Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Projector, Plasma or LCOS

Options
  • 13-02-2004 5:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭

i am looking into buying soe new home entertainment for the house, i was all set on a plasma until i came across the posts with Projector advice and that swung me towards them, I know how much a projector costs but how much would a decent size screen cost??

PS - anyone hear of LCOS ( liquid crystal on silicon ) a new type of tv which is a lot cheaper to make than plasma tv with better quality, rumour has it , it will drive down the prices of plasma tv's, available early next year (so i hear?)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭raphaelS

A screen will start at 200-250€ and can go up to 1000€ for a big motorised one.

On average you can go for 300€ for a less than 2 meter large... which makes the couple projector+screen the cheaper choice. How much is a big plasma screen, what is the size of the bigger (and more expensive!) one...?

Raphael

• Registered Users Posts: 3,341 ✭✭✭Fallschirmjager

gav,

i got mine on ebay for around 150 euros and it 90 inches across widescreen version. before all ye hacks sound off about shipping -- it was around 30 dollars....

• Registered Users Posts: 24 derrie

LCOS is a new product which is being developed by Intel but there's no production silicon being manifactured yet. They'll prob. ship to the states first though!

The basic idea is that instead of using two layers of glass with transparent conductors they use a layer of glass and a mirror which has the conductors contained on it, this is manifactured straight onto a silicon die - making it cheaper to product than traditional LCD's

here's the official press release:
    http://www.intel.com/pressroom/archive/releases/20040108corp_a.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

Projectors are good if you want to watch everything in the dark. If you wake up on a Saturday morning to watch Soccer AM you'd have to turn out the lights and close the curtains.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭gavnolan

I've no problem watching Hells bells in the dark on a sat morning!!

:->

Cracking show though, best on tele!!

ps Derrie, I reckon it could be worth the wait for LCOS but you're right, the states will have it first!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭xm15e3

Intel LCOS sounds like it will be the way to go. They are shipping to OEM's now, so they should know if they are going to hit their price point.

As you've probably seen on the web:

52 in screens at less then $2000 US. (I've read they'll start at $1800 and go down from there)

First available to consumers just in time for Christmas '04...Critical for the US market since the NCAA Bowl season and Superbowl will be a huge cause for demand. (Personally I can't wait!)

First run will be 720p (1280 x 768 pixels), with 1080p (1920 x 1080 pixels) "Very" shortly after. Kinda like the old pentium 60 then pentium 90...(ask some old guy if you don't remember anything under 400Mhz.)

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭dwayneburke

as a matter of interest what does a good projector cost....intend to use it occasionally for matches and movies only

Make model recommendations?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭Dac51

Advertisement