Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ESB & Broadband Ready LAN

• 13-02-2004 4:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭

I was in the ESB shop today in Artaine, and noticed, while reading one of their new pc/laptop brochures that one of them had "Onboard 10/100 LAN (Broadband Ready)"

On asking one of the ESB-heads if a particular laptop had onboard lan (it wasn't marked as such) he immediately went into a conversation about a big cable going from america, around ireland a few times, then onto England. it's owned by the ESB, and that it will, next year, allow all users of any home LAN to have broadban access onto their LAN, and that this LAN would be a LAN that was Broadband Ready. Aswell as being a Broadband Ready LAN, it'd be a LAN that would allow all users of a home LAN to have Broadband Access - that is, if home users have a LAN, then they can use a Broadband Ready LAN to use Broadband.

You're thinking exactly the same as me ... STOP SAYING LAN :)

I then went on to point out that LAN and Broadband are completely separate things. A conventional LAN is a small collection of computers of no more than say 4 or 5 machines (small home network type thing). And that they'd usually work at 100 speed.
    Aswell as the generic Broadband speed currectly available is 512KB ... half of "1" and so it's 1/50th the speed of a typical LAN.

So he went off on his story again. *sighs*

Am I missing something?? He seemed very sure of himself that VERY soon (i can only assume that ESB would be providing this) that we'd all have 100 speed BB access at home over our ESB lines??

TBH, I felt it was all a crock of sh*t, but who knows, I have been known to be wrong every once in a while :p

Daniel

*edit*
    Now I'm aware that it probably just means "ethernet modem goes <--here kinda jobby" but it's still very misleading :) thought i missed out on some technical revolution :p

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Originally posted by zoro
    Aswell as the generic Broadband speed currectly available is 512KB ... half of "1" and so it's 1/50th the speed of a typical LAN.
    I think 1/200th is what you meant, I'll believe it when I see it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭zoro

Originally posted by OfflerCrocGod
    I think 1/200th is what you meant, I'll believe it when I see it.

Yeah whatever :) I just did the calculations quiclkly while typing ... I think I quoted "1000" times faster when talking to him anyway :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Originally posted by zoro
    I'm aware that it probably just means "ethernet modem goes <--here kinda jobby" but it's still very misleading :) thought i missed out on some technical revolution :p
    The brochure isn't misleading - it's not unreasonable to describe a laptop with an ethernet port as "broadband ready" (unless you go with UTV, but that's not the ESBs fault!

But the salesperson you described was talking through his arse, defo!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭Señor Juárez

sounds like he was just out of the training department alright...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭zoro

Originally posted by Ripwave
    The brochure isn't misleading - it's not unreasonable to describe a laptop with an ethernet port as "broadband ready" (unless you go with UTV, but that's not the ESBs fault!

But the salesperson you described was talking through his arse, defo!

well when you consider that i can see how an average home owner could get VERY confused about that:
    "so i just need this and i can get bb??"

you know? that's how it appeared ... plus he'd have said anything under the sun to have me buy every single laptop he had :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

I have a vague recollection of reading somewhere that the ESB broadband product would not be geared towards home use but for business. Maybe I am wrong though?

ESB Press Release?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭seanos

from what i remember reading a while ago;
    ESB will provide to homes anyway, using homes electrcitiy wiring [plug ethernet adapter into wall socket], and currently in testing afak.

Problem, to best of my memory [has been a while], last I heard was that the latency of this style of connection varies a great deal.

Hopefully ESB will stick with their fair pricing - and will force other competitors to become more ... well competitive.

Sounds nice what their doing anyway - referring to that article, that mean that maybe ESB will be doing an eircom on it, and leasing their lines out to other ISPs to use to provide internet maybe? ;-0

[on side-note ; amusing fact, ESB being told to raise prices, as at their current pricing, they are too low for it to be profitable for competitors to enter our market. So they are being told to raise prices, so there can be a competior, and we can have a competitive market, which will be good for us as it will give us cheaper prices ...... Don't ya love Ireland? :) ]

Advertisement