Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rant about Irish fans of english soccer.

• 12-02-2004 1:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭

So not one single mention about Derry City, Sligo Rovers, St Pat's, Cork City etc As this is an Irish site, the title of this board should be "English Soccer".

No wonder the FAI is such a mess, and can't even provide themselves with a proper ground. No way would I let them into Croke Park. All these "Irish Soccer Fans" would feel a lot more at home in English grounds anyways. Besides, how may Irishmen actually play on the Irish International team ???

The whole Irish Soccer setup is a mess. Should just merge with the other FA's on the next island and form one British International team that would have a real home and a chance of winning something.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭SheroN

*yawn*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭pdh

Keep "Yawning" just like the FAI. It's very productive, just look what they have got, ha, ha, ha,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

if you want to talk about it, start a thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Originally posted by pdh
    Besides, how may Irishmen actually play on the Irish International team ???
    I'll make a team of Irish born players:

Given

Carr
    Cunningham
    Dunne
    O'Shea

Miller
    A.Reid
    Kavanagh
    Duff

Keane
    Lee

Subs: Murphy, Finnan, O'Brien, Harte, Healy. I'd also class players with 2 Irish parents as Irish.

I agree with you that there isn't enough supporters for the Eircom League but it is not like you can just pick a team and get addicted. IMO It is a Sh!t league and not something I'd like to watch every week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭Nike_Dude

I agree with you that there isn't enough supporters for the Eircom League but it is not like you can just pick a team and get addicted. IMO It is a Sh!t league and not something I'd like to watch every week.
    Amen to that! The english league gets much more exposure, the standard is much better and as kids it was all anybody talked about so naturally we were going to support english teams

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Originally posted by Nike_Dude
    as kids it was all anybody talked about so naturally we were going to support english teams

Good point. I see evidence form my teenage son and his friends friends that some of them are just as much into Bohs and shels as I was to Utd when I was a kid, so maybe progress is being made on this front. Who knows maybe future generations there will be a decent leagus for people to support

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,761 ✭✭✭Xterminator

I wonder if PDH, our eircom league champion, has noticed the Irish season has not yet started?

No wonder there are few threads on the subject!!

X

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭spudulike

I agree that English soccer is obviously a higher standard and a much more attractive prospect to watch. However i cannot understand how people in Ireland get so passionate about english team - particularly Liverpool/Utd fans - they are all over the place. How can these people get soo passionate about a foreign team. I must admit that i have an interest in English football from a entertainment perspective but ultimately the results aren't the be all and end all to me.

All I can say is thanks God the National league has started again - tremendous sportsmen playing our national games.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭smiaras

This post has been deleted.

I'll tell you why - soccer in england is a grass roots thing, in the same way GAA is a grass roots thing here. You wouldn't see someone from West Tipperary supporting Limerick Hurling, and the same for Cork & Kerry football etc etc... This is the exact same in the city of liverpool - which is split between areas who support Liverpool and Everton etc. I find it laughable that people not only from another town but from another country actually feel passionate about a club hundreds of miles away....

• Advertisement

I have no problem with people having an interest in any sport - eg. Americans following the progress of the All-Ireland series or Irish people following the progress of English football, of Italian football etc. but I don't think an American could have the same possion/Interest in a specific game or team that a person from that specific county - unless your talking about the New York team.

I take a keen, objective interest in English football as it's the league which gets by far the most coverage here but at the same time i don't live a die by a specific team and i truely don't think I could ever be passionate about a team who I had no logical/geographical/cultural connection to...

fair point i suppose - although it's something i don't get I do concede that other people do get it....

Are you a liverpool fan by any chance?????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 921 ✭✭✭Shaque attack

I find it laughable that people not only from another town but from another country actually feel passionate about a club hundreds of miles away....

i can only speak from my only experiences so...

1. i have relations in Liverpool
    2. there is real passion at a Liverpool match in anfield (well there used to be ;) )
    3. there is a real history behind football the footall in england and Liverpool in particular.
    4. they play real football in england. watching irish teams play soccer is like watching americans playin hurling.

