Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TCD quake (Long)

Options
  • 24-08-2000 9:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,
    need to pick your brains here. Thinking of trying (again) to get tcd to allow a multiplayer comp gaming soc. What other universities have them? (apart from UL)
    Anyone think of any good reasons for it? At the moment its basically that comp gaming is growing. 50 grand euro cpl this year. Multiple US comps worth more than 50K.
    Sky coverage of matchs soon? (heard that, it true?)
    Channel 4's unreal tourny show. Gaming growing. New type of sport <sic>. Ireland are 4 nations quake champions with two tcd players in the team. Now ireland in euro
    q3 finals. UL supporting irish team and letting them play from room there. Possibility of intervarsities.
    Maybe colours?
    They used to say to organise it under netsoc or gamers. (But wouldnt let us do anything. but times are a changing.) Putting us with netsoc is like putting tcd kayak club under the auspices of the rowing (jock) club. And theres less sense to having us in gamers (rpg geeks) soc than there is
    chess so how come chess can have their own soc?
    Btw neither netsoc nor gamers want us anyway smile.gif
    Gaming degrades network. Winquake servers spew forth multicast packets which switches dont stop. Hence let us run a qw server which doesnt broadcast (does it?) Does UT multicast if its a dedicated net server? . I'm presuming servers designed for the internet dont multicast. Can anyone confirm this? So its better for the network to encourage responsible gaming. Theres 25
    regular quake players in tcd and about 20 more occasional We often have 20 people playing at once. So there is demand
    but we cannt really say this to college as its banned.
    Anyone got any other arguments? Sonic what did you say to UL?
    thanks a lot guys for any help. sorry bout it not being readable. I tried to condense it.
    Quozl

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Sonic

nice one quozl. i had a to argue my point about quake being different to rpg's and card based games and ****ing chess for a whole day but i eventually got the point across. Also choose a name the differentiates you from the netsoc and especially the games soc, we chose fragnet eventually.

One problem we have as you will have is the fact that people are going to be playing in labs, at the moment we are getting away with the line "ya their only going to be playing from plassey, sure you need a gl card for that" but in your case it will be more difficult greg. As in the case of ut and quake3 and winquake etc, when they are run as lan servers they will muticast , if they are run as net server they dont ----> insert some technical comment here smile.gif

My suggestion is to get a society room if possible and to get it lanned internally and basically have a small permanent lan party going until you can turn the rusty cogs of the college. Btw when it comes to servers we are still running on a "if they dont know about bandwidth useage it wont hurt em". lets say i somehow pull some animal server outta my ass, i put a quake3 server q2 server quakeserver hl cs ut the whole ****ing lot on it , lets say you get 40 connects, thats 160k/s in bandwidth, now the line here can handle that no problem, the problem is universities lack internal bandwidth, ours is a 100mbit ring and even in the evnings thats jammers, so if i go to itd and say well ya theres a potential for x amount of bandwidth they will just stop it right there and then unless it is said in the right way, look greg good luck with setting this up and you can mail me with more questions if you want jonathan.deane@ul.ie

[This message has been edited by Sonic (edited 24-08-2000).]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 852 ✭✭✭m1ke

yeh set this up and I might just go to trinity biggrin.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Sonic

ul bai!

[This message has been edited by Sonic (edited 24-08-2000).]

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Sure we all know that UL are going to make Trinity bend over and take it, then slurp up the residue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 392 ✭✭Skyclad

Greg,

If you remember I had a look at doing this about 3 years ago, and came across a number of problems with the CSC amongst others.

AS a result all that could be done was to try and get netsoc and gamers to take qauek et al under their wing. Ive made efforts to have gamers modify their constitution in order to incorporate computer games into their manifesto, even leaving my computer in gamers room for a month or two after leprecon.

ANyway, Im not going to go into all the details of starting a soc in trinity but if you want we can get together and Ill give you a general run down on the whole thing, Ill can also I think put a bit of pressure on the CSC to recognise a soc for computer gaming.

Give me a ring or post here and Ill talk to you early next week

Dave

PS Im back in college this year, but in france doing erasmus frown.gif BUT, Ill have a t1 in my bedroom : smile.gif))

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭Dr_Teeth

Quozl - speaking as someone who was on the committee of the Compsci society for a couple of years and a few others (Comedy and Fortean iirc) and as someone who helped found the Netsoc, I've dealt with the CSC quite a bit. You will find it very very difficult to set-up such a society. The Gamers soc have that area of activity covered, and according to the CSC rules, that's pretty much that.

When we were founding the Netsoc, we had to fight hard to convince the CSC that Internet and Digital Communications in general were separate to Computers. The CSC originally rejected our application because there was already a Computer Science society which they reckoned covered the Internet also.

Add to this the fact that:

1. There's no way ISS will let you play games on the college LAN.

2. There's no way you will be able to afford to buy machines for your own private LAN.

3. There's no way you'll get a decent room for your society.

I'd recommend you get involved with both the Netsoc and Gamers, get on as a general officer and work with them to try and get some good computer gaming events going.

Good luck. wink.gif

Teeth.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

Here's hoping... I'm in thrinitie in Sept or whatever, so you can add another quaker to that 25 wink.gif

Put 'em in your mouth and suck 'em
    Clan Acid

• Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

I do know about all the difficulties there have been before. But if i try this year I might get lucky. And if not it'll maybne make things more likely the year after. Besides I can but try.
    quozl
    Dave whats your email addy these days?

[This message has been edited by quozl (edited 25-08-2000).]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 392 ✭✭Skyclad

Neither trinity games soc or netsoc have anything in their mandate regarding computer games.

If the soc would be set up it would be set up as a console and computer gaming soc, not a net games soc.

Dave

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

--crap idea first--
    go in under a different soc.
    grab funding from them. purchase graphic cards. exchange dodgy ati's for new shiny cards.
    --more intelligent answer--
    best bet is to put a society constitution together listing out legit c.gaming activities (netcafe lockins, lans like leprecon etc.) .. basically i cant see anyway where you can convince either tcd's CSD or the SU to form such a society purely for using their machines for games, its just not gonna happen.
    only way is to build up the societys credibility and get a few contacts first, then see where you stand.
    anyway imo there shouldnt be too much of a problem (judging by the amount of crap socs in trin) in establishing the society.
    if you can go talk to some of the younger members of trinitys CSD department.. they might have more ideas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Mr.StRiPe

Greg just bring John Joe out for dinner!!

Advertisement