving a lot of people another shot at getting BB . The Eircom staff have been told that the 512k LOW contention product is RADSL ....thats a new product from what I see. The previous 512k LOW contention product was ADSL for €90 a month or so (ex Vat)

Are you being wilfully ignorant or just plain rude and unhelpful to absolutely everybody all the time . :(

M

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Muck
    Jeez Christ Ripwave . I said that the Wholesale section of the Eircom website had not been updated (still hasn't) so the Eircom Documentation is simply not there yet.
    You said that "On further reading it seems as if the 512k product with the 8Gb CAP is NOT RADSL". You gave absoluetly no indication what else you were reading, but there was certainly nothing in the document that you did refer to to back that assertion up.

Why the hell would they bother changing connection from RADSL to ADSL anyway? It's just extra work, with no obvious advantage to oreillycom that I'm aware of, and the vast majority of their customers would only be affected negatively, if they're affected at all.

If you've got hard information, Muck, post it. If you're just speculating, tell us, so that we can ignore you. As it is, you've got dozens of people getting themselves into a tizzy over nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Originally posted by Muck
    Are you being wilfully ignorant or just plain rude and unhelpful to absolutely everybody all the time . :(
    Gotta agree with that sentiment:D <Ducks>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,705 ✭✭✭jd

Why the hell would they bother changing connection from RADSL to ADSL anyway? It's just extra work, with no obvious advantage to oreillycom that I'm aware of, and the vast majority of their customers would only be affected negatively, if they're affected at all.

mm-yeah-aren't radsl customers provisoned through different dslams?
    Surely it would make sense for both to be radsl products-then reprovisioning is somewhat more straightforward.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Sarsfield

As it is, you've got dozens of people getting themselves into a tizzy over nothing.

[troll]Isn't that the purpose of bulletin boards? Self-appointed experts report rumour and innuendo as insider information. then when it turns out to be bollocks, report that the powers-that-be changed their minds at the last minute. Meanwhile, gullible spotty kids get all excited about their newfound source of rock-solid information[/troll]

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 monk

but .. but if its on the net it has to be true :confused:

Originally posted by Sarsfield
    [troll]Isn't that the purpose of bulletin boards? Self-appointed experts report rumour and innuendo as insider information. then when it turns out to be bollocks, report that the powers-that-be changed their minds at the last minute. Meanwhile, gullible spotty kids get all excited about their newfound source of rock-solid information[/troll]
    Couldn't have said it better myself!

Originally posted by jd
    mm-yeah-aren't radsl customers provisoned through different dslams?
    Surely it would make sense for both to be radsl products-then reprovisioning is somewhat more straightforward.
    Exactly. Unless there's some huge benefit (to oreillycom, not their customers) they're not going to be doing anything except sending remote managemnt commands to the DSLAMs, changing the parameters globally.

The wholesale price is up. I'll let Ripwave explain it as long as he is on his best behaviour :DDetails. Where does the €49 product in the linked document fit into the Retail pricing matrix in the pending document by the way ?

Over to you .....dude.

Peace yáll

M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 244 ✭✭captainpat

Arguing about facts is usually a waste of time. It is not much fun or interest to the rest of us. Opinions are different, and a good oul ding-dong is great. But the issue of whether eircom will revert Starter customers to a new status, or Solo to Home Plus or whatever... is an issue of fact, not opinion. If someone posts some info, fine, it is an offering. If it is wrong, in the light of further info, then that's fine too. Nobody should feel insulted or misinformed. Certainly, nobody should complain about wrong info just because it is wrong. We need all info on this forum, and should not be put off posting just because it turns out to be wrong. It is not lies, unless deliberatelaty designed to be misleading.

So keep the info coming. I am completely confused about what the broadband position is now, so will welcome even rumours.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by captainpat
    Arguing about facts is usually a waste of time.
    The facts are that the two 512/128 services are both RADSL. In other words, existing RADSL customers will still be RADSL customers.
    Opinions are different, and a good oul ding-dong is great. But the issue of whether eircom will revert Starter customers to a new status, or Solo to Home Plus or whatever... is an issue of fact, not opinion.
    Speculation is not "fact", it's opinion. I just asked Muck to make it clear when he was speculating, and when he was stating facts. His record on finding and pointing to primary sources of hard information is pretty much second to none. His record on interpreting these sources, and speculating on what they actually mean leaves something to be desired.
    We need all info on this forum, and should not be put off posting just because it turns out to be wrong. It is not lies, unless deliberatelaty designed to be misleading.

So keep the info coming. I am completely confused about what the broadband position is now, so will welcome even rumours.
    You're confused because people have been posting misleading speculation, and you assumed it was "fact", rather than "opinion" (I'm not criticising you - it's obvious from other posts that there are lots of people in your boat). Posting a rumour about something that might happen in a couple of weeks, so that you have time to make a decision (or put off making a decision) is one thing. Posting a rumour a couple of hours before the real facts will be known, when it doesn't actually matter whether you find out now or in 6 hours time, is just wasting everyones time.

Advertisement