Please do not post again on this forum until you have altered your sig. If you do, you will be banned until it is changed.

Thanx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Im a Liverpool fan and have been all my life and will remain so. My reason for being a Liverpool fan? Simple really my Father has been a Liverpool fan for the last decades and naturally I followed the team my Father supported. Him being a German I spose he should only follow Fortuna Koln! His reason for following Liverpool are from the love he developed of the cl;ub and of the fans after seeing them play Gladbach back in the seventies. Like most people here on this forum a lot do go and watch the eircom league etc (other local irish grassroots etc) Just as one isnt in the same country as a team shouldnt mean they get any less passionate about something they have being following for the last 22 odd years.

Also to another point I think a lot of the support the english leagues get here more so man utd and Liverpool is the sheer number of Irish peoiple who lived and worked in these areas for a long long time before moving back here.

I said this in another thread on this subject a few months ago. I would love to start supporting an Irish team (but I wouldn't be going to their matches just yet) but who do I support? If I lived in Dundalk their is no doubt I would support Dundalk, if I livied in Derry I would support Derry but I live in Dublin. I have no "local" team to support as all the Dublin teams are local.

I don't have too much interest in the GAA but when Dublin are playing I would definitely watch it and get very passionate about it.

I am living beside Merrion Square, Dublin 2, tell me my local team and I will manage them in CM, get used to the players and start taking an interest in them. And I am serious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭Nike_Dude

I've no real ties to the english team I support, Newcastle. I suppose the only thing was that when I was growing up it was the peak of Keegan and his Gung-Ho tactics and this probably drew my attention to them.
    Im from westmeath and like eirebhoy there are no League teams anywhere close to where I live so I have to the next best thing apart from watching it live and in person and that is to watch the Premiership on tv.
    I see evidence form my teenage son and his friends friends that some of them are just as much into Bohs and shels as I was to Utd when I was a kid
    Hopefully this continues it would certainly improve the quality of the Eircom league and ultimately the quality of the national team:)

Please do not post again on this forum until you have altered your sig.

What does this mean???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

I think it means ot alter/ammend the contents of your signature whatever that was/is. *shrugs*

don't have a signature so doesn't make sense to me but thanks anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

Originally posted by spudulike
    don't have a signature so doesn't make sense to me but thanks anyway.

i suspect it was an additoiin to the post by thanx4the fish, aimed at the poster, one shaque attack or other.

not aimed at any one else.

although, to keep on topic, why should someone follow a football team that is local over one that is not local?

no one has actually given me a good reason why a person shouldnt have the freedom of choice to choose the team they wish to support.

i totally agree with the freedom of choice thing. I do have a keen interest in Football - whether English, or other European leagues. I can appreciate good games, good skill etc.

However I grew up in the midlands and played and supported Gaelic Games in my area and county. I could go to club games when they were on. I could see my county playing in the county grounds, i knew players from my locality on the teams etc etc. As a result i feel much more loyalty to a club or county that i can truly say that i am part of that i ever could for a club that I didn't grow up close to. I think childhood has alot to do with it though.... and the fact that Gaelic games kicks the a*s of football - but that's a different discussion....

I suppose i feel closer to club and county that i ever could to a footbal club from a different country...

I suppose i feel closer to club and county that i ever could to a footbal club from a different country...

familiarity breeds contempt :)

familiarity breeds contempt

Very true - my team hasn't won anything in quite some time...

Very true - my team hasn't won anything in quite some time...

neither has mine :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭AmenToThat

Originally posted by smiaras
    People always get passionate about things they have no logical/geographical/cultural connection to

Supporting an english football team now serves in a cultural capacity in Ireland. It forms its roots from displaying our competitive nature in a sociological context. In terms of cultural and geographical connections fans use these arguments to form ties with clubs such as Celtic, but some also use them as reasons to support foreign clubs due to the Irish players in employment there.

Do people on here not find it a little uncomfortable supporting English teams and indeed spending money on those clubs through merchandise etc when you consider how racist the english game is?

I would have thought the report that came out this week into racism in English football would have alot of people here thinking again about their commitments to those club?

