Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

His Dark Materials

Options
  • 13-02-2004 9:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 25

I've just finished reading this excellent Philip Pullman trilogy and I heard a rumour that the rights have been sold to New Line Cinema to eventually be turned into a film, is this true?

Of course there is massive cinematic potential for the books- so long as they are delt with properly- no one wants to see them turned into a 'Happy Pottor-esq' travesty!

Chris Columbus better keep his grubby paws off Lyra!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Fence

I have only just started to read this series, really good. And have heard that it is the Beeb who got the rights??

Okay a quich google proves me wrong, the BBC did a radio version, but New Line do have the cinema rights. Amusingly the first site that google threw up was some religous thingy giving out about it. So I looked again and found this BBC news story from Feb 2002

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 ridgewalker

I've read the trilogy also and would feel a bit ify about the prospect of a screen version of the books. People get some many different things and have such different take on these books depending on age/religious beliefs etc. I dont think these books can be as easily translated to screen as harry potter considering the various subtext goin on.
    His Dark Material ROCKS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭midget lord

I really enjoyed this trilogy too and reckon it could be converted to the silver screen if dealt with correctly. Firstly it will apeal to all markets in the age divide, for instance the two main characters are kids, the daemons and the interdimensional travel will appeal to kids. The whole religious connotation and genius of the story itself will appeal to the older generation.

I wonder how the catholic church will feel if they put togther a movie?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Depends, if john paul is still alive by then, they might object.

But if he's copped it, and the new pope is more tolerant it might go better

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭quank

tbh, i would love to see His Dark Materials made into a film
    but wouldnt it be really hard to interperate it into film
    since everyone would probably see it differently in their head?

I'm sure they said the same about LOTR and that worked out quite well :) So all you need to do is get Peter Jackson involved, then hope for the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭adnans

http://www.geocities.com/tscarlsson/glod.html

man, im two thirds into the 2nd book and im hooked. who would play Mrs Coulter though. cant think of anyone with a screen presence today that she demands from the books?

adnans

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭Ichiro

I know a while back that they did a theatre production of the Dark Materials
    Triology.
    Starring a one Timothy Dalton of 007 fame.

Looked good.

http://www.officiallondontheatre.co.uk/shows/display?contentId=72509

Would you belive it tomo is the last day and I happen to be in London.

Unlucky or what.

Read the Books and Loved them

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Sesudra

I've always seen Cate Blanchett as Mrs Coulter myself.The toughest part of making the books into films would be the daemons.First of all,they'd have to be able to shape shift from animal to animal convincingly and also have to talk.Could come off as very twee and Salem in "Sabrina"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭adnans

Someone never watched the Babe movies :) anyway, with the CG technology, you can do anything.

adnans

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Sesudra

The whole Babe thing is my point.They were all cute comedy animals,and a pretty narrow selection i.e pigs,sheep,dogs.For the film of these books,they'd have to interact with each other and there would be a huge range-seagulls,wolves,monkeys,hares,geese etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭Almarsáre

According to imdb.com Tom Stoppard is adapting the book for the screen.

He's the guy who won on oscar for Shakespeare In Love.

While I did enjoy that movie, its not quite to the standard that I would be hoping for a His Dark materials adaptation.

Oh well, fingers crossed that I'm proved wrong.

Advertisement