Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Western Rail Corridor

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭westtip

Why not go the full hog like CIE/IE wished to do some years ago, and terminate all trains at Athlone - with onward bus connections to Galway, Westport, Ballina.....:D

oh no mayooth would be a much better idea....twas only a thought...not a particularly good one I have to add, however if you live on the east side of the city/town with the DC of M6 it will probably be quicker to get off at Athenry and make your way home via road than to continue into Eyre Square and have to get home from the city/town centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,417 ✭✭✭✭Victor

KC61 wrote: »
    There have not been any public timetables published by Irish Rail yet (draft or otherwise), but I still see no reason why trains would terminate at Athenry. Note that in the interview it was the RUI guy that suggested that might happen and not the Irish Rail manager.
    Depending on the timetable and how it interacts with Dublin-Athlone-Galway, it might make sense not to have two trains doing Athenry-Galway within a few minutes of each other and they might be able to squeeze an extra service or two per day out of the same number of vehicles.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

Victor wrote: »
    Depending on the timetable and how it interacts with Dublin-Athlone-Galway, it might make sense not to have two trains doing Athenry-Galway within a few minutes of each other and they might be able to squeeze an extra service or two per day out of the same number of vehicles.

That's true Victor, but I'd be surprised if they do. Load factors on services into/out of Galway are good - remember some services are now only 3-car 22K units and this may change with the new timetable with more 3-car services operating.

If that's the case I suspect that separate services will operate. Remember too that WRC services will call at Oranmore too, something I would expect only the Athlone-Galway commuter out of the Dublin-Galway trains to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

KC61 wrote: »

If that's the case I suspect that separate services will operate. Remember too that WRC services will call at Oranmore too, something I would expect only the Athlone-Galway commuter out of the Dublin-Galway trains to do.

Where's this station in Oranmore that will be operating in September?

Would the ten extra services on the single line section between Galway and Athenry be times when people would want to travel or times when it'd suit the staff of IÉ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Cool Mo D

Isn't the service basically going to be an extension of the existing Ennis-Limerick service, with the same railcars and frequency?

Is there any chance of it being extended to Cork, to give a direct Cork-Galway-Limerick service? At least that would beat the bus, as the M20 will be a long time coming.

• Advertisement

Cool Mo D wrote: »
    Isn't the service basically going to be an extension of the existing Ennis-Limerick service, with the same railcars and frequency?

Is there any chance of it being extended to Cork, to give a direct Cork-Galway-Limerick service? At least that would beat the bus, as the M20 will be a long time coming.

At the minute advertised timetables for the train and bus show the train beats the bus by only 15 mins for the quickest train journeys.
    Some train journeys are considerably longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Cool Mo D

Is that for Limerick to Cork? There's a half hour layover in Limerick Junction that would be avoided if it ran direct. And it can easily take 40 minutes for a bus to get out of Limerick City at peak times, so I'd be confident a train could beat it - train should take no more that 1.5 hours, which is the same time as it takes to drive off peak.

It's for Cork to Limerick, I presume the times are roughly symmetric.

Where's this station in Oranmore that will be operating in September?

Would the ten extra services on the single line section between Galway and Athenry be times when people would want to travel or times when it'd suit the staff of IÉ?

My bad....it's not opening quite yet!!! But I understand that is the plan.

I don't know what the timetable will be yet, and to start speculation like that really is somewhat disingenuous. In fairness most of the new timetables that have been developed in recent years (Dublin/Cork, Dublin/Sligo, Kerry route) have all been customer friendly.

It'll probably fit around some of the existing Ennis-Limerick services, but remember that it has to also fit around the Galway/Dublin route as well.

I'd be surprised if it went beyond Limerick Junction as that would require more 2700 class trains, which there are not.. The top speed of a 2700 is 70mph, so the 201 hauled Mark 4 set would probably catch up with it before they reached Cork!

• Advertisement

Not as long as the WRC! Atlantic Corridor first please!

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Jim Martin

While we're at it, why not Rosslare as this could (and should) be an essential link in the network!

I wonder if WOT will apply pressure on the Greens for the completion of WRC ? in order to stay in Government - It would be the kind of lunatic idea they might apply.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,417 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Does this other thread remind ye of anything? http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=2055593841

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

Victor wrote: »
    Does this other thread remind ye of anything? http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=2055593841

That was a thread killer Victor!