Less than 1% percent of season ticket holders at Premiership clubs are from afro caribean or asian backrounds, surely reason enough to start pondering why you support such institutionaly racist organisations?

• Advertisement

Originally posted by AmenToThat
    Less than 1% percent of season ticket holders at Premiership clubs are from afro caribean or asian backrounds, surely reason enough to start pondering why you support such institutionaly racist organisations?
    Becuase less than 1% of season ticket holders are coloured means the organisation is racist? How did you work that out?

Do people on here not find it a little uncomfortable supporting English teams and indeed spending money on those clubs through merchandise etc when you consider how racist the english game is?

I would have thought the report that came out this week into racism in English football would have alot of people here thinking again about their commitments to those club?

i used to go and watch shamrock rovers when they were in milltown and then when they moved to the rds.
    i used to hear people like you comment on the english game, who wondered how could anyone support english clubs when we have teams like rover to follow.

then someone would start up a rousing rendition of 'go on home british soldiers. go on home' or the fields of athenry, or some such song.

are you going to tell me thats not racist?

in fact, isnt someone telling me not to support and english team becasue of its locallity, racisit in itself if youwant to get down to brass tacks?

yoiu know what, i never saw a black person at a shamrock rovers match. never saw any black players either. or an asian, or an afro carribean.

does this mean all irish clubs are racisit?
    and surely those that follow those clubs are also racist?

come on.
    tell the truth.
    people dont like it when irish people support an english cliub becasue they feel threatened over the whole english thing.
    because they have no problem with scotish clubs. especially celtic.
    so it really is just english clubs isnt it.
    its becasue really, a lot of irish people are petty, racisit little bigots isnt it.
    go on. tell the truth.
    you will feel better for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

i think the whole anti english thing is ridiculous and its not just the "dont support english teams " people cos I know people who follow english teams week in week out and cheer the english players, but when england are playing they r wishing the same players to lose. This all became very evident during the rugby world cup when the anti english feeling was rife. The was a large amount of irish supporting australia that day for no other reason than they were playing england. That should have been a good day for us as its probably the closest we'll come to winning it for a while, anyway back on to the topic (i dont even follow rugby anyway) . Maybe the reason only 1% of season ticket holders are black/ asian or otherwise non english originated. but maybe 99% of the people who apply for the tickets r white? Maybe all the non white people have better things to do with there money than spending it on beer and football every weekend.

At the end of the day theres a rascist element in every situationbut generally you only hear about the majority being rascist towards the minority, my guess its a matter of numbers. For the most part minorities tend to try not cause trouble when they're surrounded. ie i dont see many people on the streets go up and start a fight with a group of 10-15 blokes cos that wud b just stupid.

forgive me for a few over simplifications, just trying 2 get the point across

oh yeah, and to address the original issue, i support english football costs its the closest decent league. Maybe if/wen we get a (fully) professional league over here my view may change. And bth I have been to leauge of Ireland games in the past, my dad used 2 play in it so i used to go every week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

eirebhoy
    The closest teams to you are shels in drumcondra and bohs in phibsbourgh
    bohs have the advantage of not being owned by the devil. Aternativly you coucd come suport the saints in incicore or follow rovers wherever place theve blaged themselves in this season.
    Firstly I am an Eircom league fan and I to am dismayed sometimes by the lack of support the eircom league gets. Up until 5 or six years ogo i was a merchindise united fan and i am also an admirer of AC Milan altough i cant see them regularly now their no more italian footy on c4.
    The reason i stoped suporting man utd was the more I got in to pats( ive been a fan for 9 or 10 years) the less some team form manchester seamed to matter. Standing on a crappy terrace in the rain in the middle of november only to see your team get a last minute winner beats anything ive ever felt siting in an armchair watchin a forien club.
    The sence of Camaraderie among EL fans is great there is little or no segreagation at games there doesnt need to be. The only team to cause trouble are rovers and to a lesser extent dundalk but this is limited to a small number of muppets and rarely causes too much trouble.
    One of the other good things about EL football is youre watching real people who earn modest wages a lot have other jobs and they play for the love of the game their not some celebrity pre madona who earn more from endorsments than football.
    I can see people point about not having a team close to them as many counties have no team and there is too many teams from the pale.
    I dont support pats out of a hatred for england just because their my local team if I was from crewe I would support them.Its not an anti engligh thing I have just as much a dislike for peole who only follow another league like scotland dont get me started on celtic.
    yes WhiteWashMan a scary amount on Irish people are petty, racisit little bigots I dont think EL fans have a higer percentage of these if anything the opisite is true.
    I have no problem with people watching forien teams but youre local team asuming you have one should be youre first choice. I like milan but if they were drawn against pats Id hope pats trashed them. As for the whole IRA thing at matchs it pisses me off big time but its far less prevelant then when I started going.
    Sorry about the size of the post and the dodgy spelling
    Wow i managed to get through an eintre post on Irish football without slaging of celtic fans(Doh).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Originally posted by DerekD Goldfish

