Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom introduce New 1GB UPLOAD Cap on Base Product

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Originally posted by Ripwave
    The facts are that the two 512/128 services are both RADSL.

There will be 3 512/128 Services from March. You are making the same mistake I made in assuming there would be 2 . From that came the question as to whether the higher spec of the 2 would be ADSL or RADSL . Finally, after close of business yesterday, the fat lady sang thus.

http://www.eircom.ie/bveircom/pdf/bitstreampricelistv1.4.pdf

1 over ATM
    2 over IP
    3 over IP

Eircom will only resell products 2 and 3 in future , product one is the 'original' ADSL and is being kept for legacy customers who have not transitioned to the cheaper product with the same performance and a higher CAP (legacy ADSL is 6Gb ISTR) ....or who can't in a few obscure cases.

In other words, existing RADSL customers will still be RADSL customers.

Correct. They will now have an upload cap if they elect to go for the cheaper option . If they elect to go for the 'original price option' at €54.45 they get an enhanced download CAP and a lower contention rate .

The Retail install costs go up to the pre discount days , 100 for self and 200 for engineer as before (incl VAT)

The Wholesale port connection charge will be only €60 (ex vat) whereas it was free during the special and €150 (ex Vat) before that .

This leaves more margin for all sellers, Eircom Retail and the Rest and is a good thingh IMO .

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭PhoenixRising

Originally posted by Muck
    The Retail install costs go up to the pre discount days , 100 for self and 200 for engineer as before (incl VAT)

So does this mean that eircom have stopped charging for the modem ? It looks like they are now providing it free of charge.

See here http://home.eircom.net/html/broadband/promo.html

They mention a combi modem for the home starter package and a 4 port modem for the home starter plus package. They list no price against them, so does that mean that they are now following IOL's line and providing free modems ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Originally posted by Muck
    There will be 3 512/128 Services from March. You are making the same mistake I made in assuming there would be 2 .
    The existing €108 product (eircom broadband solo) will continue to exist, using ADSL rather than RADSL, with a slight price drop, but it will effectively be a dead-end, legacy product (does anyone chose it today?). The only change in it will be an increase in the cap (just a billing change, not a technical change), and it looks as though the only reason for offering it is to avoid the cost of converting existing ADSL customers to RADSL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

existing radsl customers will still be radsl customers that got me happy, low pings and double the cap happy days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭Calman

So RADSL=good, ADSL=bad?
    What's the difference between them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

well form a gaming point of view i was told that adsl had interleaving or something turned out which basically meant the ping went up which is not good, generally i think adsl may be good as it not rate adapted or whatever

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Originally posted by Calman
    So RADSL=good, ADSL=bad?
    Not quite. ADSL from oreillycom is very conservatively configured, and set up for error recovery, rather than highest performance. It won't make any difference to most people, but some gamers seem to think that it makes a difference for them. (I'm not convinced, as it has nothing to do with the "ping" that some games themselves display, but I'm not a gamer, and I don't really know whether an extra 0.06 of a second really makes that much difference)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

People accustomed to RADSL pings will almost instantly notice Irish ADSL like pings. It’s quite ridiculous that Eircom have interleaving turned up so high, ADSL in the UK or practically anywhere else is not interleaved.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Emerson

I'd prefer to have a slightly higher ping than a connection that drops all the time due to dodgy eircom copper...

Advertisement