Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need a modem/router/Wifi device

• 12-02-2004 10:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭

Hi guys,

I'm connected to Esatbt broadband at the moment. For me to use a dsl gateway I will need to purchase a new adsl modem with rj45 connection together with a dsl router.

I have found this product on dabs but im wondering will it be compatible with irish broadband network ? link below

Paul.

http://www.dabs.com/uk/productview?quicklinx=2Z9M

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Originally posted by Paul.K
    Hi guys,

I'm connected to Esatbt broadband at the moment. For me to use a dsl gateway I will need to purchase a new adsl modem with rj45 connection together with a dsl router.

I have found this product on dabs but im wondering will it be compatible with irish broadband network ? link below

Paul.

http://www.dabs.com/uk/productview?quicklinx=2Z9M

Works fine am using it at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Linksys are a bit flakey...I work for their parent company and have heard bad reports.

I use a netgear DG824M, has the modem/gateway/firewall/router/WAP in one, it's very good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,227 ✭✭✭Kramer

Originally posted by eth0_
    I use a netgear DG824M, has the modem/gateway/firewall/router/WAP in one, it's very good.

& there's one for sale here.

Been flawless for me for the last 6 months :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭Superman

Yeah the linksys one is good, I got the wrt54g (basically same thing).
    Would defo recommend it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 604 ✭✭✭DemoniK

I like the Dlink DSL-G604T

it's here at elara
    for 127 euros with a wireless PCMCIA card - also have one with USB G NIC for 129 euros.

Works very well for me, easy to setup and has all the necessary bits including WPA encryption.

- RikD

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 604 ✭✭✭DemoniK

Just noticed the second half of your question, with regard to Irish Broadband compatability....

In my experience most modem/router all in ones, expect the WAN link to be the DSL and don't provide an easy means to route via the ethernet ports. This would mean integrating the IBB modem at a later point would be difficult.

If this is really a necessity I would go with seperate ADSL Modem with ethernet and a general broadband router like the Linksys wrt54g or dlink DI-624+. Then if you do move to IBB at a later date you can still use the router and dump the modem on someone else.

-RikD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Paul.K wrote:
    ESAT/IOL have been providing a dual ethernet/USB modem for almost a year now. Do you have one of the older USB only modems?

If you do, call them and tell them that it seems to be overheating, and can they replace it!

Advertisement