One of the other good things about EL football is youre watching real people who earn modest wages a lot have other jobs and they play for the love of the game their not some celebrity pre madona who earn more from endorsments than football.

Fair enuf, your watching semi-pros. But anyone who plays football at any level under professional are playing it fo rthe love of the game, but only because they r not good enough to become professional. Any player in that league would drop everything if a top english side offered them a contract and its a bit of a generalisation to imply that professional playyers are pre madonis. The fact of the matter is that they , as with all the rest of us will try to earn as much money as possible during our careers and in real terms you shud divide the money they earn by about 5 cos on average yours or my career will be roughly 50-60 yrs whereas theirs will be 10-15 ( i do realise it still a huge amount) . Plus the majoity of professional coming from relativly working class backrounds, money does change people to a certain degree. You cant say that if sumone handed you €50,000 a week for 10 years that you would be exactly the same and wouldnt go round spending and looking a bit flash.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭AmenToThat

Originally posted by WhiteWashMan
    i used to go and watch shamrock rovers when they were in milltown and then when they moved to the rds.
    i used to hear people like you comment on the english game, who wondered how could anyone support english clubs when we have teams like rover to follow.

then someone would start up a rousing rendition of 'go on home british soldiers. go on home' or the fields of athenry, or some such song.

are you going to tell me thats not racist?

in fact, isnt someone telling me not to support and english team becasue of its locallity, racisit in itself if youwant to get down to brass tacks?

yoiu know what, i never saw a black person at a shamrock rovers match. never saw any black players either. or an asian, or an afro carribean.

does this mean all irish clubs are racisit?
    and surely those that follow those clubs are also racist?

come on.
    tell the truth.
    people dont like it when irish people support an english cliub becasue they feel threatened over the whole english thing.
    because they have no problem with scotish clubs. especially celtic.
    so it really is just english clubs isnt it.
    its becasue really, a lot of irish people are petty, racisit little bigots isnt it.
    go on. tell the truth.
    you will feel better for it.

I felt saddended reading this post!
    Indeed I must say Im very disturbed by alot of the responses here.

Personally I watch a fair amount of English football beacuse the standard is generally good and alot of Irish international players are involved although I support no team in particular.
    I made no attempt in my message to try and make out that any other league is more or less racist/secterian than the English Premiership but was simply pointing out some observations about that particular league as that is the topic of this thread!

What is the response to my post?
    Sure everyone else is as bad and its not racism its because of............

If you go onto any English football web site these tend to be standard answers when racism is mentioned

Seems most of the people who visit this web site and English football are well suited.
    :(

Originally posted by DerekD Goldfish
    eirebhoy
    The closest teams to you are shels in drumcondra and bohs in phibsbourgh
    bohs have the advantage of not being owned by the devil.
    I have decided to start supporting Pats. I have heard a lot of bad stories about Rovers fans so they were out of the question. Shels and Bohs came first and second respectively in the league so I decided to go for the challenge and support Pats. When I start a game of CM I would always manage a mediocre premiership team or a lower league team as I like the challenge and that is the way it will always be. :)

I'm actually excited about this, I've been on there site (stpatsfc.com) but the players page is down so I can't read about them. There is some African player that plays up front for them on CM and he always scores, is he any good?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

If you go onto any English football web site these tend to be standard answers when racism is mentioned

Seems most of the people who visit this web site and English football are well suited.

