Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quake 3 runs too fast!

Options
  • 13-02-2004 12:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭

I just installed Quake 3 on my new system (P4 2.8 HT, Linux)
    It all runs fine except for the fact that the game seems to be running in fast forward.
    Are there any commands I can execute to make the game run slower?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

maybe you have timescale set to a value higher than 1. Other than that I can't see how it would run faster than default speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

yeah other than \timescale 1 i cant think of any other reason, it is a very fast game tho :)

Are u using Point Release 1.32b-3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭Enygma

It's something to do with hyperthreading, or SMP to be more precise. When I run a regular kernel it's fine. Even the system clock runs way too fast.
    Weird...

Thanks though!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

well are u running $quake3 or $quake3-smp ??

I tried them both, same thing. Saw a few posts on mailing lists about this. Gonna have to look into it more.

Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭[CrimsonGhost]

Originally posted by Enygma
    It's something to do with hyperthreading, or SMP to be more precise. When I run a regular kernel it's fine. Even the system clock runs way too fast.

I don't see how it can be SMP being a problem, unless you failed to mention that your new machine is a dual processor beast. Certainly I've never had any problems with q3 on dual machines, with or without \r_smp 1 or whatever the variable is called being set. It is more likely the hyper-threading causing the issue.

Yes it's something to do with hyperthreading alright. UT2K4 was the same.

Works fine with HT turned off

Advertisement