Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Eircom Products

• 13-02-2004 10:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭

Home Plus

512K/128K
    24:1
    Lo-call helpline
    100MB Webspace
    U/L: Unlimited
    D/L: 8GB
    Static IP: €50
    Unlimited Email Accounts

Price: €54.45
    All current customers will be switched to this service on march 1st.

Home starter

512K/128K
    48:1
    Premium Helpline
    50MB Webspace
    U/L: 1GB
    D/L: 4GB
    Max 5 Email accounts

Price €39.99

Previous Customers can drop down to this product for free untill April 19th, after that a €72 charge will be incurred.

Sean

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

previous Customers can drop down to this product for free untill April 19th, after that a €72 charge will be incurred.

ROFL. it takes about.... (whips out a calculator and makes a series of extremely hard calculations).... 2 minutes maximum to change someones account to a faster speed etc.

Every other company i contacted (before i settled on IBB) said it was free to switch to a faster/slower product.

Eircom are really milking the cow for everything its worth. Its madness charging 72euro for something thats basically just opening up a customers account info, and clicking a few buttons to set their connection to a new speed, and another few clicks to change billing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Mutant_Fruit its eircom you almost sounded like you where expecting a good deal

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

What does all this mean for IOLBB users?...€ircom seem to have the best deal right now and the 24:1 ratio is a must!

I also love the idea of a static IP...this may just resolve the issue i posted about yesterday, to which no one has offered any advice or insight, and would speed things up and not having any freeze ups or lags.

And belive me i have formatted and a fresh install of Windows XP Pro SP1 with noting else added, no updates or software...just the USB drivers for the Zyxel 623...i get the same thing, it's obviously a lag caused by obtaining an IP address and a delay in doing so. Strangely is intermittent...Esat have dispatched a replacement modem so we'll see if it's just an issue with the one i bought.

Thus a static IP would resolve this issue completely for me, so the question is....what package can Esat now offer to keep us with them?
    They'll have to better the €ircom offer to attract new customers, i rang sales yesterday and they said that pricing would drop in line with the 25% cut in BB wholesale rates.

So they will probably offer two packages, one for existing customers and one for new souls, at €39.99 for new customers Esat will have to better that.

I personally think they should give a FREE static IP to existing customers, on request, drop the contention to 24:1 and upgrade to 768/128!

They already offer a Lo-Call support number with an 8GB download...come on Esat!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Originally posted by Mutant_Fruit
    Eircom are really milking the cow for everything its worth. Its madness charging 72euro for something thats basically just opening up a customers account info, and clicking a few buttons to set their connection to a new speed, and another few clicks to change billing.
    Like Line Rental, it's a service that oreillycom have a complete monopoly on providing (even if you go with a reseller, the port change fee goes to oreillycom, not your reseller), so they'll milk it for everything they can get away with.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

what is the IOL ratio? i thought it was 20:1 or something

Flogen

• Advertisement

Originally posted by flogen
    what is the IOL ratio? i thought it was 20:1 or something
    IOL are just reselling the base oreillycom service - all the technical characteristics (speed and nominal contention ratio) are defined by oreillycom.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

ah right, cheers....
    looks as though IOL are going to hit back soon enough though, besides, i try to avoid giving money to eircom whereever I can..

i thought the new eircom €40 deal was only 256k?/

Flogen

Originally posted by flogen
    i thought the new eircom €40 deal was only 256k?/
    There was some speculation along those lines in the last day or two (god alone knows who started that particular one), but, as with any rumour, it should have been taken with a very large grain of salt (as it made absolutely no logical sense in terms of the current market, it was never worth taking seriously in the first place).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

Would a 256K product be available to people further away from the exchanges? thus letting people who have failed before, now pass with a lower speed?

Im sure there would be alot of people willing to pay maybe €25-€30 Per Month for a 256K service instead of dial up, if 512K wasnt available to them?

Sean

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

Originally posted by Richard Dower
    What does all this mean for IOLBB users?...€ircom seem to have the best deal right now and the 24:1 ratio is a must!
    Eircom don't have the best deal right now. The service isn't availible yet. By the time it is, Esat and UTV will have new offers to compete.

I also love the idea of a static IP...this may just resolve the issue i posted about yesterday, to which no one has offered any advice or insight, and would speed things up and not having any freeze ups or lags.

And belive me i have formatted and a fresh install of Windows XP Pro SP1 with noting else added, no updates or software...just the USB drivers for the Zyxel 623...i get the same thing, it's obviously a lag caused by obtaining an IP address and a delay in doing so. Strangely is intermittent...Esat have dispatched a replacement modem so we'll see if it's just an issue with the one i bought.

Thus a static IP would resolve this issue completely for me
    Unlikely. With a static IP your computer still has to connect to IOL to get your IP. The only difference will be that it gets the same IP each time. It won't reduce lag.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by rabbitinlights
    Would a 256K product be available to people further away from the exchanges? thus letting people who have failed before, now pass with a lower speed?

Im sure there would be alot of people willing to pay maybe €25-€30 Per Month for a 256K service instead of dial up, if 512K wasnt available to them?
    The so-called 512K product is a 256K product. It will deliver up to 512K, but will degrade gracefully to 256K if your line isn't good enough (like a V90 modem can deliver speeds between 33K and 52K)).

As for passing/failing, oreillycom have no shortage of customers at the current levels, so they don't see any need to relax they test standards.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭lamaq

Went in to the Eircom Broadband demo shop on Henry Street just to see what exactly they were offering that was new.

First thing is the old offer (free connection, modem, ect) is completly gone now and you won't be gauranteed any connection for 15 working days from March 1st.

To get a new connection now costs E100 and you don't get the first free month anymore. I worked it out as costing E580 for new users in the first year, compared to E605 with the old offer, so not much differnce there. IOL are still offering free modem, first month and connection up until February 20th btw.

The other "extras" were get a PS2 or XBOX for E100 or a 15GB iPod for E200.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭neokenzo

Any news on the eircom BB Business Plus scheme?

Advertisement