Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dark Steel (Complaint!)

• 13-02-2004 9:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭

Right, I've been collecting for a few yearas but only got really into the game about a year ago, have tons of old cards from ex-players and am fairly good at building decks and playing. I was horrified at the relase of Morridian and prayed for good cards to help destroy all those horrific artifact creatures etc, wheich it released.

Fast foreward to Monday or Tuesday, I buy my first booster of Dark Steel in 3rd place and am horrified to see an industricable ability on cards. Just wondering what more shocks I'm in for.

Plus please fell free to comment on the layout change.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

yeah, i know what you mean, all the new cards are really changed. but on the upside, stuff like buyback and phasing is gone.

So older cards get much better, i have a friend who had disturbed burial, which is a really good card now, way better than it was back in its own day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭sionnach

hrmm i think i should leave a few weeks before i start posting my opinions. Ull never really know how it affects gameplay until you play people using the indestructible cards and those shields of kaldra.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 895 ✭✭✭imp

Tbh what gets to me is when you go to a shop and they have every variation under the sun (mirrodin, dark steel etc.) and no core set packs... Seems to be becoming less of a problem recently.

}:>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

I'm not a big fan of Mirrodin or Darkstell, tbh.

Personally I'm a big fan of BIG creatures, ala Akroma/Rorix/Visara.

But then I'm pretty happy with combo decks either.

Big FAT decks will probably phase out or die horribly/repeatedly, for T2.

I'd love to do a white weenie deck again (Counter/post) but I'd doubt you'd get the same quality cards for the deck again. Sure counterspell itself is gone :(

Actually, now that you mention it, I find myself getting far too many creatures when I buy cards these days. I'm much more a spell person, methinks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭article6

I agree that making some artifacts indestructible was going a bit too far... but you can always remove them from the game. Mirrodin Block as a whole is fairly good apart from that (but nowhere near as good as Invasion). Personally, I expected its theme to be "card draw", but "artifacts" has worked a lot better than I thought it would. It's the first set for a long time I've actually bought cards from, since they're fairly hard to find if you live in the Midlands and can't drive to Carlow. But now the local toy megastore is selling boosters for €4 each. Bliss.

<<EDIT>> As for the layout change, don't get me started (I blame Yu-Gi-Oh). <<EDIT>>

€4 each?? You're getting completely ripped off. Try and get up to Dublin when you have a chance, they're much cheaper here :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Havelock

Even in Dublin you get shafted in both Sub City and Forbidden Planet, the only place to go is 3rd Place on Crow street, No SNP mark up (3.50 a booster and 8.99 a core or deck box)

Aye, that's where I meant. As much as I like Ritchie in Sub City, he charges through the roof on just about everything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭article6

Interesting... *gets out 1897 edition of Thom's Directory and looks for Crow Street*

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Pascal

A well placed wing shards takes care of all indestructable creatures. And its funny as hell when you do it!!
    I have never been successfully attacked by an indestructable artifact creature.

I dont think there is anything wrong with the indestructable creature cards.

The big power in terms of creatures are the ones like Ancient Ooze from Scourge which I have seen as powerful as +40/+40.
    And now imagin equiping it with a mirrodin artifact to give it trample!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Lyconix

Originally posted by Havelock
    Even in Dublin you get shafted in both Sub City and Forbidden Planet, the only place to go is 3rd Place on Crow street, No SNP mark up (3.50 a booster and 8.99 a core or deck box)

Are tournament packs also €8.99? Do they stock them often?

Have visited on one occasion, but they only had boosters on offer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Konsu

Originally posted by Lyconix

In Forbidden Planet they're about €14.

Originally posted by Ivan
    Personally I'm a big fan of BIG creatures, ala Akroma/Rorix/Visara.

Haven't actually heard of them but, in my red/green deck, I have Ancient Ooze's and nothing I've ever seen compares to an Ancient Ooze although the Copperhoof Vorracs (2/2 that gets +1/+1 for every untapped permanent your opponents control)come close in big multiplayer games. Even in single player everyone tries to make sure to tap all their permanents and some people are even willing to mana burn to keep the Vorrac small.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Originally posted by Pascal
    A well placed wing shards takes care of all indestructable creatures. And its funny as hell when you do it!!

Also wave of indifferench. specially if combined with fists of the anvil

/me laughs evilly :D

Originally posted by Lyconix

Have visited on one occasion, but they only had boosters on offer.

Make sure you go at the weekend, its the only time the basement is open and that's where the better selection is.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Lyconix

Originally posted by imp
    Make sure you go at the weekend, its the only time the basement is open and that's where the better selection is.

Yep, I was down there. Is it open on Fridays, or just Saturday/Sunday?

Advertisement