Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need a anti static thing to install a heatsink ?

• 13-02-2004 8:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭

As the title says

Do i need a antistatic wristband etc to install a new heatsink in my pc ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

No. Just be careful and ground yourself off a metal part of the case first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

k thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,654 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Originally posted by Stephen
    No. Just be careful and ground yourself off a metal part of the case first.

True, but in order to be safe, you would have to keep being grounded doing this, so you need to keep holding the case. I used to do this by keeping a part of my bare arm touching the case so I could still use both hands, but decided it's a lot easier to use the wristband. Better safe than sorry :)

well i wont have a wristband for a while till komplett get all my other pc parts to me

But ill be getting my other pc back monday or so and ill need to install a new heatsink to stop it burning up :( so i wont have a wristband for it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,582 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

once you ground yourself u should be fine.

just don't go wiping sweat and what not off your hands on your clothes/carpet and go back to inside your pc without grounding again! :D

• Advertisement

one of theis days im going to touch the screen of my tv and touch the cpu with my other hand to see what happens :D

Thanks for the advice lads :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Would latex gloves not solve the problem. Cheap and cheerful.

BloodBath

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

I build me computer without using a static band or anything,
    just touched the silver casing on the inside of the case a few times

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,654 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Originally posted by Lenny
    I build me computer without using a static band or anything,
    just touched the silver casing on the inside of the case a few times

Oh yeah, you'll be grand most of the time, but the one time will come that a part gets fried ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

yeah i've lost a modem to what i can only presume was static, was working, took it out, brought up to cousins as he needed a modem to test something brought it home and it wasn't working anymore, wouldn't mind it was a good modem that connected at 48-52 not like the one i replaced it with ah well its all good now

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

Originally posted by unkel
    Oh yeah, you'll be grand most of the time, but the one time will come that a part gets fried ;)

I have a static band an all, just didn't bother using it. build 4 computers and have added things etc to them..
    guess I'#m just lucky :)

Advertisement