Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Really awful pings in Q3...

Options
  • 29-08-2000 1:00pm
    Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I've ISDN, and last night pumped up after playing mess games with the Irish team lads, I decided to try and fix my ping to vishnu (or indeed any q3 server....). No joy.

I'm playing on a PIII 450 with a tnt2 Ultra.
    Spoonman was on at the same time and seemed to enjoy a permanent 50ish ping. I was getting 80-90 at rest at best and most action saw me at the 150 mark spiking to 200+ often.

I've tried a load of things including turning compression off but to no avail.
    I get great pings to the CA server... so why not to the Q3 server when I see other people on the same tech setup getting great pings.

I havent played q3 online because of this and its really ****ing me off...

Rate is set to 4500-6000 no change...
    Anything else I should check?

DeVore.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭El_Presidente

Tom, talk to Eric about ISDN setup. He seems to have it all sussed out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 852 ✭✭✭m1ke

well on vishnu, when dialled through indigo, with a decent asuscom/eicon internal TA, rate 6200, snaps 40, cl_maxpackets 35 (you can even go higher on some of these settings).... you should really be getting a 30 ping or so on an empty server ... 40/50 max on a full server.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Thanks lads.

Mike I'll try those settings again and see what happens. Failing all that its delete-and-reinstall time.

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

I was playing on vishnu there with 25-35 ping on an eicon card (fluctuating), adjusted my config and I got 48 ping according to quake, but a rock solid connect. Here are my settings, change the maxfps and maxpackets as appropriate:

rate 5000
    cl_packetdup 0
    com_maxfps 69 (apparently one of the figures which gives higher jumps)
    cl_maxpackets 69
    cl_timenudge -20
    snaps 20

These gave 48 ping with no fluctuation
    (which is bullsh1t, this was like playing on a lan and also there'd have to be some fluctuation - shows that Q3 wasn't reporting ping properly)

Put 'em in your mouth and suck 'em
    Clan Acid

Advertisement