We need resucistation...............

The WRC is a load of Bolli.......

WOT are a bunch of li.....

The line is an absolute waste of time and tax payers *money.

* I refer to the subsidy it will require.

I accept an infraction if its coming my way, but this thread deserves page one status forever. Its the funniest thread of all time. I will make the movie!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭Rawr

DWCommuter wrote: »
    I will make the movie!

Coming this Summer....

From the makers of 'The Knock Airport Affair' and 'Shannon Stopover 2 - Stop Harder'

One line...
    One desire...

Brenden Gleeson is Minister Noel Dempsey:
    [Dempsey]: We're going to build this line and it's gonna save this party!
    [FF Guy]: You do know there are no developments out there?
    [Dempsey]: WAAAAAAA?!!

Starring
    John Travolta as Fr Micheál Mac Gréil
    and Mark Hamill as WestIP:

[Mac Greil]: This line will devert the freight from every line in Europe via Tuam!!
    [WestIP]: That's not true! That's IMPOSSIBLE!!
    [Mac Greil]: Search your Timetable...you know it to be true...
    [WestIP]: God Damned WRC!!
    [Mac Greil]: Don't take the name of his rail-line in vain! <Whack!>

Featuring
    Thomas the Tank Engine as 'High Speed Intercity Rail Link'
    [Thomas]: You want me to do WHAT?!!

Get on Track for the Rail/Action movie of the year....

The Corridor

Rated TS...May not be suitable for TrainSpotters
    Warning: May contain scenes of mild stupidity.

DWCommuter wrote: »
    That was a thread killer Victor!

but this thread deserves page one status forever. Its the funniest thread of all time. I will make the movie!

Look forward to the movie DW and agree it is the "funniest thread of all time" - RAWR if you want some really good clips for the movie take a look at the shamateur show time on the WOT website! Hilarious stuff. I would be happy to be in the movie (for a large fee) only to p**s off the claremorris holy mafia.

As Kevin Keegan might say - if this line gets opened I would just love it ................

westtip wrote: »
    Look forward to the movie DW and agree it is the "funniest thread of all time" - RAWR if you want some really good clips for the movie take a look at the shamateur show time on the WOT website! Hilarious stuff. I would be happy to be in the movie (for a large fee) only to p**s off the claremorris holy mafia.

As Kevin Keegan might say - if this line gets opened I would just love it ................

Good to have you on board! We can have 'WestIP as himself' :D

Yes, the WOT Youtube Channel is sham-a-tacular!:D Gotta love those high-tech transitions....which...according to the mainpage of WOT's website, have earned one young film editor an Apple 'iTouch' (whatever the hell that is...)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

What have I done???:D

Rawr wrote: »
    Coming this Summer....

Get on Track for the Rail/Action movie of the year....

The Corridor

Man in deep voice says:

"It goes from nowhere to nowhere, collecting nobody on its way, passing through a field and bog, this is the future.....two centuries from now - the corridor is coming.....but not in our lifetimes......choo choo ... the future we face is the past we came from.... West on Track the teminators are back"

• Advertisement

Never mind all that stuff about the film that coming - see the recent article in the Greenways thread:
    Hopefully this will be taken up and acted upon, this will be great news for walking and cycling tourism if it happens. Lets add the northern section of the wrc to it as well. I know from discussions with Eamon O'Cuiv he is right behind this idea, think I will put this article in the infamous WRC thread as well!

See the article here: http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/ireland/article6591558.ece?Submitted=true

The worm is turning and it is clear that Eamon O'Cuiv meant what he said at the Claremorris event on May 1st - only a matter of time before the WRC is added to the list to be converted to greenways.

Never mind all that stuff about the film that coming - see the recent article in the Greenways thread:

The worm is turning and it is clear that Eamon O'Cuiv meant what he said at the Claremorris event on May 1st - only a matter of time before the WRC is added to the list to be converted to greenways.

