Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Save data to DVD-R disc with CDRW drive?

• 12-02-2004 10:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭

Hi

I wanted to do a back-up of my PC to a (1) Disc, I thought that a DVD-r disc will be my best solution as they ae 4.7 GB, does anyone know if this can be done with a normal Creative CDRW Drive model RW8438E and Nero V5.5 or do I need a DVDRW drive to write to a DVD-R disc?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

DVD-r drives write to dvd-r's and cd-r's
    CD writers write to cd-r's and cdrw's.

DVD and CD and two completely different technologies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

Ok, i'm gonna pretend this was a joke, but i'll answer anyway.

You can't burn a CD-R/RW with a standard cd-rom drive, you need a CD-R/RW drive.

You can't burn a DVD-R(W) or a DVD+R(W) on a CD-RW drive, you need a DVD-R(W) or a DVD+R(W) drive, or a drive that burns both formats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

i think your confused about the notion that you can write dvd's onto CD/R's.
    heard of this being done but doesnt apply here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

Originally posted by nava
    Hi

I wanted to do a back-up of my PC to a (1) Disc, I thought that a DVD-r disc will be my best solution as they ae 4.7 GB, does anyone know if this can be done with a normal Creative CDRW Drive model RW8438E and Nero V5.5 or do I need a DVDRW drive to write to a DVD-R disc?

Thanks

ur taking the piss . i know u r .. the rest here think ur not but i know u r ... if ur not tho.... how big is the pc hdd ur backing up and did u try norton ghost

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 redemtion

Ni Nava

Try DVD Wizard Pro from http://www.media-outlet.com/copy-dvd.html, I have it and works like a dream.

There's other softwares out there that can do the same. Try Searching the web.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Spunog UIE

seriously lads give him a break... now about getting my dvds working in the ol vhs vidjo machine. Just keeps chewing them up, dunno whats wrong... Tracking?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Originally posted by elexes
    ur taking the piss . i know u r .. the rest here think ur not but i know u r ... if ur not tho.... how big is the pc hdd ur backing up and did u try norton ghost

Silly thing to take the piss over...believe it or not not everyone has lots of computer knowledge...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭nava

Hi All

Thanks for all your replies, as eth0_ said
    Silly thing to take the piss over...believe it or not not everyone has lots of computer knowledge...

I value more the feedback from here than from some shops, do a test tomorrow and try to ask the same question to a salesman in a PC shop, you will get all types of responses.

I will spend my money on a new DVD-RW drive. Again THANKS for you feedback

Nava

Advertisement