Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

xp pro partial re-install

Options
  • 13-02-2004 5:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭

Here is the situation, if you can help I'd really appreciate;

I have XP pro on a dell desktop....it stopped today so I tried system restore with no success.
    Dell won't provide support because XP pro was loaded over XP home. (arraagh)

In a rush of blood to the head I put in the recovery cd but it asked to reformat the disk so I stopped because i really need the files of the disk first.

Now with the recovery cd out of the PC, when I boot up it still wants to launch an installation of XP.....

Here's my plan:
    Take the drive out and install it as a second drive into my home PC (Dell XP home) then copy accross the files I really need. Then re-install into the work PC and continue with recovery cd.

will this work ?

Thanks in advance !!

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

yep - as long as the formatting hadn't started you should be able to see the filestructure ok

Hyzepher

Advertisement