Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Estate Agents - rant

• 13-02-2004 11:58am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭

Currently my pet-hate as I'm trying to move house and was wondering about other people's experiences with them.

I think they're overpriced and the agents (not all of them obviously) are lazy and unbelievably rude.
    I mean, they charge a fortune (approx 1.5% of house sale price) and all they have to do is open the door. They don't actually have to 'sell' houses to people.

We found a house on myhome and rang The EA (Mason Estates) to book a viewing. Three times we were told someone would call us back and they never did.
    They've said things like
    "That house is very expensive you know"
    (meaning, "I don't believe you can afford this)

Really??!?!? I didn't even look at the price. :mad:
    "Well before we make an appointment, have you got your finance in place?"

Mind your own freakin business.
    You can view at 6pm. That's 6 sharp, not 5:55 or 6:05

He soon learned some respect after this one.

I'm not taking any crap from these snivelling salespeople anymore and I'm definately selling my own privately and save myself over 5 grand in the process.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Reyman

Seller's market still I'm afraid!

Estate agents behave as bad as they get away with!

Wait, though it will turn. If interest rates go up or emigration starts again or "people get sense" these boyos will be out of business!

Give it one to three years
    the rental market is already slipping into trouble!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

You're quite right, Sleipnir. I've sold one house and bought two without any estate agent involved. The day after I'd sold the first house a local estate agent called in, looked around delightedly, and said he could definitely get me a particular figure for it. When I told him that I'd just sold the house for double that figure he was gobsmacked.

While I was shopping for the next house, I viewed a house belonging to people I knew. I phoned them afterwards to warn them that they really should put away their valuable trinkets, as people were wandering around by themselves. They were furious; the agent had promised that he'd stay with anyone viewing. Not at all! He sat at his ease in the front room handing out brochures and taking names and addresses!

I knew the people next door to them as well; having watched the agent work on that house, they decided to sell their own house themselves. The agent called to them and stood on the doorstep ravening about them taking the bread out of his children's mouth by not letting him handle the sale!

Another person I know had her house with an agent who, she says,

* didn't put it on the website (but charged for it)
    * didn't put it in the papers (but charged for it)

It seems that the agent just rang around the usual suspects. This seller did most of the work herself, sending around circulars to likely buyers.

If you like the look of a house and there's a board up, knock on the door and talk to the people inside. They'll make sure to tell you when you can look at it. You'll still have to pay the agent's fee, but at least you'll save yourself work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,451 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by luckat
    If you like the look of a house and there's a board up, knock on the door and talk to the people inside. They'll make sure to tell you when you can look at it. You'll still have to pay the agent's fee, but at least you'll save yourself work.
    Eh, buyers don't pay the agent's fee, the seller does.
    Originally posted by luckat
    The agent called to them and stood on the doorstep ravening about them taking the bread out of his children's mouth by not letting him handle the sale!
    Retort (a) he would be taking the bread out of your children's mouth (b) you have a shotgun and he's trespassing and making threats ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭commuterised

We were selling our house and buying another this time last year.

Liked the look of a house on myhome so rang the agent (Jackson Stops in Bray) they are brutal about organising viewing times.
    They will not view in the evenings or weekends, lazy shower. We had to take time off work just to view this particular house.
    When it comes time to sell again I am definitely not using them to sell for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 795 ✭✭✭a_ominous

They will not view in the evenings or weekends, lazy shower. We had to take time off work just to view this particular house.
    I hate estate agents, so not sure why I'm saying this.
    It may not have been the estate agent who wouldn't view at the weekend. The vendor was probably still living there and wanted to do usual things like doing the laundry. Having your (clean) washing on the line does not help sell a house.

Why I hate estate agents: when selling a house silly fecker from Gunne lost the house key before a viewer was due. I had to run around and give the key. They were more interested in the buyer than me.
    Steer clear of the bastids; it's a seller's market so selling a house is not difficult. Watch a few housey progs on telly and learn some of the tricks. P!$$ easy to do and save yourself 3-5 grand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,451 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by a_ominous
    I hate estate agents, so not sure why I'm saying this.
    It may not have been the estate agent who wouldn't view at the weekend. The vendor was probably still living there and wanted to do usual things like doing the laundry. Having your (clean) washing on the line does not help sell a house.
    Fair enough, but most people work during the day, during the week. For both buyer and seller, evenings and weekend would suit much better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 RealEstateRant

We've just had to leave mason estate agents after they lied to our faces despite having the proof in their possession that we were correct - photos they took of the property before a tenant moved in - in order to cover up their lie, they sent all the photos except the photo of the damaged item in question. After confronting them face to face, we were basically told our business is not important and insulted by being called liars.
    I have dealt with numerous real estate agents, who typically are pretty useless, but mason estate take it to a new level of laziness, lack luster, pompous and arrogance that do not deserve to been in the market if that is how they treat customers. AVOID at all costs!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Zombie

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement