Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

problems with PC World...need advide

Options
  • 13-02-2004 1:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hi, I was told this is the place to go to get some proper advice:)

I bought a laptop in PC World in June 2001. I took out the 3 year extended warranty thing at the time, which will expire this year.

Anyway...I've had to send it back for repair a total of three times since. The first time was in 2002, and again last year. The laptop ceased working again a few weeks ago (there was no power...basically it was dead) so I left it in for repair on January 19th last. I got it back today, and it is still the same i.e. not working, plus the plastic panel on the side of the CD drive was broken off. Hence pissed off. According to the "repair report" the system board was replaced.

So basically I'm looking for advice on where I stand legally. Am I entitled to a refund, or a replacement? The warranty explicitly states that if they can't repair it, or if it takes longer than 6 weeks, they will replace it. I suspect that it may have been dropped during transit, but really I don't care how it happened.

Any advice appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,370 ✭✭✭✭Victor

You could go to small claims court for very little money or simply send them a solicitor's letter. Straight off (tonight!), before the above, I would send them a registered letter explaining the situation and demanding satisfaction, this sets out that you are in dispute and stops them denying that the guarantee has expired, etc if the scenario drags out. You might also try billing them for the time you ahve been without a laptop, especially the amount of time beyond the 6 weeks.

I don't think you are entitled to a brand new laptop, but you are entitled to a working laptop equal or better than the one you bought. You might alternatively try to get a substantial discount on a new laptop or other equipment and "trade in" the old one.

Advertisement