Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone with their own mailerver on DSL?

• 13-02-2004 12:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭

Bored out of my head last weekend so I decided to make an old Pentium2 (near silent) into a mail server ... I tried a few apps and have ended up with desknow (there is a lite version that is free) .. its a email/webmail/message board etc etc server ... very nice, but its killing my old P2 .. I think a bit of playing around with it could make it into a web server as well (edit the login_default.jsp etc)

So, its either stick with desknow and upgrade that old bucket of shit P2 or
    are there any other mailservers that are light on resources?, webmail would be a big plus ... windows app preferably

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭maxheadroom

I know you said you wanted a windows solution, but you really really should consider linux for this...

postfix + apache + php + squirrelmail + IMAP and you have a webserver, an email server and a webmail server. Add mysql and you could easily have your message board too...

Yeah I agree. Linux would way better than Windows on low end machines.

Ive an old p2 which I installed FreeBSD on. Its fairly solid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Sesshoumaru

I am using openwebmail on my linux mail server at home. Very easy to setup compared to squirrel mail and a lot of nice features.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

I've been using it for a week now and it works a treat ... nice app, easy to administer, and while linux +5 or 6 apps could do the same it just isnt as user firiendly and definitely not integrated like this one is ...

BTW, and extra 64MB of ram (to a massive 96 megs) did the trick, she stopped stuttering under load ... works a treat now :D ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭mag

Bar far your best option is SME Server.
    Ive got an old p2 running an ftp / http & a mail server. Its a synch to setup & runs itself basically. No ****ing around with compiling, etc... I had no Linux experience before installing it & i probably still know as much, it just works & thats it :)

http://www.e-smith.org/download/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46 monk

make sure you lockdown the security on the mailserver and put up a good firewall or you could find your mail server sending out spam within a few weeks
    :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

She's well locked down ... by default desknow tell you to add ip's of machines that will be allowed to use it as a relay .... Zonealarm stopping any stupid shit being sent out and my netgear router (and zonealarm) stopping stuff coming in, except for the few ports being forwarded.....

Might have a look at that server mag ... you just never know

Advertisement