Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone see the marionette (string puppet) guy on Graton Street?

Options
  • 13-02-2004 4:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭

Hey,

There is a busker on Grafton Street who plays with a marionette with weird french music playing in the background.

Anyone seen him?

Basically it is a puppet dancing around, walking up to people, falling over, doing weird things. It is so excellent, and actually made me laugh out loud (not common for me!)

I used to think the skanger rapper guy with the weirdo doing the beats behind him was mildly interesting, but this string puppet guy made me realise just how awful, non-artistic etc most buskers are on Dublin streets.

<rant over>

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

good old days, reminds me,
    you know the square behind the bank, there used to be a muppet guy, sounds similar to the one your mentioning, although he was playing nusrat fata ali, music, asian classical singer, anyway i wish i had a pic, i actually took one back in the day, 2001 i think it was, :|

• Registered Users Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭conZ

I saw him in Galway last Summer - the puppet is a Jester I think.
    Brilliantly done.

There was this fat american man watching him, the puppet clippety-clopped over and up his body, then with a swing, knocked the cap off his head. Brilliant.

Quality, 1111 posts :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Johnny Versace

That's him! I saw him do the hat trick as well :D

The performace really had quite an effect on me... very beautiful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭revelate

yeah, he's great..though some kids have been known to be scared by it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

hmmmm, havent seen him, tho one cool busker-esque fella was the guy selling the bird noise things. my friend bought won, then we confused passers by by holding a perfectly rational convo, him twittering, me talking

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

how about the three guitarists who play beatles,jimi hendrix and the like.i always spend a few minutes watching them when they play.

Within the last few days, a pianist has turned up on grafton street. Seeing someone playing a piano on the main shopping street on the south side is fairly strange.he's good though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭adjodlo

Originally posted by Johnny Versace

I used to think the skanger rapper guy with the weirdo doing the beats behind him was mildly interesting,

DO NOT diss the man and the machine!

"Smoke weed and get hiiiigh!!!"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

Yeah, kids seem to freak out cause they don't know if it's real or not. That's testament to the puppeteer for ye.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Funky

i saw him at christmas, amazing puppetry

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Originally posted by Johnny Versace

I used to think the skanger rapper guy with the weirdo doing the beats behind him was mildly interesting, but this string puppet guy made me realise just how awful, non-artistic etc most buskers are on Dublin streets.

<rant over>
    Were they featured in the slate one time?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭Nike_Dude

Within the last few days, a pianist has turned up on grafton street. Seeing someone playing a piano on the main shopping street on the south side is fairly strange.he's good though
    Yeah I thought I was seeing things last friday. Really strange, but good

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

The puppet guy is a legend, but I've learned to keep my distance because he tends to slag people who stand in the circle around him. He once got the puppet to walk up to my mate and smell his feet, upon which time he caught the whiff and collapsed backwards!

The human beat-boxer seems to be pretty amazing as well. A lot better than the average MTV crap anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭DArcy

TimAy- how about the three guitarists who play beatles,jimi hendrix and the like.i always spend a few minutes watching them when they play.

Those three are excellent...spent forever listening to them on Friday afternoon. The atmosphere was real cosy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Overunder

Hey,

There is a busker on Grafton Street who plays with a marionette with weird french music playing in the background.

Anyone seen him?

Basically it is a puppet dancing around, walking up to people, falling over, doing weird things. It is so excellent, and actually made me laugh out loud (not common for me!)

<rant over>
    Havnt seen him but I'll keep an eye out for him...Anyone seen Connor Lambert's Punch and Judy show?

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Overunder wrote: »
    Havnt seen him but I'll keep an eye out for him...Anyone seen Connor Lambert's Punch and Judy show?
    Thredge.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭daisy123

Wow. 4 years. Wow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭eldeabroad

Oh, he sits at the corner of Beggar's Bush
    Astride of an old packing case
    And the dolls at the end of the plank were dancing
    As he crooned with a smile on his face

Da-da-da-da
    Come day, go day
    Wish in me heart it was Sunday
    Da-da-da-da
    Drinkin' buttermilk all the week
    And it's whiskey on a Sunday

His tired old hands from a wooden beam
    And the puppets they danced up and down
    A far better show than you ever will see
    In the fanciest theatre in town

Da-da-da-da
    Come day, go day
    Da-da-da-da

In nineteen-o-two old Seth Davy died
    His song it was heard no more
    The three dancing dolls in the dustbin were thrown
    And the plank went to mend the backdoor

Da-da-da-da
    Come day, go day
    Da-da-da-da

On some stormy night if you're passing that way
    When the wind's blowing up from the sea
    You may still hear the song of old Seth Davy
    As he croons to his dancing dolls three

Da-da-da-da
    Come day, go day
    Da-da-da-da
    Da-da-da-da

as sung by auld Ronnie of course

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭flanum

wheres Graton st?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

flanum wrote: »
    wheres Graton st?
    Apparently it's in Dublin somewhere. I have tried google mapping it but to no avail. Strange...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

I presume this is the guy?

That's really good stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

daisy123 wrote: »
    Wow. 4 years. Wow.
    Quite a drag.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭afatbollix

god id give him 2 euro just for them you tube videos hes brilliant...

Advertisement