OK a couple of issues here. You came on spouting about racism in English football providing no proof or links about it.

Secondally what did you expect people not to point out that there are problems with racists and football all the way across Europe. Infact Whitewashmans post was totally relevant to this thread as its about Irish People supporting English clubs over Irish ones. He was demonstrating that racism exists in Ireland as well.

To the best of my knowledge there are many project tackling racism in English clubs I know Leeds United has a good program (ok maybe not for much longer ;)).

As for your last comment you better explain it fully, properly and clearly? I expect this explaination posted in the next 48 hours.

Gandalf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

support whoever ye want abroad, just give your local team a bit of support the odd time.

i'm a huge liverpool fan, but i regularily attend shels games, just for the atmosphere and a bit a craic with the lads!

its not all that bad! how many of you would go to more than 5 eircom league games a year? the big ones involving shels v pats, rovers, derry, bohs, cork are always crackers!

B]

i dont believe i mentioned anywhere that racism is acceptable in any form.
    although come to think of it, i tend to get quite a bit of sectarian abuse from irish celtic supports as im a rangers support. is there a difference. as gandalf stated, i was pointing out that there exists a large amount of racism in irish football, and shouldnt you start worrying about that before you worry about english football. or is it just because people prefer to watch english football?
    I felt saddended reading this post!
    Indeed I must say Im very disturbed by alot of the responses here.

is it because they dont conform to your view?

i am saddened by your response. you appeared to have missed all the points made by various people to validate their reasons for liking english football. or if you havent missed them, you have ignored them.

i know you are trying to say something here, but you know, its better if you say something, because then your words cant be misconstrued. please, feel free to finish this statement so we can understand what you mean.

what do you want? public hangings?

i take this is an insult of some kind?
    please, id like to hear more from you. i like your style of argument. throw out random staements and wait for some responses. oh, reminds me of me in my younger days. of course, now i think its just silly, but i have grown up :)
    still, i am intrigued at why you would say that. perhaps you can explain that one as well?
    seems to me that there are some people who just dont like people supporting english football teams because they are, er, english.

god, i know i had a point with this post. i must have lost it beside yours!

• Advertisement

Very dissapointed with the contributions so far to this thread. Nobody has anything postive to say about the development of an Irish Soccer league. Everybody seems to be happy enough for money and players to be exported out of the country, then these same people wonder how come the FAI don't have a decent Stadium.

At this stage I have not changed my view. It would be better for all if the FAI just dissolved and merge with the English FA, this would reflect the true interests of Soccer fans living in Ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Originally posted by pdh
    Very dissapointed with the contributions so far to this thread. Nobody has anything postive to say about the development of an Irish Soccer league. Everybody seems to be happy enough for money and players to be exported out of the country, then these same people wonder how come the FAI don't have a decent Stadium.

At this stage I have not changed my view. It would be better for all if the FAI just dissolved and merge with the English FA, this would reflect the true interests of Soccer fans living in Ireland

I think your being a little close minded pdh, we would all love to see Irelands top players playing in Ireland, but the Irish league is amateur, and the top players want to be professional.

The FAI is lacking in finance but its main problems over the last few years have been its top level being full of incompentent amateur fools. The stadium issue is seperate and is a lot more complicated.

I made the point before that the Irish soccer league should have been County based like the GAA at least that way everyone would have an interest, I mean I live in Carlow wheres theres no League of Ireland side. If carlow had a soccer team I would support them.

Originally posted by pdh
    Very dissapointed with the contributions so far to this thread. Nobody has anything postive to say about the development of an Irish Soccer league.
    That is not the subject of this topic so why would you expect us to talk about it?

BTW - I am a bit confused with the following statement:
    The whole Irish Soccer setup is a mess.
    you said this in your first post.

