Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are your Options when Eircom say your Line is Not Good Enough?!

• 12-02-2004 11:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

Hi there,

I've searched through the vast amounts of posts here but cannot seem to find an answer. I live in Dublin 6 and while the area is obviously braodband enabled our actual line is seemingly too old and crappy for broadband (this is what eircom basically told me when I called).

What are my options?

1. Go ahead and order from IOL or UTV anyway and hope it works? I think this is quite unlikely considering the poor quality of our lines. My dial up connection is very slow as well (always about 24000bps). I have been waiting 6 weeks since ordering from Eircom but decided to cancel seeing as they just were not getting the job done.
    So is it worth my while trying another provider.

2. Wireless. I think I am able to get Irish Broadband (I would go on the Breeze Home Plus option as it seems to be the best/fastest). However, I have read a lot of negative things about this on here. Plus I am about at the limit of their range I believe, so reception is likely to not be the best.

Is there a simple solution to this which I am overlooking. I suppose I could keep harassing Eircom to come re-wire the house, but something tells me they might take their time (if they fail to send out a modem in a month and a half god only knows how long this could take).

I'd really appreciate any help.

Many Thanks is advance,
    Robert

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

depending on which part of dublin 6 you're in you might be able to get ntl, if your at the templeogue side you should be able to

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,463 ✭✭✭shinzon

1) no you wont be able order from UTV Esat or netsource, all are reselling eircoms RADSL package, all get there line test results from eircom anyway, so fail with eircom fail with all, although a few have said in bot here and irelandoffline that they were able to order from the others and get it even though they failed with eircom, also if your on one of ESATS enabled exchanges, you could see if your line would pass for the business package

2) Wireless is good if your happy with just Dlin stuff, pings for games are non existent and there could be constant interruptions due to weather conditions etc.

I agree with griffdaddy, if NTL are available to you in your area then go with them, best BB by far.

There is of course the old standby of ordering up a second line and hoping and praying it passes the DSL test, 50:50 chance there

hope that helps

Shin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

I'm confused. If Eircom told you your line is fooked, what did you order from them?

Go NTL if at all possible. Best product on the market.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 bandwithnoname

Thanks for the help.

Rang NTL today but they told me no. I live in Rathgar by the way. I will only really be using this for downloading/websites etc. so no need for something good for gaming.

Regarding Eircom, our line passes when put in on their website but i have a feeling that that is because the area is enabled. Seemingly our line itself after testing is not good enough.

It's looking like wireless. I only hope that its available here. There are a lot of tall trees around our house!

Any other advice would be much appreciated.

Robert

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Samba

) Wireless is good if your happy with just Dlin stuff, pings for games are non existent and there could be constant interruptions due to weather conditions etc.

Well, you are advising him on a business package, can I also do the same but with Wireless.

Since I rang up Ibb and I am on the line I initially ordered. I get no Spikes, no loss and no choke, with pings of 6 ms to Irish servers and on average twenty to the U.K.

I have experienced absoloutely nothing bad since I am on the 512k Soho Package for 75 a month (ex. vat).

Infact, from what I have seen of the other isp's, downtime, loss, login problems. I am over the bloody moon with this package, can't stress it enough.

The one problem is the price, take in to account the phone line and the dsl package and we ain't too far off. Take in to account the fact that you have no cap. I think it's worth the money.

1 <10 ms <10 ms <10 ms 3rock-vl-vlan-4.irishbroadband.ie [62.231.35.209

2 <10 ms <10 ms 16 ms rte-et-2-7.irishbroadband.ie [62.231.32.182]
    3 <10 ms 16 ms <10 ms ix-et-1-1.irishbroadband.ie [195.26.12.61]
    4 15 ms <10 ms <10 ms ibis-gw-fe-0-1-3-0.irishbroadband.ie [62.231.32.
    85]
    5 <10 ms <10 ms 16 ms fe-0-0-3.dub10.ip.tiscali.net [213.200.67.65]
    6 15 ms 16 ms 16 ms so-6-3-0.lon20.ip.tiscali.net [213.200.82.73]
    7 31 ms 32 ms 15 ms lon1-10.nildram.net [195.66.226.59]
    8 16 ms 15 ms 16 ms lon1-9.nildram.net [195.149.20.130]
    9 15 ms 16 ms 15 ms jolt-gw.nildram.net [195.149.20.126]
    10 31 ms 16 ms 16 ms clarity.jolt.co.uk [195.149.21.11]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,463 ✭✭✭shinzon

Originally posted by bandwithnoname
    Thanks for the help.

Rang NTL today but they told me no. I live in Rathgar by the way. I will only really be using this for downloading/websites etc. so no need for something good for gaming.

Regarding Eircom, our line passes when put in on their website but i have a feeling that that is because the area is enabled. Seemingly our line itself after testing is not good enough.

It's looking like wireless. I only hope that its available here. There are a lot of tall trees around our house!

Any other advice would be much appreciated.

Robert

surely if you put you number into the pre-qual database on there site and it passes youve gotten past the first bit , I cant understand why eircom are now telling you its failing

strange that

Shin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭BKtje

Very nice pings there Samba but you really are the exception to the rule.
    I know some people who are on it and their ping can be as low as mine but more often than not its all over the place.

If you desperately want broadband and decide not to go with ibb you could try Esat Business i suppose if they are in your area. Expensive but great pings and no cap and low contention.

esat business is not available in the area. Irish Broadband say it will take around 5 weeks to get around to installing. They say that they will wait till then to see if the reception is good enough as well. Seems like pretty poor service if you ask me, but it may be all that's available to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Samba

Very nice pings there Samba but you really are the exception to the rule.

Not entirely, I have encountered a few peeps on cs servers using VL, are you refering to home users with vl?

The people i have encountered have an identicle connection speed/ms to mine.

One thing i do have is an ultra clear los, the only interference I get is from Swallows :)

Twould possibly be an idea to make a sticky on this subject(seems to come up so often about ibb) with users recording their location, mast, connection type and general results. Who knows a pattern could even emerge, just a thought.

One final thing,

Will I be able to split an installastion from IBB to work on two computers?
    Does anyone know what kind of modem they supply you with (Ethernet/USB?)

Thanks
    Robert

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Originally posted by bandwithnoname
    Will I be able to split an installastion from IBB to work on two computers?
    Does anyone know what kind of modem they supply you with (Ethernet/USB?)
    Breeze equipment is connected by ethernet, so you can plug any "broadband router" in to it to share the connection. Ripwave "modems" come in either ethernet or USB flavours - you tell them which one you want at installation. If you get the ethernet version, then any €50 broadband router will work with it, allowing you to share the connection.

Advertisement