Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Forgot my password for XP account

Options
  • 13-02-2004 12:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭

this is now sorted so can a mod please move/delete this, thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Owenw

Good news is there's a chance you can get back into Windows.

Bad news is that if this "back door" isn't there, you're up the creek...

OK switch on the PC and hold down the F8 key immediately after you hear the beep.

1. This should bring up the Windows Advanced Options Menu

2. Choose Safe mode using the Up Arrow key on the keyboard and hit Enter

3. Hit enter again when the Microasoft Windows XP Home / Professional screen appears.

4. Let the machine boot. You should see the startup files displayed on the screen.

5. The login screen appears with your locked out user login and the Administrator login.

6. Select Administrator and press enter. Hold your breath! :eek:

Hopefully there is no password for this and you can get into Windows
    (or you know the Admin password if there is one!)

7. If you get in go into the control panel User settings and delete the password on your user account.

If you can't get in you will have to format the drive and re-install WinXP.
    If you try to hack the security settings you will most likely damage the WinXP install and it will need to be reloaded anyway.

hth,
    OwenW

EDIT: Ah you sorted it while I was merrily typing away! This post can be deleted too mods - though it's a good tip for XP users (and shows how easy it is to get into most XP PC's - windows sys / net admins should be aware of this)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭suppafly

thanks for the speedy response. what happened is i must have had caps lock on while i was typing it and i didn't even think of trying that till a got reminded by something a m8 said. so thanks anyway :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Owenw

no problemo :)

Advertisement