To IRISH1, have you ever heard of Kilkenny City or Waterford Utd or maybe even Kildare County ? ? ? Also I don't understand how you can think the issue of a National Soccer Stadium and the Development of Irish soccer is seperate. To follow your thought process logically, all FAI international matches should be played in Cardiff untill Wembley is finished !!! Oh forgot about Windsor Park, does anybody have any objections.......

To EIREBOY, the National League is not amateur. Also your comment about the subject matter, how come I can't discuss Irish Soccer on a board titled Soccer on a site called boards.IE Maybe, thank God we have reunited with the Six Counties and gone back into the UK ! ! !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭SheroN

who says you can't discuss it here?...isn't that exactly what you're doing here?....
    :dunno:

Originally posted by pdh
    To IRISH1, have you ever heard of Kilkenny City or Waterford Utd or maybe even Kildare County ? ? ? Also I don't understand how you can think the issue of a National Soccer Stadium and the Development of Irish soccer is seperate. To follow your thought process logically, all FAI international matches should be played in Cardiff untill Wembley is finished !!! Oh forgot about Windsor Park, does anybody have any objections.......

To EIREBOY, the National League is not amateur. Also your comment about the subject matter, how come I can't discuss Irish Soccer on a board titled Soccer on a site called boards.IE Maybe, thank God we have reunited with the Six Counties and gone back into the UK ! ! !

Firstly I was the one who said it was amateur, which I undersatnd it to be, not every player is professional are they, only certain teams?

Yes I have heard of those teams but I have no interest in supporting them.

Oh and I never said Development of Irish soccer is seperate so don't try and put words in mouth, I said the Stadium issue is sepearte, which it is Eircom would have been built but for the Government.

And I don't know what thoughts you were following but they weren't mind, the only place to play Irish matches while LANSDOWNE is been rebuilt is Croke Park.

As I said PDH your opinions are very close minded and ignorant.

Your very sensitive there.........

You make my point, you have no interest in Irish Soccer at local level yet expect this country to support an international team....

As for Croke Park, would not have soccer in the place, that stadium is for Irish homegrown sports played by and watched by Irish people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,894 ✭✭✭SteM

Originally posted by eirebhoy
    I have decided to start supporting Pats. I have heard a lot of bad stories about Rovers fans so they were out of the question. Shels and Bohs came first and second respectively in the league so I decided to go for the challenge and support Pats. When I start a game of CM I would always manage a mediocre premiership team or a lower league team as I like the challenge and that is the way it will always be. :)

I'm actually excited about this, I've been on there site (stpatsfc.com) but the players page is down so I can't read about them. There is some African player that plays up front for them on CM and he always scores, is he any good?

You should try and get yourself up to Tolka Park to see Shels, Eirebhoy. They're really trying to get a singing area going and the atmosphere improved 100% last season because of it.

I was at the Manchester derby at the on Saturday and though it was great to see United win (I've been a United fan since I was a kid) I enjoyed seeing Shels beat Bohs at Dalymount towards the end of last season more. It just seemed that the fans were more involved there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Emboss

Originally posted by pdh

what difference does it make to you ?

I watch spanish football italian german and english

why? because i'm a football fan and i want to watch it being played at the highest level

Show me a team in ireland who can do it i'll watch them point me to a ground i'll go to it

My father spends alot his time training young kids in ireland and i put in a fair bit myself, what have you done to change things? what pro active positive steps are you taken? besides ranting crap talk on this forum?

Originally posted by pdh
    Your very sensitive there.........

You make my point, you have no interest in Irish Soccer at local level yet expect this country to support an international team....

As for Croke Park, would not have soccer in the place, that stadium is for Irish homegrown sports played by and watched by Irish people.

Have a look at a map, Kildare Kilkenny nor Waterford are local to me.

Oh so you'd rather Ireland played their home games in Wales??

Oh and just to point it out I help manage an under 12 side and my father is Chairman of the biggest club in Carlow and also helps out with the county teams, oh and my brothers are part of the fai's school of excellence for ref's so I think we'r doing our bit for Irish soccer

• Advertisement
Advertisement