Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Full Licence Crap

Options
  • 12-02-2004 11:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭

So, I finally got to the tax office to get my full licence. Hand in all the forms fee etc, and provisional which they keep.

Ask them do you keep it, what about the whole must have licence with you at all times... *shrug of shoulders* it will be posted today and you should have it tomorrow.

So let it go as I'm only like 7miles away from the tax office, and wasn't travelling anywhere today.

So presuming they actually posted when they said I should of had it one day later at the latest, not the case. So probally get it tomorrow. 3 days to post something smaller than your average letter less than 7 miles. Losers.

Anyway, is it not crazy they take your provisional?

I just waiting for the one bastard cop who feels like bustin balls, even tho I've never in my life been asked for my licence, I'm pretty sure that now that I don't have it I'm gonna be asked, especially as I'm doing my usual 70mile drive tomorrow.

What ya think?

Gid.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Afaik, the receipt is good enough still. If you've no receipt, I'm sure any Garda will be good enough to allow you present it as soon as you receive it.

Remember, if it went to court, you can bring dated documents that will back up your story, so they probably let it go.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭TommyK

I think they're required to keep your Provisional because you can't hold both a Full and a Provisional licence for the same category (or something like that). You should be glad to be rid of it anyway! :)

3 days to get 7 miles? - sounds like you should be bitching about An Post instead. I don't think the people in the tax office control the postal system.

Anyway, I would'nt worry too much about it - Seamus is right. If you're stopped just tell the Garda your licence is in the tax office to be changed to a Full. He *will* tell you to bring it to your local Garda Station as soon as you get it. Anyone who tells you otherwise is talking b*llox (or just trying to wind you up).

Tommy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Spunog UIE

haha yup i knew all that but, you do get the odd 'ball bustin' cop on a bad day. Got it anyway yesterday, so say an post took 2 days and tax 1 day. sheessh, ahwell good for 10yrs now :D and what a photo.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Yep, this happened to me in the time between me applying for the licence and actually receiving it. Mine took 10 days to come.

The Guards had a checkpoint, asked for my licence, said I just passed my test and I had to hand in my provisional with the application, showed him the receipt and she said that that was fine.

Also, the clerk in the tax office said that the receipt is proof and carry it as if it was my licence until I get it.

ye, never got a receipt, it was mental in there, they had like 3 people doing tax *and no one there for tax* and one person there for licences and like about 30 people, and 40mins till they were closed so they were flying through people. The guy that served me, was just thrown in towards the end to get through people i think. Anyway... all sorted now.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Gideon
    ye, never got a receipt, it was mental in there, they had like 3 people doing tax *and no one there for tax* and one person there for licences and like about 30 people, and 40mins till they were closed so they were flying through people. The guy that served me, was just thrown in towards the end to get through people i think. Anyway... all sorted now.

In my local Tax Office, all the cahiers do everything - tax, licences, change of ownerships, duplicate documents, etc.

You *don't* have to go to a different person for each one . Having one person for tax and one for licences, etc. is just stupid.

Does that mean you have to queue up in two different queues if you went in with a tax and a licence?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

Originally posted by TommyK
    Anyway, I would'nt worry too much about it - Seamus is right. If you're stopped just tell the Garda your licence is in the tax office to be changed to a Full. He *will* tell you to bring it to your local Garda Station as soon as you get it. Anyone who tells you otherwise is talking b*llox (or just trying to wind you up).

My sister had her car stolen a few months ago, and her drivers licence in it. she went into the garda station to report it and asked about getting a new licence issued, the garda behind the desk told her that if she drove away from the station herself he could charge her!!!!!!!

I actually do respect the gardai, but man there are some idiots in there

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

Originally posted by Gideon
    So, I finally got to the tax office to get my full licence. Hand in all the forms fee etc, and provisional which they keep.

Ask them do you keep it, what about the whole must have licence with you at all times... *shrug of shoulders* it will be posted today and you should have it tomorrow.

So let it go as I'm only like 7miles away from the tax office, and wasn't travelling anywhere today.

So presuming they actually posted when they said I should of had it one day later at the latest, not the case. So probally get it tomorrow. 3 days to post something smaller than your average letter less than 7 miles. Losers.

Anyway, is it not crazy they take your provisional?

I just waiting for the one bastard cop who feels like bustin balls, even tho I've never in my life been asked for my licence, I'm pretty sure that now that I don't have it I'm gonna be asked, especially as I'm doing my usual 70mile drive tomorrow.

What ya think?

Gid.

No cop can do anything - you have 21 days to produce a licence

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

Originally posted by egan007
    - you have 21 days to produce a licence

Its 10 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭eden_my_ass

Just thought I'd throw in my two cents....

I got my full license on the spot after handing in the provisional. That was only a few months ago in Cork. Is this posting it out a new(stupid) idea or does it depend on the specific office. ??

• Advertisement

posting seems pretty standard in mine anyway.

I thought they changed the time you were given for handing in the licence, and that you had to have it for driving. Or has that not come in yet? I was fairly sure it had.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by Chief---
    Its 10 days.
    It's zero days since the passing of the Road Traffic (Amendment) Act 1994 IIRC - the one Brennan said would be enforced.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

What i meant to say is after you get your fixed penalty notice you are given 10 days to produce. If you dont within 10 days a summons will be issued.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

LOL :D Yeah, about a year later IF they get around to it...

don't credit the cops with too much energy/drive/motivation/intelligence.

Originally posted by eden_my_ass
    Just thought I'd throw in my two cents....

I got my full license on the spot after handing in the provisional. That was only a few months ago in Cork. Is this posting it out a new(stupid) idea or does it depend on the specific office. ??

For a first provisional, its done to verify your address.

For subsequent licences, its probably done as a time saving measure. I'm sure its quicker to make them up in the back office than to let queues build while each person is waiting for their licence to be made up.

So I guess if you want your licence there and then, go to the Tax Office at the quieter times (My local on is usually *empty* for the middle 2 weeks in the month) and ask nicely. Make up some spiel about needing it for insurance or having to produce it to the Gardai or something like that.

Tommy.

Advertisement