Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slow startup using IOLBB 623R modem

• 13-02-2004 5:58am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭

Basically i purchased the Zyxel 623R-T1 ADSL modem/router from EsatBT, i am connected using the USB...filled in everything as per the instructions included, used the web configurator etc.

My issue, and many others upon reading forums at www.abxzone.com, is that after booting up or restarting my desktop icons go missing and menus freeze up.

This is a result of the modem and the PC communicating with each other and assigning an IP address. The time to obtain an IP is unaccptable and slows everything down and i lose icons on the taskbar.

I turn the modem off and everything boots fine...i have tried to assign a static IP address following the instructions in the booklet...but when i do this i have no net access at all.

Has anyone encountered this problem and a method of overcoming it?....do i have to manually set a static IP with the web configurator of the Zyxel modem?

Or do i set a static IP and turn off DCHP client from running in Windows XP Pro SP1?
    All i want is a resolution to fix this intolerbale lag in background communication between the modem and PC.

Funny thing is, it's intermitent...some restarts/boots are perfect and other times it's 40 sec - 1 minute for normal operations, incl. missing icons.

Any help is much appreciated.

http://www.abxzone.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=65648&perpage=15&pagenumber=1

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Jesus...is there not a soul among you who has encountered this problem or advice toward a resolution?

:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

Sounds to me like a USB drivers problem. If it's a router then I'm guessing it has an ethernet connection. I'd suggest you get an ethernet card for about €15. It's an awful lot more reliable than USB because it doesn't use any software running on the PC, everthing is handled by the router hardware. If you're desktop icons are still disappearing after that then it's got nothing to do with the router.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Originally posted by MrPinK
    Sounds to me like a USB drivers problem. If it's a router then I'm guessing it has an ethernet connection.
    It's a dual Ethernet/USB device: http://www.zyxel.com/product/model.php?indexcate=1030617987&indexcate1=1021877946&indexFlagvalue=1021873638
    I'd suggest you get an ethernet card for about €15. It's an awful lot more reliable than USB because it doesn't use any software running on the PC, everthing is handled by the router hardware.
    I'll second that suggestion.

Originally posted by MrPinK
    Sounds to me like a USB drivers problem. If it's a router then I'm guessing it has an ethernet connection. I'd suggest you get an ethernet card for about €15. It's an awful lot more reliable than USB because it doesn't use any software running on the PC, everthing is handled by the router hardware. If you're desktop icons are still disappearing after that then it's got nothing to do with the router.

Wrong...i also did a fresh install and connected the Ethernet DIRECT to my PC, my Gigabyte GA-8INXP motherboard has onboard Intel Pro 1000MT onboard LAN chip.

I have the latest drivers from Intel, installed the drivers directly after a fresh install from Windows XP Pro SP1. The lag was WORSE with the Ethernet than with the USB drivers/connection.

You still have to install drivers for your onboard LAN no matter what. So that help is not much to me as i know it's an issue releated to the router and nothing else. A fresh install with nothing but the Intel LAN drivers does seem to suggest to me a basic issue with how Esat have the Zyxel 623R setup and the firmware preinstalled.

The thing is, i have the Zyxel 630 is it's PERFECT...no lag, no delays, no problems....so why is the 623 behaving differently?

Originally posted by Ripwave
    It's a dual Ethernet/USB device: http://www.zyxel.com/product/model.php?indexcate=1030617987&indexcate1=1021877946&indexFlagvalue=1021873638
    I'll second that suggestion.

No help at all here...i'd like to hear from other IOLBB users that have used the Zyxel 623R and their experience. Others around the globe have experienced the issue i described. They found a way round by assigning a static IP in the TCP/IP settings and disabling DCHP in Windows. I know IOLBB is setup to dynamic IP.

I tried this and could not access the internet, thus it has to be something within the web configutator and the Zyxel modem, maybe because it's set to act as a DCHP server in the Zyxel?, have Eircom users who use the Cayman Netpopia suffered any lags, freeze up or delays when booting up or from a restart?

