Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Build Problems

• 13-02-2004 7:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭

Hiya Guys.

I have just tried to upgrade the old work horse with a ABIT KV7, Athlon XP2600, 512MB DDR Ram, ASUS Radeon 9200 Gfx Card.

When I try to boot the bugger its gets as far as the boot screen detecting the CPU and memory and then it hangs. It appears as thou the keyboard is hanging on it.

Now a couple of things I am not sure about. This motherboard has 2 power inputs, the first is the standard ATX which my 300 Watt PSU has but there is a 2nd ATX12V1 one and the manual and everywhere else I have looked has bugger all info on whether its either or, or both connected at the same time. Also is a 300 Watt PSU enough for this CPU?

If anyone has seen anything like this or give me a pointer as to where the issue could be I'd appreciate it.

Gandalf.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

BTW my PSU only has a ATX connector and not a ATX12V1 one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Do u have a cheapo psu ?

:dunno: im a bit worried by this because i just bought a load of parts from kompleet same Mb 2400xp geforce 5200 256meg of ram....and ill be running it from a antec 300w ....So if your haveing troubles i might :dunno:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I have an abit NF7-S 2.0 with an XP2800 in it. It requires both the regular ATX power supply connector and the atx12v1 to be connected. I've no idea if your motherboard has the same requirement or not.

Edit: I was running this rig with a no-name 300W ATX psu which came with my case, but it was getting a bit flaky (i have lots of hardware installed), so I upgraded to a nice Antec 400W.

do all modern psu come with this Atx12v1 connector ?

Hmm don't think its a cheapo, its a Globalwin one. Anyway as bizmark says do all PSU's now come with both these connections?

Gandalf.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Originally posted by gandalf
    Hiya Guys.

I have just tried to upgrade the old work horse with a ABIT KV7, Athlon XP2600, 512MB DDR Ram, ASUS Radeon 9200 Gfx Card.

When I try to boot the bugger its gets as far as the boot screen detecting the CPU and memory and then it hangs. It appears as thou the keyboard is hanging on it.

Now a couple of things I am not sure about. This motherboard has 2 power inputs, the first is the standard ATX which my 300 Watt PSU has but there is a 2nd ATX12V1 one and the manual and everywhere else I have looked has bugger all info on whether its either or, or both connected at the same time. Also is a 300 Watt PSU enough for this CPU?

If anyone has seen anything like this or give me a pointer as to where the issue could be I'd appreciate it.

Gandalf.

Have you tried to enter the bios on boot up to configure your hard drives etc or is it not getting that far? A decent 300 watt power supply should be fine.

All new power supplies should have the connector the Pentium 4 boards use them. Just had a quick look in the tech forums and I'd say that is your problem.

Any that I've seen anyway. The 300W one that I replaced (which was 2 years old at that stage) had one.

Naw its hangs on the 1st screen before it normally detects the drives. Hitting Del to enter BIOS has no effect. The Num Lock/Cap Lock/Scroll Lock keys flicker when its booting but no joy after that at all.

So it looks like I need a new PSU cause my one which is around 3 years + old doesn't have a ATX12V1 Conn at all.

Any recommendations ?

Gandalf.

Antec 300-380 watt

dont think theirs a better psu maker in the world

Enermax are good too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,582 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

lol any psu that has a name on it is good

unless the name is q-tec

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭kmb

On the manuals its says you dont have to use the 12v so this shouldnt be your problem.If you look at your psu under 5v it should say 30 amps which is the bare mininum as a pc with lots of hungry drives need 35amps to be comfortable.It could be a irq problem.Take out all cards except graphics and make sure that the ide cable is plugged in right as if you have it on the wrong connector on harddisk thinks will hang.I think it should be on the black one but try both.Also disconnect any cdroms in case jumpers are clashing (i.e.both set to master)
    let us know outcome...do the ide first!!
    regards kieran

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Gandalf just noticed you didn't mention upgrading the fan, I assume you have and its running ok athlons do not like overheating.

Originally posted by kmb
    On the manuals its says you dont have to use the 12v so this shouldnt be your problem.If you look at your psu under 5v it should say 30 amps which is the bare mininum as a pc with lots of hungry drives need 35amps to be comfortable.It could be a irq problem.Take out all cards except graphics and make sure that the ide cable is plugged in right as if you have it on the wrong connector on harddisk thinks will hang.I think it should be on the black one but try both.Also disconnect any cdroms in case jumpers are clashing (i.e.both set to master)
    let us know outcome...do the ide first!!
    regards kieran

HMm from what I have read on the PSU manufacturers sites (Antec) it looks like it is a requirement. I am quite sure my PSU would be able to take the strain its just a bit too old without the right connections!

As for your other recommendations I actually did all that already. It wasn't even making it to the IDE detection. I would detect the CPU and memory (correctly) and then hang when the "Press Del to enter setup" text appeared.

A new PSU was in the plans, just a few months down the line when I started adding new components to the system. Its been bumped up now and I won't be heading out tonight to save the cash for it :(

Gandalf.

(BTW Muppet this is my 2nd Athlon system and I bought a lovely Quiet Glacialtech Gold plated Fan for the new CPU :p)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭kmb

Well i know my nforce2 didnt list it as a requirement but if it was available from the psu use it.Did u check the 5 v output on the sticker on side of psu?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

Quick note,

Best PSU names would be...... Antec, Fortron, Zalman, Be-quiet, Enermax, ThermalTake, PCP&C...... Anything around 350w and your totally safe (once its a good brand). All of the newer PSU's have the P4 extra power connector. On some AMD boards it wasent nessary (Asus A7N8X, Some MSI boards etc) , AFAIK all the newer Abit boards require it and i suspect thats your problem.

For a quiet PSU with good voltage rails try .....
    www.hitide.ie (be-quiet range )
    www.elara.ie (antec - more pricey)
    www.pc-look.com (Fortrons, Antec's - french site , shipping more expensive)

If you get one of the brands above you cant really go wrong TBH, the more watts the better obviously :) . The 350w be-quiet one for €61 looks like the best option as Antec's are more expensive. Or the Fortron 350w on pc-look.........the be-quiet will be alot quieter (unless you mod the fortron's 120mm fan to run at 5v , in which case its silent).

Advertisement