Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AMD XP2600+ operating temperature

• 13-02-2004 6:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭

Hi,

I've just myself a new pc, its got an AMD XP2600+ cpu inside. This is my first pc and the first time I've been able to examine the operating temperature of the cpu so I'm not sure exactly what I'm looking at... but the CPU temperature monitor constantly reads around 59C... Is that too high? It seems a little hot to me but like I say, I don't really know.

Any help/advice would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

do u have a gigabite motherboard ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭SideshowBob

It's an ASUS A7N8 I think, sorry, can't remember exaclty and it's at home

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

well basically it is too hot tbh a lot of people try to keep the cpu temperature down under 50c at load and that could be with an overclock and a voltage increase which generates more heat for example idling now my cpu temp is at 40c.

as bizmark is hinting at though is that the reported temperature depends on your motherboard so you should check out what is "normal" for your motherboard, check out the manufacturers forums or something. are you using the stock amd heatsink, is it seated properly, did you use thermal paste, did you use too much thermal paste, does your case have good airflow, theres a few things that could contribute to a high temp

data

well i have a 2600xp and its at the shop being repaired from.........overheating

much like you it started at aroun 55 c then over time rose to 72c

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 946 ✭✭✭XDA

It seems a little high. I have a 2800+ and running setiathome with 100% cpu usage all day and night it runs at a contstant 51C.

XDA

• Advertisement

cheers...

It's brand new, not oc'd and that temperature is when there's no load applied. I got the system from Elara so I didn't build it myself. What are my options when it comes to better cooling? The fan is already pretty noisy.

Bizmark, did I see that you had to send it back to Elara for repairs? I had a struggle just to get it from them but that's a different story.

Well i find that odd two 2600xp cpu's in two different motheboards build by the same people haveing the same problums

And ya i had to send it back i havent had any probs with elara though i think you should get a Rma number and get it repaired.....Because even with 2 120mm fans in my case the heat just kept going up and up and up.....Maybe elara have some Defative 2600xp cpu's

Get it fixed it wont repair itself

i wonder do elara just lash the stock cpu on with some crap thermal paste or a thermal pad which results in really bad temps

that might be it to

bizmark, I'd be really interested to hear what happens with your system. Could you post what the new temperatures are when you get it back?
    Or should I accept that I've got no hope and that the CPU will eventually burn itself out?!?

• Advertisement

you can't accept there is no hope get onto elara, the fact that there is two of you will only strengthen both your cases, you have faulty parts/computer send it back, its covered by warranty, go to the commercial interaction sectionof boards and get onto jeanie from elara

:rolleyes: well i have no warrenty with elara anymore .....I knew the 120mm fan of death would kill my warrenty damn evil fans!

well, I knew I could go back to them if it's needed. I just didn't realise that I could go to them now about it, thought I'd have to wait until it gave up the ghost or the temperature reached cooking levels... Like I said, don't know too much about CPU op. temps.

Thanks for the information guys, much appreciated. I'll give it until maybe Monday of next week, just to see what happens... it being Friday evening now, nothing will happen over the weekend anyway.

Poor Bizmark! I feel your pain, I feel my pain coming soon as well...

yes poor bizmark is broke now bah

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,270 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Out of curiousity
    where is the temperature sensor - is there a standard position on the board ?

Do any CPU's have thermal sensors in them that give readouts or is just the internal intel thing to slow the chip down ?

i think gigbyte mb read the temp from inside the cpu itself and then just have a case tem monitor stuck somewhere else

i think a number of motherboard manufacturers place them directly under the socket

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,654 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Originally posted by SideshowBob
    but the CPU temperature monitor constantly reads around 59C... Is that too high?

No it's not - stop worrying, your cpu works upto about 90C. Keep an eye on the temp under load though, you don't really want this to hit 80C-85C

Make sure you enable temp monitoring in BIOS so the system will shut down automatically at say 80C

That temperature is normal with stock HSF and a case with fairly poor circulation. If you want to overclock or want to work the PC hard, get a better HSF. I'd recommend the Zalman 7000CU (about €45)

Advertisement