Any froze start menus or missing icons?...again, i've tried the Zyxel 630 and it works perfect, so WHY should it be different for the Zyxel 623??????

:(:confused::( :mad:

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Richard Dower
    Others around the globe have experienced the issue i described. They found a way round by assigning a static IP in the TCP/IP settings and disabling DCHP in Windows. I know IOLBB is setup to dynamic IP.

I tried this and could not access the internet, thus it has to be something within the web configutator and the Zyxel modem, maybe because it's set to act as a DCHP server in the Zyxel
    If the Zyxel is set up as a router, then you should be getting a 192.168.*.* address on your PC, but the router itself will be getting a public IP address that it uses to talk with IOL. You can set a static 192.168 IP address on your PC and ignore DHCP entirely. You don't need to get this address from your ISP, and it won't impact the connectivity between the modem and ISP. If the problem persists when you do this, it's not a problem with the modem.

If you're not getting a 192.168 address, then your modem is in "bridge" mode.

(Ethernet net drivers are a lot "lighter" than USB drivers, because the basic technology dates from a time when we were still using 8086 CPUs with 640K of RAM, and they had to be small, and couldn't rely on the CPU to do much work for them).

It's setup with the default factory and firmware settings assigned by Esat, it is set to routing. So basically the lag is due to the Zyxel obtaining a public IP address from IOLBB.

So can anyone explain WHY the Zyxel 630 never had this problem, nor does it have any issues when i installed it after using the 623R?

Connecting by Ethernet has a worse lag then using a USB connection and the drivers from the CD with the modem, every single time i get a lag using the Ethernet connection, it was intermittment using the USB connection.

Is this a known issue with routers?....is this normal and is everyone experiencing the same?

Or do i have a dud modem from Esat?, a new one is due tomorrow after calling for a replacement. If the same thing happens it's BYE-BYE! to this crappy modem, get my €50 back and return to my very basic, but trustworthy, Zyxel 630!

It's setup with the default factory and firmware settings assigned by Esat, it is set to routing. So basically the lag is due to the Zyxel obtaining a public IP address from IOLBB.
    No, you're not using the public IP on you computer, so a lag between the modem and IOL getting an IP address won't impact your PC.

What happens when you do as I suggest, and give your PC a static address?
    So can anyone explain WHY the Zyxel 630 never had this problem.
    It doesn't do DHCP.
    Is this a known issue with routers?
    No.

Originally posted by Ripwave
    No, you're not using the public IP on you computer, so a lag between the modem and IOL getting an IP address won't impact your PC.

What happens when you do as I suggest, and give your PC a static address?
    It doesn't do DHCP.No.

I tried to assign a static IP, i went into local area connection, TCP/IP settings, assign static IP, i used the following settings according to the manual that Esat sent:

IP Address- 192.168.1.33
    Subnet Mask- 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway- 192.168.1.1

Nothing happened on a restart, same lag except i could not access the internet...then i disabled DCHP Client running using MSCONFIG...turn it on and turned it off...same result.

No internet access and still the lag continued....totally confused at this stage. Last resort is trying to go back a step, i had a GeForce MX440 before buying the Radeon 9700 Pro....it appears this card is faulty too!

It appears the E7205 chipset is incompatiable with this chipset and causes problems, i tried the latest 4.2 and older drivers sets...it crashes.

Thus i am going to get back my MX440...install that and try the Zyxel 623R...i am troubleshooting every damn thing i can think of. My system was PERFECT upto buying the new Radeon and the 623R....now it's all pants.

If need be i'll simply use the Zyxel 630 and buy a Nvidia FX 5700 or 5900...bloody computers!

:mad:

IP Address- 192.168.1.33
    Subnet Mask- 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway- 192.168.1.1
    What addresses does your system use when you do successfully connect to the internet?

• Advertisement
Advertisement