Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless LAN - Ad Hoc mode

• 13-02-2004 7:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭

Hey,

I need to set up a basic wireless LAN at my parents house sharing an ADSL connection between 2 computers.

What I've got planned is:

Computer 1 - Directly connected to phoneline and internet over ADSL.

Computer 2 - With a wireless NIC.

If I install a wireless NIC in the first computer and put both the cards in ad hoc mode, I should be able to use the first computer as a gateway for the second to access the net. That sound like it'd work okay?

Thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,851 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael Collins

Yeh that should work fine. Enable Internet Connection Sharing on computer 1 and then set the gateway on the other to be the IP address of the first one. I recommend ip addresses in the 192.168.0.1 to 192.168.0.255 range. Any problems, just ask.

Advertisement