I would love to cycle the Burma road. I hope this comes to pass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

The way our useless Govt. and CIE operate it will not be long before the whole rail system is converted to Greenways. Will that keep you all happy?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭serfboard

A caveat - while I very much welcome his support for this idea, I wonder if Eamonn O'Cuiv would be advocating a greenway for Claremorris-Collooney if he were a TD for Mayo or Sligo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

serfboard wrote: »
    A caveat - while I very much welcome his support for this idea, I wonder if Eamonn O'Cuiv would be advocating a greenway for Claremorris-Collooney if he were a TD for Mayo or Sligo.

I have no doubt Mayo TDs will oppose the killing of WRC north or phase 3 or whatever the terminology is. And seeing as one of those TDs is poised to be a future Taoiseach who has expressed his support for this project whilst questioning the need for Metro North indicates to me WOT can still feel confident.

Remember which party bought the DART to Greystones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

Is there actually any updates on this thread on the progress of the WRC?

All I heard is that the Athenry-Ennis line is meant to open late this year? Its stupid that its not going directly to Galway city.

I'll post a few photos someday just to annoy several posters here :D

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Jim Martin

tech2 wrote: »

All I heard is that the Athenry-Ennis line is meant to open late this year? Its stupid that its not going directly to Galway city.

The local press are still talking about Sept - shame it's going to miss the Summer tourists!

I have no doubt Mayo TDs will oppose the killing of WRC north or phase 3 or whatever the terminology is. And seeing as one of those TDs is poised to be a future Taoiseach who has expressed his support for this project whilst questioning the need for Metro North indicates to me WOT can still feel confident.

Remember which party bought the DART to Greystones.

I fear that End-Of may well support the WRC and use his power as Taoiseach if such a thing comes to pass to go ahead with the lunacy advocated by WOT; it would indeed be the crass act of Parish Pump politics but those that guide him - and sign off on the litle money he will have for infrastucture projects may well just kill it off - no matter what End-of desires should he get his hands on the reins.

tech2 wrote: »

Read Minister Dempseys speech of May 1st at the Claremorris conference: Ennis - Athenry supposed to be opening September - never mind the stupidy of it not going direct to Galway this whole thing is about opening up a line which never went to Galway - you don't seriously think an entirely new line was ever envisaged do you???? It will be a complete white elephant carrying about 40 people a day if they are lucky with the schedule the trains will have.

Athenry Tuam and Tuam Claremorris are back on the agenda as feasibility studies - so thankfully they should be knocked on the head. Take a look at the WOT website for the speech - also read what Minister O'Cuiv had to say and make your mind up as to when it will happen to Claremmorris - Collooney which will never happen however West on Track will continue to "campaign for this vital piece of infrastructure" yawn - like give us the atlantic road corridor first and foremost. In the meantime what could be the opportunity for a fantistic piece of toursim infrastructure at relatively low cost will be completly ignored (greenway from Claremorris to Collooney).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

Read Minister Dempseys speech of May 1st at the Claremorris conference: Ennis - Athenry supposed to be opening September - never mind the stupidy of it not going direct to Galway this whole thing is about opening up a line which never went to Galway - you don't seriously think an entirely new line was ever envisaged do you???? It will be a complete white elephant carrying about 40 people a day if they are lucky with the schedule the trains will have.

I would take the wait and see aproach as regards to the number of passengers a day. 40 people a day would be very low indeed but it will be the case if tickets are excessively higher than the cost of the same bus journey.

I was making the point that if it was directly from Limerick-Galway it would be more efficent than a car and bus IF prices were comparable with the other transport options.
    Athenry Tuam and Tuam Claremorris are back on the agenda as feasibility studies - so thankfully they should be knocked on the head. Take a look at the WOT website for the speech - also read what Minister O'Cuiv had to say and make your mind up as to when it will happen to Claremmorris - Collooney which will never happen however West on Track will continue to "campaign for this vital piece of infrastructure" yawn - like give us the atlantic road corridor first and foremost. In the meantime what could be the opportunity for a fantistic piece of toursim infrastructure at relatively low cost will be completly ignored (greenway from Claremorris to Collooney).

Anything north of Tuam would be a complete waste. The N17 is very busy from Galway-Tuam so would a rail link here be feasible? It would be more used than the Limerick-Athernry-Galway line IMO.

The Atlantic Corridor will never be fully completed in my lifetime I can assure you that. However Gort-Tuam PPP is the one scheme that will make a huge difference to road infrastructure in the west. Even that is nowhere from certain to start next year.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement