Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newbie on first PC Build need advice & suggestions

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

i remember asking Komplett about the VAT thing on the phone a while back. they basically said they don't offer a Vat-less purchasing option. I think you have to buy the goods and then claim the VAT back the normal way (revenue comm or whatever)

has anyone bought stuff off komplett vat free?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭neokenzo

Originally posted by joePC
    3:LG 1710B, the 1720B is out now @ the same price so go with that. just an updated version.[/URL]

I had wanted to get the 1720B after looking at it. After reading the specs, it doesnt have a DVI-I which the 1710B has. Is this right? What other good TFT's are there that has DVI-I?

Originally posted by COL_LOKI
    OCZ is good memory so is mushkin, Corsair....... geil isint bad. There pretty much the performance brands with better timings. For a good site that sells OCZ and has free delivery (based in kildare) try www.pc-memory-upgrade.co.uk . Watch to make sure your checking the same timings...... think the Mushkin L1 has 2-3-2 timings while OCZ has 2-3-3 (i might be thinkin of the gold series).

How does this timing works? The smaller the better or the bigger the better? ie, 2-2-2 is better than 2-3-2? or 2-3-2 better than 2-3-3? And is the lower ns better or the higher ns better?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

with memory timings the lower the better the best stuff you can get i think is 2-2-2-5, similarly with ram the lower the nanosecond the better, that applies to all memory eg graphics cards as well. the nanosecond on the ram is related to the frequency so by knowing what ns memory you have you can work out what frequency your memory should be capable of.

e.g 5ns ram, 1/5 *1000 = 200Mhz, or 2.86ns ram 1/2.86*1000 = 350Mhz

you can get a good indication of how well a graphics card will overclock by knowing the ram on it then

data

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭joePC

your right 1720B has only a DSUB input + a 2 port USB hub.

I have a 1710B im selling it almost brand new no problems @ all, no dead pixels etc.... €450 you save 60 odd €'s

PM me if your interested.

Thanks joePC

• Advertisement

Presumably if I get the Asus K8V mobo, then I can only get memory PC3200 and below right? It would be useless to get the PC3500 as the mobo doesnt support the memory? Is that right?
    I check Asus website on what memory have been tested with the mobo, can I still use other memory that isnt on the list?

the motherboard will support pc3500 memory and above it will just run it at 3200 speeds, however if you want to overclock you would do well to have memory that is able to handle higher frequencies

Here is my new list at the moment. I'll probably start getting the stuff tommorrow.

Asus K8V Deluxe
    CCU AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Tray
    Coolly S478/S754 ZALMAN CNPS-7000-AlCu
    1Gb kit EL DDR PC-3200 Platinum Limited Edition - OCZ
    Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 160GB S-ATA_S-ATA/150 8MB cache 7200RPM (x2)
    DVDR IDE NEC ND-2500A +-R/RW bulk black
    Sony Floppy Drive, 3,5" 1,44MB Black_Floppy Drive Internal
    128MB Sapphire Radeon 9800 pro litre tl
    Arctic Cooling VGA Silencer
    Creative SELF-SERVICE Audigy 2 ZS Retail
    MSI TV @nywhere Master, Tv-Tuner_Stereo, PCI, Retail
    CABLE Serial ATA (SATA) Advance 75cm (x2)
    Adaptor cable SATA 4-Pin on 15-Pin (x2)
    Thermaltake Purepower 480W, Black, Active PFC Butterfly Edition
    Modern Life Style XaserV Series- Damier V5000A Black Series
    17" Monitor L1710B/17" TFT .264 80kHz TCO99 silver DVI

Anything I might have forgotten? Any cable or adapter?

very nice system, i think you have the power supply adaptor cable in that seagate s-ata drives need. is there any specific reason you went for a thermaltake psu? i haven't heard anything bad about them but they don't usually crop up when i hear people recommending psu's like antec, be-quiet, fortran etc. might be something to consider, personally i'd go with an antec one.

data

Originally posted by Dataisgod
    is there any specific reason you went for a thermaltake psu? i haven't heard anything bad about them but they don't usually crop up when i hear people recommending psu's like antec, be-quiet, fortran etc. might be something to consider, personally i'd go with an antec one.

Originlly I did want to get the Antec True Blue 480W. But then after reading the reviews on the Thermaltake, I decided to go for it because:
    1. It has dual Sata connector cables
    2. It has an addition fan
    3. Its compatible with the case I am getting
    4. Its slightly cheaper than Antec.
    5. I like the 7 flash colour
    Originally posted by Dataisgod
    i think you have the power supply adaptor cable in that seagate s-ata drives need

Is that the Cable serial or Adapter cable?

• Advertisement

just checked out some reviews seems like a quality power supply would, fantastic package and all that and comes with s-ata power connectors (which was the adaptors i was mentioning as i needed one for my antec), in one review the rails i saw where fantastic better then the values on my antec, which is oveclocked though so i don't think it makes much difference. the rails didn't really change going from idle to load which is a good sign i think.

Thanks Data.

As I am going to get my stuff from various places. What kinda things should I avoid buying from foreign countries such as Germany. I wouldnt want to buy something and find out the language is only in German and not understanding it. I'm avoiding all power plugs from Germany because of of the different pin. Anything else I should avoid?

hmm i don't know, power plugs seems the obvious one to me but only because you mentioned, i picked my stuff up from komplett, overclockers and overclock, your getting the graphics card from jescomputers is it? i reckon you'll be alright with most stuff as you won't need the manual and chances are it will have multi languages anyway

Well I suppose you are right. The thing is I saw on computeruniverse.net for Audigy 2 ZS its says Retail, German. That made me think what if the software comes in German only? But you are probably right as for a company like Creative, they would probably supply with a multi language software.

well if it says retail german it is possible that the software is in german and i suppose it is something to be wary of, perhaps you could source it elsewhere or email em to find out?

If I want to connect both my hdd with Raid, do I need any extra connectors or anything like that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

Nope no extra connectors, just make sure you have the connectors needed - ie power adapters (i think your PSU comes with them) and SATA cables (some motherboards come with 1, some with 2, some with 0).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

PS on the Audigy 2, i got mine from www.hitide.ie and the box was all in german but the software asked if you wanted english etc....... mines working perfectly and couldnt be happier with it.

I just have ordered 1Gb kit DDR PC3200 Dual Channel OCZ Platinum Limited Edition (2x512MB) from www.shop4memory.com and then I realised that Asus K8V Deluxe only supports single channel memory. Will this make any difference?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭joePC

No the memory will still work 100% just not in Dual channel mode, the memory is the same as if your bought them separatly, The "Dual" just mean they've been tested in a Dual channel environment.

Thanks joePC

• Advertisement

Originally posted by joePC
    No the memory will still work 100% just not in Dual channel mode, the memory is the same as if your bought them separatly, The "Dual" just mean they've been tested in a Dual channel environment.

Thanks joePC

Will the RAM work effectively enough? When I check the specifications for the RAM, they have 2-2-2-7 timing and 4.5ns. Will they still work the same timing as single channel? Or is the RAM set at those timing based on dual channel?

no the sticks should be rated to those specs for each one so you should be fine

Advertisement